StromTrooper banner

1161 - 1180 of 1206 Posts

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
The DRZ is probably to offroad for me, I really like the looks of the new KTM 390 ADV. It seems like it might hit the sweet spot for me!
I want to ride the TAT, researching dirt oriented dual sports for the trip.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I want to ride the TAT, researching dirt oriented dual sports for the trip.
I'm not sure how offroad the Tat is but the new KTM 390 might be worth a look. Same price range as the DRZ but more road oriented. 45HP, WP suspension, etc To me it splits the difference between a V-Strom 650 and DRZ400. If youw ant to do some hardcore single track then the KTM would not be an option. In that case though i'd look more to the 250cc KTM dual sports... I just found the DRZ not quite good enough for single track, jumps, etc and not quite good enough for road use over longer distances. Don't take that the wrong way though, I really miss my DRZ :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not to be derogatory, it's a curiosity question. I've no doubt the "Wee" Strom is a lot of fun for a little while then I can't help wondering if the "Wish I got the litrebike" question doesn't rear it's head.

The DL1000 has a top engine but a lot of weight to carry around compared to a sports bike, does the 650 not get very wheezy when you just want to have fun and hoof it up to ..... fun speeds, and want to launch out of a corner when you spy the exit.

I'm sure as a commuter for day to day use the 650 is a good choice but touring with luggage, even a pillion ......??

To repeat .... a n00b question of curiosity:rolleyes:

Grrrr:)
its hard to say. it depends on what you like. the 650 and 1000 have 2 different power deliveries. i have a 2014 1000 and i love it. i dont need to have a bigger motor to go faster. i have driven the 650 and it moves along. the difference is where the power is for me like on my 1000 its between 4k and 6k on that 90degree twin its different on the 650 and not saying that it wont keep up or handle long distance is not true they both will its just how that power is delivered to you and what you prefer.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I have both. The 1000 is better on the long hauls on the motorways, heavier, more stable and a bit more oomph for avoiding trouble. The 650 is better everywhere else, and in particular I find it less tiring to ride. Part of that is that in the more open stuff the 1000 IS faster (Yeah, I know, I could slow down ... ) , but it takes a real effort to stop and turn, I'm maybe not going as fast on the 650 but it turns effortlessly and is quicker through the tighter stuff.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yesterday went out for a ride with SWMBO as pillion and just our top box on. I am 6'2" and weigh around 225 with gear and SWMBO 5'9" and around 165.
Did 120 miles with 90 of them in the Hill Country back roads. On the way back, we both wanted to check out the traffic on Interstate 10 (hardly any except delivery vehicles!) and so on that road I kept it around 6k rpm's, which is 80 indicated about 75 true, and it just sang along. Still had more than enough to pass slower (or 75mph!) traffic as max torque is at 6400, and I noticed that with a pillion, the bike is much more stable on the open highway. Doddling around, the bike is still quite tractable around 4k but the motor sings at 6k and above.......smaller displacement, more gear changes. But who doesn't like snicking through the gears in the twisties;)

We came from an R1150RT (traded it against the Wee) and, as we are not doing any long distance stuff any more, I went for the DL650A. It really is the Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles and I couldn't be happier. After a 30 mile test ride on the Interstate and the twisties.....the 650 won my heart. Easier to move around the garage, easier to pick up, easier to flick through the twisties.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The extra power of the 1000 for me is apparent when [trying] getting away from all of the crazy cagers but mainly in the Ozark hills and twisties. The 1000 requires much less shifting and work frankly. Try a climbing twisty with the 650 and then immediately the 1000. When I bought the 1000 I kept the 2013 650A about a month to do a back-to-back comparison. It was an eye opener where I live. More power to weight is significantly better and it has nothing to do with high speeds but acceleration and torque. I didn't "get it" until I could go back and forth. ;-)

(we actually tested other bikes in our twisty testing like an Super Tenere, and Africa Twin, a R1200GS, a GSX 1000, and my Versys-X 300)
SECoda, I like the way you think. Would you please compare and contrast your Strom 1000 to the GS you rode? Year of the GS?

Due to a review on web-bike-world...
.... there was a review on W B W bike world on the V-Strom DL1000 ( 2015 i think) . One thing he said was the 1000 looses most of its power after about 5-6000 rpm and there was no use to even rev it that high. He said that since the engine was designed as a Ducati beater.. it was a very poorly designed and bad attempt. How can that be? Seems to me he had a bias for what ever reason. Seemed he really did not like the bike. I could not imagine how the DL1000 could be so much worse than the DL650.
TIA for your thoughtful response.

A little about me. Started riding back in 1972. Both the Kawasaki 175 on/off road and the Yamaha RD350 left me stranded more than once. Not due to lack of maintenance either. In 1976 I started riding BMW's. First was a 1974 R90/6, and then many different GS's and K bikes. ( GS my favorite by far). I even road raced the summer of 1993. Anyway, life's challenges have kept me off bikes for many years. Thinking that since I was older and can appreciate sights etc, I bought a 2018 Indian Springfield. Nice bike but NOT and I mean NOT!!!!! my style. Today, 4/12/2020 I want to get something I can relate to and enjoy. Time has changed things so much. Sadly, many of my riding buddies can now ride day and night and never need gas or other services. MY time for that is coming fast enough. I wanted to buy a 2017 used GS or GS adventure. But alas there is no longer a dealer closer than 200 miles. Also it seems that BMW's have a poor reputation for reliability and that BMW does NOT want to help much when problems arrive. Hence I am looking at the V-Strom.

All stay safe out there!
Cheers,
David

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I have both. The 1000 is better on the long hauls on the motorways, heavier, more stable and a bit more oomph for avoiding trouble. The 650 is better everywhere else, and in particular I find it less tiring to ride. Part of that is that in the more open stuff the 1000 IS faster (Yeah, I know, I could slow down ... ) , but it takes a real effort to stop and turn, I'm maybe not goi2ng as fast on the 650 but it turns effortlessly and is quicker through the tighter stuff.
I've had both the 650 (2012) and currently a 2014 1000. Can't agree with your opinion at all, here's mine!

The 1000 is a much better bike in every aspect except fuel economy and really slow speed stuff. Mine gets about 10mpg less than the 650 and feels more top heavy.

The 1000 handles and stops so much better than the 650. I don't notice it being harder to turn in if anything it's more precise. The suspension on the 650 always felt a kind of springy/under damped. The 1000 feels like it's on rails in comparison, nice and planted when leaned over.

The brakes on the 1000 are very nice, good stopping power and feel. So much better than the 650. I don't know how one could ride both bikes and complain about the 1000's brakes or suspension. Then there's the motor...

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
The suspension isn't as good as the modified suspension on my 650. Every now and then a pothole reminds me of that. The brakes on my 650 are as good as the brakes on the 1000, possibly the aftermarket wave rotors and master cylinder. (Note most of those mods were done after wearing out the original bits ....). The only expensive bit was the rear shock, but it's done around 250,000k's now and is on it's second DL650 and not so expensive in that context.

I did lower the front of the 1000 15mm a week or so back and that made it turn better, alas, no long rides possible at the moment so I don't know if it's going to be less tiring.

And as for the rest, I was going to get rid of the 650 after I got the 100 dialed in but it's so much better on the commute I've kept it. Heavy stop-go traffic is no contest in favor of the 650 and it uses 30% less fuel than the 1000 does on that run. In defense of the 1000 I don't see much on the way of litre bikes on my commute ever and certainly I see none doing that run day after day. It's just a situation where power and in particular acceleration is a real liability rather than an asset.

·
Registered
244 Posts
On WEB BIKE WORLD( reviewing the 2104 DL1000) ... the author said the 1000DL engine was even worse than the Ducati at the time they were competing ( circa 1990's) . He said that no use to rev past 6,000 as nothing much happened. I understand that the 600 is happy to rev its entire range. But he made it sound like one has to shift constantly to keep revs in the 4-6k rpm range ( unless I misunderstood). Is the 2104 Gen 2 engine flexible... kinda like a BMW boxer?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've had both the 650 (2012) and currently a 2014 1000. Can't agree with your opinion at all, here's mine!

The 1000 is a much better bike in every aspect except fuel economy and really slow speed stuff. Mine gets about 10mpg less than the 650 and feels more top heavy.

The 1000 handles and stops so much better than the 650. I don't notice it being harder to turn in if anything it's more precise. The suspension on the 650 always felt a kind of springy/under damped. The 1000 feels like it's on rails in comparison, nice and planted when leaned over.

The brakes on the 1000 are very nice, good stopping power and feel. So much better than the 650. I don't know how one could ride both bikes and complain about the 1000's brakes or suspension. Then there's the motor...
YOur words make sense about the gas milage. An engine is no more than a pump...period. For example 1000cc spinning at 4k, would be moving approximately the same air as a 600cc would be at 5000 rpm.....approximately. It make sense that under high power demands the 1000 would pull more fuel out of the tank.... but when we are talking about economy/ fuel consumed.... when an engine is at a steady state 4k or 6k.... they fuel needed will be relative to engine speed / load/ all of the external factors ( well lubed chain, wind, incline, weather, etc etc, etc). It is said that it takes about 15 hp to move a car 50 mph... but way way more to move it at 65. I know when it comes to tractor/trailers.... horse power requirements almost double from 55mph to 70!

When you say, "then there is the motor".... what do you mean? Does it feel unrefined.
Do it require you to keep it in the 4 to 6K rev range? From 6 to 8k, does it run out of pull power and instead just kind of wind up ?

·
Administrator
13,558 Posts
SECoda, I like the way you think. Would you please compare and contrast your Strom 1000 to the GS you rode? Year of the GS?
SECoda passed away last year. :(

..Tom

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
When you say, "then there is the motor".... what do you mean? Does it feel unrefined.
Do it require you to keep it in the 4 to 6K rev range? From 6 to 8k, does it run out of pull power and instead just kind of wind up ?
I was making comparisons and extolling the superiority of the 1000.

The 1000 motor makes about 1/3 more horsepower and torque than the 650. It delivers it in a more pleasing way to my way of riding. Not complaining about the 650 motor it's the best feature of the bike! It is very linear almost electric in power delivery, sewing machine smooth as some term it.

The 1000 is tuned for lots of torque at lower RPM. Personally that makes the bike much more relaxed feeling. You don't have keep the revs up unless you want to. Especially at highway speeds the 650 always felt a bit frantic to me, downshift and pin it to pass. The 1000 lopes along at 80mph feels much more solid.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I came from a 2001 ZX11 into my DL650. It would overtake a car at any speed. In about the time it took to think, "I think I'll pass this guy" you were already returning to your own lane. Fun, fun bike!
I had that bike for 18 years, and probably might have kept it had I room for three bikes. but the 650 is exactly what I wanted in an ADV bike: inexpensive, V-Twin, parts available everywhere and plenty fast for my riding, mostly 40-55mph/65-90kmh rural two lane. fits me like hand made. I'll keep this bike for another 10+ years, too. Then, in my 80s, I'll look at whatever is comparable to a KTM390 Adventure, or maybe an e-bike.

·
Administrator
13,558 Posts
Sorry to hear about SECoda... condolences to all! What is it like these days to ride with a chain? How much of a headache is it to keep up with?
If the chain you are referring to is the bike's then it doesn't have to be a lot of work.

I never waste time "cleaning" the chain. I lube every time I fill the gas tank and after every ride in the rain. This takes less than 20 seconds when the bike is on the centerstand. I use Wurth HHS2000 (called HHS K in the USA.)

My chains last over 50,000 miles / 80,000 km.

..Tom

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
On WEB BIKE WORLD( reviewing the 2104 DL1000) ... the author said the 1000DL engine was even worse than the Ducati at the time they were competing ( circa 1990's) . He said that no use to rev past 6,000 as nothing much happened. I understand that the 600 is happy to rev its entire range. But he made it sound like one has to shift constantly to keep revs in the 4-6k rpm range ( unless I misunderstood). Is the 2104 Gen 2 engine flexible... kinda like a BMW boxer?
I have a 2014 DL1000, it's a weapon if you use the revs.

The big difference from an inline 4 is that it FEELS slow because there's no sudden kick of power anywhere. The butt dyno lies because it's certainly not slow compared with sportsbikes on the local backroads any more. I'm sure they'd walk away on any long straight or with a really good rider on the sportsbike but I just don't seem to ride places with many of either. Admitted I'm probably in 2nd/3rd where a lot of them are in 4th but it's a quick bike if you make the effort.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a 2014 DL1000, it's a weapon if you use the revs.

The big difference from an inline 4 is that it FEELS slow because there's no sudden kick of power anywhere. The butt dyno lies because it's certainly not slow compared with sportsbikes on the local backroads any more. I'm sure they'd walk away on any long straight or with a really good rider on the sportsbike but I just don't seem to ride places with many of either. Admitted I'm probably in 2nd/3rd where a lot of them are in 4th but it's a quick bike if you make the effort.
So in so many words the dude on WEB BIKE WORLD... was wet behind the ears! ?

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I think it's more he wasn't in a situation where he had to work out how to make it go fast.

You need to have serious motivation. I found passing a group of guys on sportsbikes on some sloppy clay roadworks and spraying them with the clay I threw up was sufficient motivation to stay ahead but YMMV ;)

1161 - 1180 of 1206 Posts