StromTrooper banner

1101 - 1120 of 1142 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Heavyweight German to Japanese midweight.

I just traded in my 2003 R1150RT...owned it since new, did all the servicing on it and toured a lot 2up. Now I am a regular rider but "very occasional tourer" (with SWMBO on the back) and mainly for breakfast and lunch runs with an (extremely occasional) overnight.
The Wee was at our local dealer (also a friend) and it was a 2017 with 288 miles on it. I rode it and fell in love with it. I was actually going for a "day to day" bike and keep the RT but, in a fit of madness maybe, I traded the old Road Warrior in against the Wee. He had Tracer 900GT's, 1000's you name it but the Wee, although light, can handle two-up easier than the Tracer. Which has more h.p but less carrying capacity.
The 1000 I felt was not as well balanced as the Wee (and only 60lbs heavier!) and, as I don't need a Heavy Duty Tourer, the Wee really filled the bill nicely. Now, after a few weeks in the saddle, I have not second guessed myself on the trade one whit!

And no real complaints....the handling is good (after throwing around a 640lbs RT it feels like a feather!), I don't find the "buffeting" an issue (I am 6'2"), the seat is just fine for my ancient arse (I'm 216lbs) and it handles 2-up with aplomb!
The maintenance is a doddle, parts are reasonable (anything is reasonable after owning a Beamer) and, if its something I don't want to screw with, my dealer is now 5 mins from the house. The Wee had an EMGO top case on it already (I'll get a larger one for our two-up overnights), I improved the braking with EBC HH's, not exactly a bank breaking upgrade and I added Suzuki Hand Guards, a GIVI ST602 Tank Bag, Suzuki Center stand and Suzuki Under Cowling. All obtained via the Internet at great prices....

My background....ex Road Racer (Norton Manx 500cc), a Norton owner in my youth and my 20's (88 and 99 Dominators, 650SS) back in the "Old Country". Got back into motorcycling in the USA with Oilhead BMW's RT and R's.......wrenched them for years and have parts galore plus all the tools and manuals. All of which I am now selling!

Also, I never used "Rice Burner" as a derogatory epithet as bikes is bikes, right? Well maybe that is except for HD's:wink2: .

To me, the DL650 is probably the Swiss Army Knife of midweight motorcycles and an ideal "tool" for us "Elder Statesmen". Those of us in our dotage that want to continue enjoying our riding without developing hernias:grin2:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
wrong, this is inaccurate, it GET significant worse gas mileage, don't cheat yourself. Been tested and proved many times, unless you're riding down hill..

My 2014 gets 10 mpg less than the 2012 650 I used to own under the same conditions.

Significant? Not to me.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
I've read several different numbers for HP/Torque on the 1000. Rider Magazine reports the numbers as 99 and 74.5 respectively.

I love my 650. Currently eyeballing a 1000. The reason? My riding skills from the trip south allowed me to find the 650's limits on brakes and suspension. Never felt that power was an issue, but after riding the 1000 I can see how the extra power could be used.

So I have a choice, scale down my riding style within the limits of the 650's brakes and suspension, or make a change to evolve with me.

Both great bikes. It's not a one or the other scenario. It's the bike that suits your riding style the best. And up to now, my 650 has been amazing. If I make a change I will no doubt miss it.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
as I said, don't cheat yourself but take calculator and try 10mpg saving over e.g. 10 thousands miles...

I don't ride a motorcycle to save money!

I calculate that I have more fun on the 1000. :grin2:

·
Registered
209 Posts
as I said, don't cheat yourself but take calculator and try 10mpg saving over e.g. 10 thousands miles...
Depends on how long it takes to get to that 10000 miles. If you do that over the course of a year...that's maybe 10 extra bucks a month assuming gas stayed 2.69 an entire year. That's not an insignificant difference, but not really a deal breaker for most.

Really the biggest concern on motorcycles with MPG is range which the 650 does have on the 1000. But it doesn't hurt to have enforced breaks a little more frequently.

Sent from my ZTE Axon 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is how this will go......

Everyone that owns the 1000 will say it's the best

Everyone that owns the 650 will say it's the best

Trolling?
This is kinda my answer too.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I rode 1000 and 650 back to back and was swinging from one to another for a while, finally got 650xt and won't regret.
With older 650 a 1000 would be a clear choice but 2017+ models after engine improvements, power band etc 650 is just
more then enough what I need. Don't miss a 1000 low down torque as before.

·
Registered
549 Posts
There is no end to this discussion. Some will swear the 1000 is the only reasonable choice but others will say the same about the 650. Only the rider can make this call. Before buying my first Wee (2005) I spoke with two guys I ran into out in Death Valley, one on a 1,000 and the other the 650. They were buddies and had traded bikes back and forth so each was well aware of the attributes of both machines. Their answer was "Both were great bikes, each with its own advantages".

I have never ridden a 1,000 but I did spend a lot of years with my Triumph 1050 Tiger. I know what a 1,000 cc bike is like. After trading in my 2005 Wee on a 2017 DL650 I sold the Triumph. It was in perfect condition but I just didn't ride it any more. It had wonderful suspension, a beautiful 1050cc engine that would pull your eyeballs back into head, and so much more. But, all my ridding time was being spent on the DL650, including two-up with my gal. (wife actually). We saw no further reason to keep the mighty Triumph, the Wee was all we could make good use of.

1,000 or 650? There is no wrong answer. Both are great, just get the one YOU feel is best for you.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I've been riding both a lot lately (2019 models). The 650 is so cute!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I weighed between 650 and 1000, I bought the 650 because it is unbeatable in the market of this displacement. In the 1000cc range there has already a lot of choice and in some cases better than VStrom

·
Registered
254 Posts
I weighed between 650 and 1000, I bought the 650 because it is unbeatable in the market of this displacement. In the 1000cc range there has already a lot of choice and in some cases better than VStrom
that's exactly what swung me towards 650, in 1000cc market there are many better choices, sure more expensive but still.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Why not just get both?! I just picked up a '16 DL650 2 weeks ago. Already told my wife I'll stick with this for 5 years and add a 1000 in 5 years (which probably means 3).

·
Registered
34 Posts
For me its all about gas mileage for commuting. On the last suzuki demo day I loved how effortless the 1000 was but was more than okay with the 650's handling and power. Then again I was coming from a 2007 ninja 250.

·
Registered
745 Posts
If its gas mileage you are after, try out a cb500x. My wifes blows away my DL 650 mpg wise... ( and her carbureted ninja 250 as well lol)
from my fuelly records ,average US mpg:
DL650 55.4
CB500x 69.1
EX250 64.1

1101 - 1120 of 1142 Posts