StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 1142 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Vee vs Wee

G'day All.

New to the site so please bear with me on this.

I'm sure this has come up before, but here it is again - I'm not being contentious, I'm really looking for some real world advice from Strom riders to help with this decision.

I'm buying a new 2008 Strom next month but am stuck between deciding on the 1000 or 650ABS. A few details on what I will use it for may help.

Irregular commuting, (few times a month) only in decent weather but will be 15km freeway and 10km heavy city traffic.
Basic to the shops and back and to visit mates etc on the weekend.
Regular weekend rides with the boys 100-300km daytrips. Little bit of off road if the guys on the Bandits and Triumphs have the "cahones", but want the flexibility to go "bush" when I want. Nothing heavy, but get off the sealed roads and see the back country, mountains etc.

1-2 weeks tours, at least once a year when I get some leave.
99% of riding will be 1up.

I'm 48yrs young, 105kg's (230lbs) but fit and active and still play full contact sport every weekend.

So, Ive done quite a bit of reading on the subject, lots of road tests etc and it does seem that the 650 gets a better rap from journalists as being more flexible, lighter weight, really sweet motor etc etc.
However reading 1000 reviews the guys who have them love them. Have read of issues of the 1000 being lumpy and rough at lower revs though, but probably to be expected with 2x500cc pots?

Have ridden both, but not any distance as the dealers obviously won't give me a demo for a day:( so still difficult to get a full picture.

Concerns I have:
1. 650, maybe not enough grunt for longer tours - hard going into headwinds etc - my opinion only, have not tried it. How much would after market pipes help the 650?
2. 1000 heavier offroad, fuel consumption when out bush, lumpiness of motor.

I'm coming off a Suzuki GS850L shaft by the way.

All and any help/comments much appreciated - I know it's ultimately my decision but lots of experience out there that I'm sure will help.

·
Banned
593 Posts
If there is any doubt in your mind about power being an issue and you are an experienced rider, get the 1000.
Pipes do help acceleration on the 650... they lighten your wallet which helps the power to weight ratio. ;)
1000 will be more relaxed on the highway, but the 650 will do it well. Go up a tooth on the front sprocket and it's great on the highway.
If I had to do it over, I would likely get the 1000 over the 650. Don't get me wrong, the 650 is a great bike. I do miss the power sometimes though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This quote is a prime example of why these threads are useless.
Mate, feel free to stop reading them then. But there are a bunch of us who get real help and value from them, so thanks to those members who are contributing - is this not what the forum is for, to share info and ideas?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I am a 2003 Vee rider, and commute 37 mile round trip each day that I can.

44 mpg is what my Vee is returning but I'd love another 10 mpg! Knowing what I do now, I'd probably take a Wee for the mileage because of gas pricing if I was only commuting. Otherwise I love the Vee and wouldn't change. At my elevation (7,000 feet) in the Front range of Colorado the Vee makes up for the elevation related power loss that we all can feel if you live out here.

My thought on motorcycle magazines choosing the Wee over the Vee is this: They can ride any friggin' bike they want, any time they want, and are used to gravitating toward 120+ HP bikes, if you will. So when a small bike comes along like the Wee, they wouldn't be interested in the Vee because it is in 'tweener land on power relative to what they are used to. There are lots of 600-650 class standards that make similar power to the Wee, and the wee rocks compared to those bikes as an all-rounder. There are not many 1000-1200 class bikes making "only" 90 hp or so, and thus the Vee doesn't excite them relative to other bikes they ride. So I take all the magazine hype with a grain of sand or two.

OK, my $.02 worth...

·
Registered
662 Posts
I propose a ban on wee vs. vee threads...

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
No disrespect intended but...

Is there any way to make the search button something like 8"x8" and flashing hi-vis yellow and red? :D

·
Registered
499 Posts
BadTrainDriver,

Hey, your sentiments don't quite match up to the fact that you actually looked at the thread and spent time reading enough to form your opinion...

I'm guilty of the crime as well... Can't leave well enough alone and have to get my $.02 in.

But seriously, who has ever come up with the rationale I just shared about the mag riders and why they choose what they do?

I had an original thought and shared it, just like you did!

Have a good one!

·
Registered
8 Posts
For all of you with the whining attitudes who are complaining about this thread - dudes, use the two brain cells you might have and "don't click on the thread" !!! You will magically find by doing this it will no longer bother you - problem solved, glad to be of service.

Once again, for those who have contributed thanks for the info.

·
Registered
662 Posts
For all of you with the whining attitudes who are complaining about this thread - dudes, use the two brain cells you might have and "don't click on the thread" !!! You will magically find by doing this it will no longer bother you - problem solved, glad to be of service.

Once again, for those who have contributed thanks for the info.
is the guy with 4 posts really telling me where not to look? Why don't you take your own Advice and learn how to search

·
Registered
8 Posts
nope, look where you like, just stop whining, and once again if ya don't like it stop looking.

A lot like smacking your head against the wall - stops hurting when you stop smacking - by the way this may also be useful advice for you?

·
Registered
662 Posts
nope, look where you like, just stop whining, and once again if ya don't like it stop looking.

A lot like smacking your head against the wall - stops hurting when you stop smacking - by the way this may also be useful advice for you?
By the same token, maybe if you'd search for the info that has been discussed ad-nauseum you wouldn't be hearing any whining.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Try searching sometime, why in the hell should anyone waste their damn time trying to help out someone that doesn't seem to have either the intelligence or the gumption to help themselves?

I can't remember how many of these posts have came up, hundreds...thousands maybe. It is like a little kid asking the same damn question over and over and over and over again.

Do you get it now? DO you now know why some people might ask you to use the search function?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
less is more! i plan to spend most of my time off road, away from the super sonic road barges. 30-40 mph is the new 60-70 mph, haven't you heard?

lets not forget that killer mpg, either!

good rides.
Oh, I could not agree more. My best ride last summer was 6 hours and 180 mile of really rural, but paved roads (a bit of non-paved sprinkled in) and since I was all alone I sat in the 40-50mph zone for most of the time. Very relaxing, almost like a good back and neck massage. Then when I was rolling home and hit the main highways, I zipped along at speeds of, well, all you 650 owners know...! Exceeding posted interstate speeds is a complete non-issue. (Oh, you mean when the posted speed limit is 100, they are referring to kph, not mph? I did not know that! So sorry.)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Golly people do get hostile in here don't they. And I'm sure this thread had been seen before in many guises but this will happen again because it's a V-Strom forum. The title is clear enough to avoid if you've no interest or any comments of value to put in. But looking at the thread just to get sarcastic about it seems kinda pointless.
So please collect your teddy bears and put them back in the crib.

Looking to purchase my first strom. Was thinking of getting a new 08 650. A friend of mine is trying to turn me on to a used 05 1000 with about 4,000 miles on it for $5,000. Really like the black as the other colors dont do much for me. Will the 1000 be too much bike for me? Have previous experience riding but its been awhile. Getting back into the game and need a little direction.
If new then any litrebike will have the power to intimidate those who are still getting thier road confidence. I love my 600 sports but it took a year to really get to the 100% understanding that I'm in control of the bike, not the other way round. If on a litre sports, to start with I think I would have bought a new car ..... IMHO!!

Displacement isn't the best gauge of horsepower. A 1200cc Sportster has about the same HP as a DL650.
No but it's a good indicator of torque and how hard you have to work to get where you're going. I can chase blades and gixxer 1000's all day but if they worked as hard as me I'd not see them for a while.

Bottom line I was hoping for a solid argument to talk me into forgetting the DL1000 but not heard a solid one yet because .....

I never commute, my bike is strictly a toy and a vehicle of pleasure. Off road?? Not a chance in hell, I got an XR250 which was built for that and it's huge fun. But why a V-Strom you then ask, to feel safer, comfortable and a little bit drier/warmer when I choose to go out in winter and to have a much better profile to be seen by idiots on their mobile phones or beating their children whilst driving.

And ....... The V-Strom and the whole Adventure tourer style of bikes is just so so so cool that it's a dream come true. A big traile style bike that I can ride all day and goes like a rocket.
And I've thought it for a while and I think I want a bike that will challenge me to make me learn my craft, a 650 may be too comfortable for me personally and I'd end up ragging the nuts off it all the time. Don't think the big Vee will suffer that kind of abuse for very long:confused:

It was a curiosity question and I'll take cubes over common sense:-D

thanks guys & girls

·
Super Moderator
16,876 Posts
The most beat to death and pointless topic on this site....play nice ladies and gents.;)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I've said it before, but unlike others I've got no problem saying it again.

I came from an FZ1 to a DL1000, and although I'm definitely not the fastest rider in the group, I couldn't imagine my bike with any less HP and torque than it has now. It's just too big and heavy, which happens to be what I love about it. In fact, I thought it was a tad underpowered when I first got it, of course that was before sprocket, TFI and pipes. I know everyone who has the wee loves it, but I can't imagine dropping that much power on a bike this size. Just MHO!

41 - 60 of 1142 Posts