StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 1142 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
I actually was set out to get a 650 but the dealer had a used 1000 with only 450 miles on it and was going to have to order the 650. He offered the slightly used 1000 at the same price, and as I do long distance touring using considerable freeway segments from time to time, I reeavualted and got the 1000. As a primary commuter, I do envy the better gas milage from time to time, but overall I'm glad I got the 1000. If I win the lotto I would consider a 650 as a second bike. I love Stroms that much. Maybe a different color?

·
Registered
662 Posts
oh dear god, are we really going to do another wee vs vee thread? Use the search

·
Registered
797 Posts
Ok, ok, I'll try to be the nice, objective guy. So, firsttimer, when you do a search, you will most likely see the following opinions:

DL1000 - One hell of a machine
DL650 - One hell of a machine

The subtle differences, based solely on my reading of this and other forums, as I own neither bike:

DL1000 - More power all around, a bit heavier, a bit less nimble, better for 2-up touring and long highway miles, less off-road worthy but still capable.

DL650 - Less power but more than enough for 99% of the owners, a bit lighter, more nimble, still capable of 2-up touring and highway miles, more off-road worthy.

Keep in mind that neither Strom is an off-road bike, though many people have taken their Stroms to hell and back... AND got the T-shirts :mrgreen:

Hope this kinda helps, but yes, do a search :)

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Displacement isn't the best gauge of horsepower. A 1200cc Sportster has about the same HP as a DL650.
I realize that, but it is a good basic indicator of "size" and potential HP considering they are the same frame and same manufacturer (arguable as most statements or observations are). I know frames differ in size and weight (engine mounts, configurations for different powerplant, tranny, etc) but from my experiences in dealing with bikes, there has been a basic displacement versus bike weight and frame size correlation. Obviously, the more displacement is going to equal more weight for the engine and will have more metal needed to create the displacement. As for "power" the Japanese bikes tend to have some correlation between engine displacement and HP/torque. Comparing HD, Suzuki, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, whatever are all just "suck, squeeze, bang, blow" but have different desired results and ways to get there. I just generalized a basic correlation that I used to make up my mind for either the 650 or 1000: more displacement equals potentially more HP/Torque in similar engines from the same company on the same frame. Maybe that was a reach, but it seemed logical.

I might have written something that was taken wrong or written something mistakenly alluding to the thought that I was referring to horsepower versus physical engine size across all manufacturers. I know the Sportster has low HP and even my Shovelhead only has around 90 HP (it is 87 ci). Most is "feel." I am personally more interested in physical frame size, torque to move my fat arse, and some weight under me so I don't have the "feeling" of being too top heavy on the bike.

Does that help clarify? Sorry about the miscommunication there.....

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Over the last year I've owned a wee for 6 months and a vee for 6 months. It all comes down to personal preference. The wee is stunningly smooth and superior in MPG department. But for my personal preferences the vee is far more fun in every riding category. Does that make the vee better than the wee? For me, yep...for you???? Only you can decide what's best for your style of riding.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just came off a 225 mile run through the back roads with a bunch of liter+ bikes, and for the first time I can honestly say I could have used the Vee.
Ive had the wee for about a year now, never had any second thoughts until , I went on this highway run with the bigger bikes, at an average speed of 75mph I noticed a need for more displacement for the first time. (not to mention a bigger windshield)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The reasons I chose the Wee over the Vee.

#1. Price $2000 difference

#2 Better MPG

#3 Better for what I use it for, mainly commuting in heavy traffic, and urban off roading 1 up.

Probably has lower insurance rates too. Just guessing.

Now if I could have gotten a Vee for the same $$ like CarbideDude I would have done that too, but I have no regrets buying the Wee.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
DL1000 - ...a bit less nimble

DL650 - ... more nimble
Mr. Metal that's a good summary for someone who hasn't owned either bike. I've owned both, the one part above is a myth. Seems to be a common myth, but an experienced rider can flick either bike with ease.

·
Registered
195 Posts
which one?

It just boils down to preferences.

After 49+ years of riding all sorts of motorcycles I've reached the conclusion that for the kind of riding I enjoy the perfect motorcycle for me is a torquey 1 or 2 cylinder, narrow profile, quick and agile bike of around 400lbs. BUT, I don't ride interstates unless that's the only way to get somewhere, I don't ride 2-up since my wife has her own bike and I rarely exceed 80mph for more than the time it takes to pass another vehicle. All that being said, the SV650 (which I have also) would be the perfect bike for me if it fit my lanky frame a little better. I bought the DL650 to provide a bit more room and a little more wind protection while keeping most of the other attributes of the SV. In the process I replaced a ST1100 I'd ridden 123K miles.

For me, better means lighter, more agile, more usable torque and narrower profile. My DL1000 experience is limited to only about 60 miles and my perception is that the two are very nearly the same in most ways. The 1000 is definitely more powerful and perceptively heavier - I'm happy without either of those. The 650 delivers better fuel economy and normally comes at a substantially lower price. But as others have pointed out, you're gonna love either one. :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
It's too bad the dealers don't give more opportunities to try the different models to see what fits you the best.
I didn't have a chance to try them so I went for the 1000 and found it has more power than I will ever need. I do alot of 2up riding and don't even notice the difference with the passenger.
I'm sure the Wee would also have enough juice to keep you smiling.
My previous bike was a cruiser and the Vee is a much more fun bike to ride.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Tigger
They are both GREAT bikes
It boils down to what you can afford and pucker factor, a lot of people are intimidated by the larger more powerful bike and will go into great detail for why they chose to not buy one. Those that can buy and use the big bike love it, those that are on limited funds or are not comfortable with the extra power buy the small bike then claim it better fits what ever, touting better fuel mileage more flickable and all they need. The little bike is a GREAT bike the big bike is just a better GREAT bike. As a dirt bike both SUCK.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was seriously considering both, but I chose the 1000. I considered my history of choosing the more "practical" choice and regretting my decision. Add to that the fact that I have hot rodded EVERY motorcycle that I have ever owned in order to make it faster and the decision was easy. To be honest, the price difference of $2000 wasn't even a factor. Compared to the other bikes I was looking at, the 1000 was still a bargain. In daily riding I tend to short shift a LOT, which suits the bigger engine better than the 650. I also spend a lot of time on looooong, straaaaight, faaaast, desert highways and the 1000 doesn't have to work as hard.

I still like the Wee a bunch and wouldn't feel like I brought a knife to a gun fight taking it any where that I take my Vee.

·
Registered
195 Posts
afford?

Tigger

It boils down to what you can afford, Those that can buy and love the big bike, those that are on limited funds buy the small bike and then rag on those that buy the big bike touting better fuel mileage more flickable and all they need. The little bike is a great bike the big bike is just a better great bike.
No offense meant but this is the only thing I've seen in this thread that I disagree with. I can afford pretty much ANY motorcycle that strikes my fancy. I chose the DL650 because it suits my preferences better than any thing else out there. :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
I guess with all my wants in a motorcycle the 650 most fulfills them including cost to buy.If I wanted every want satisfied I would buy a 1000 and keep the 650.

I know,crazy thinking,
wolf1

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I have an FZ1 and a DL650, both with after market suspension. Yes, if you want to push the limits the 1000 is fun. The 650 is fun all the time, except when passed by a 1000. Get both.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Tigger

It boils down to what you can afford, Those that can buy and love the big bike, those that are on limited funds buy the small bike and then rag on those that buy the big bike touting better fuel mileage more flickable and all they need. The little bike is a great bike the big bike is just a better great bike.
This quote is a prime example of why these threads are useless.

21 - 40 of 1142 Posts