StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 1206 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to be derogatory, it's a curiosity question. I've no doubt the "Wee" Strom is a lot of fun for a little while then I can't help wondering if the "Wish I got the litrebike" question doesn't rear it's head.

The DL1000 has a top engine but a lot of weight to carry around compared to a sports bike, does the 650 not get very wheezy when you just want to have fun and hoof it up to ..... fun speeds, and want to launch out of a corner when you spy the exit.

I'm sure as a commuter for day to day use the 650 is a good choice but touring with luggage, even a pillion ......??

To repeat .... a n00b question of curiosity:rolleyes:

Grrrr:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, the question I have is why the heck would anyone need a DL1000 when the 650 can do it all? My 650 does touring, two-up and everything else.

Its all relative and your thoughts will probably be based on what bike you are riding now.

I have never had the desire to have the 1000.

And how does the saying go..."its more fun to ride a slower bike fast than a fast bike slow"?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Its all relative and your thoughts will probably be based on what bike you are riding now.

I have never had the desire to have the 1000...
Very true, I've never had the desire to get a litre sportsbike, simply because I can't use a 600 to anywhere near it's actual limit, and suspect my life expectancy would be considerably shortened with another 60+BHP on top of the 100 I already have.

I wouldn't choose to have less powerful bike than now, I think it would really annoy me if I got the 650, like a backwards step ..... in my mind:confused:

And how does the saying go..."its more fun to ride a slower bike fast than a fast bike slow"?
Couldn't agree more, spent a day on a new DL400 and that's a riot to tear around on. Have to concentrate though and do the whole Riverdance thing on the gear lever pretty much constantly ..... something I want to leave behind when I get the Thou

·
Registered
73 Posts
For me....

less is more! i plan to spend most of my time off road, away from the super sonic road barges. 30-40 mph is the new 60-70 mph, haven't you heard?

lets not forget that killer mpg, either!

good rides.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have had a 650 for a year now, and I am convinced that it is all that I will ever need. As such, it is also a couple thousand dollars cheaper on the front end, and much better mpg (50+).

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Get what you want, man. I don't hear of many people who buy either one regretting their decision. The biggest difference between them is the transmission, not the engine.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
I am not sure as to what the difference truly is, but here is my reasoning for getting the 1000:

I have had 700 and 750 cc bikes, even one 550. The 550, even though it was modified for more HP, didn't have the kick I wanted. Since there is only 100 cc difference between that and the DL650, I had concerns.

The other big concern I had was that the 550, 750, and 700 were way too light under my a$$. It was like riding a BMX bike at really high speeds. I wanted the extra weight under me, although 458 lbs for the 1000 is only 31 lbs heavier than the 650 it is still 31 lbs of vehicle weight. I am not sure how much the Givi bags and trunk weigh, but that adds some there as well. Considering that it is still lighter than the 624 lbs that my other bike hefts around I wanted as similar as possible since I had concerns from other bikes I have owned.

At any rate, I am sure that there might not be any real difference for the average person and that they don't (probably) think in the same fashion as I do, but I am 6'4" tall and weigh 280 lbs. I am not able to ride some bikes just due to my physical size and vehicle needs. Even when I had the smaller bikes I was at 200 - 220 lbs. That might make a difference, maybe not. At any rate, personal preference for me was that bigger engine with more weight.

·
Webfoot
851 Posts
The DL1000 has a top engine but a lot of weight to carry around compared to a sports bike, does the 650 not get very wheezy when you just want to have fun and hoof it up to ..... fun speeds, and want to launch out of a corner when you spy the exit.
The only time I've wanted more out of the 650 was for long days on the freeway. For that I will have an FJR someday. For now, just remember this. When you "spy the exit" and have the engine sitting around 6000 rpm, just before the meat of the powerband, and you crack it open.......guaranteed to put a big sh*tty grin on your face.

·
Registered
22,279 Posts
Not to be derogatory, it's a curiosity question. I've no doubt the "Wee" Strom is a lot of fun for a little while then I can't help wondering if the "Wish I got the litrebike" question doesn't rear it's head.

I'm sure as a commuter for day to day use the 650 is a good choice but touring with luggage, even a pillion ......??

I put 135k on the do it all SV650, and had enuf long distance touring with only 650cc

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3 Posts
650 - 1000 ???

Looking to purchase my first strom. Was thinking of getting a new 08 650. A friend of mine is trying to turn me on to a used 05 1000 with about 4,000 miles on it for $5,000. Really like the black as the other colors dont do much for me. Will the 1000 be too much bike for me? Have previous experience riding but its been awhile. Getting back into the game and need a little direction.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts

The DL1000 has a top engine but a lot of weight to carry around compared to a sports bike, does the 650 not get very wheezy when you just want to have fun and hoof it up to ..... fun speeds, and want to launch out of a corner when you spy the exit.//
Why only a liter bike? Why not one of the 1800's around?

I rode the DL1000 first and didn't like it. I was convinced on Advrider to try the DL650. With the lighter weight and narrower bars, it felt a lot better to me, so that's what I bought.

The real question is when Suzuki will introduce a DL1000X ABS!

·
Registered
194 Posts
had a big liter+ bike. my 650 does it for me now. its perfect for commuting and floats my boat in the twisties. i bumped up to a 16 for the slab which puts the wee engine where it wants to be.

take care and ride well.

al:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I have had 700 and 750 cc bikes, even one 550. The 550, even though it was modified for more HP, didn't have the kick I wanted.
Displacement isn't the best gauge of horsepower. A 1200cc Sportster has about the same HP as a DL650.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts

Dear god in heaven, not again!!! ;)
Either is fine for 2-up touring and the freeway. The 650 is lighter, more nimble and has a more balanced feel (to me anyway). The 1000 has more power. It's just a personal preference issue, which do you value more?

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Flip a coin...

Two of my last bikes were 1000cc's. Had a '79 Goldwing I drove about a zillion kilometers, and a Concours that I put 18k on last season. I like the power. Hlwever, the 650 really does have plenty of power considering the design of the engine and weight of the machine. People who have them swear by them.

You can't go wrong with either 'strom. They ROCK!!!

For me, it was a personal choice. I like -lots of power- and the 1000 delivers, plain and simple. If I was to get a second bike for around town, I might consider a 650, but unless I win a lottery, the 1k will do nicely.

Now if they'd only get rid of those pesky speed limits on the roads, it'd be perfect...:D

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Just get one...

Looking to purchase my first strom. Was thinking of getting a new 08 650. A friend of mine is trying to turn me on to a used 05 1000 with about 4,000 miles on it for $5,000. Really like the black as the other colors dont do much for me. Will the 1000 be too much bike for me? Have previous experience riding but its been awhile. Getting back into the game and need a little direction.
Both bikes are torque monsters. If you're new to riding, you might be better off with the 650. The 1k is one -powerful- beast. I wouldn't recommend one for a new rider. You can get into trouble if you don't have much experience riding a rocket ship.

The price on the 1K sounds pretty good though. Either bike will have WAY enough power for you...

:rolleyes:

Reactions: Thighrod

·
Registered
194 Posts
welcome firsttimer. give us a little info. how long has it been since you have ridden? also, what type of riding? commuting, touring, gravel roads? one up...two up? you came to the right place. there's a ton of info here and a lot of experienced riders.

good luck:)

al

05 wee

1 - 20 of 1206 Posts