StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new bike and have recently sat on a DL1000 at a local dealer and was just happy with the ergos (I have a 36 inch inseam).

I've seen the raw specs on the Suzuki site and noticed only a tiny variation in seat height and no difference in ground clearance between the DLs.

Can anyone who has sat on or ridden both give me some impressions on leg room and overall comfort?

Thanks...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
too tall ?

I've sat on both but ridden neither. I'm a lot shorter than you. What you describe as a very small difference made a BIG difference to me.

I know a guy who is 6' 6" and he rides a 1000.
He says he fits well and came off a KLR

Bobb

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DL1000 vs DL650 seat heights

I looked at both models at a dealer last weekend. Since I'm 6'6", this is an important issue to me, too.

I thought the seat on the 650 was noticeably lower than on the 1000. I also noticed that the seat and plastic surround looked like they could be swapped between the two models. IOW, you could probably put the taller seat from the 1000 on the 650.

It occurs to me that I never checked whether the dealer's 1000 was a '03 or '04 model. Suzuki might have changed the DL1000 seat for this year, since it's been a source of some complaints. The DL650 seat gets better marks for comfort, from what I've read.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually 04 1000 and 05 650 has the same hegiht as chassis. But the seat is different. DL 650 heighs 20 mm less than DL 1000 and its edges smoother. You see height is not only indicator, seats largenss (I could not find a better word for that) is also another important factor for a relativelt shorter person.

I am 183 centimeters and my DL 650 suits me. Actually I would prefer a few milimeters more.

I think a person with a 168-170 centimeters height would easly sit on it by touching the ground...

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My local dealer has both bikes in his showroom. I've sat on both, ridden neither. My impression is that at a long-legged 5'10', I can touch down flat-footed on both bikes, but the 650 seems a bit lighter, and perhaps a bit shorter. I'm struggling with the decision on which direction to go. Right now I'm actually leaning towards the 650 because what I've read indicates it's a smoother engine below about 70 MPH. As far as handling, reports have it that there's very little difference. (I'll let you know in about 2 or 3 months! :D )

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
650 vs 1000

My husband rides the DL1000. I ride the DL 650. He has ridden both bikes. He finds the 650 to be shorter, slower, lighter; but has a better seat than the 1000. Overall he rates the 650 good. He likes the 1000 because he has longer legs. He likes the power of the 1000 better. For longer distances, the 1000 works better for him. Easier to run freeway speeds with the 1000. He is 6' with a 36 inch inseam. He did just put a Corbin seat on his DL and finds it way more comfortable than the original seat.
I rode both also and found the 1000 to shift totally differently. It was clankier. Mine shifts smoother to me. It is swifter than mine, but for me it is great.
I may be late with this. Hope it helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts