StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought home my new '06 DL 650 yesterday. Can't wait for warmer weather to really give it a go.

My first instinct is to remove the v-strom decal from the tank. Be nice now, we all have our likes and dislikes. I guess, simple is better for my taste. Seems like I have seen one other post on this. Just wondering if anybody has done this on their STROM? If so, what is a good method which preserves the paint.

I saw someone who had done this on BMW Dakar, and it really made the bike look sharp. Of course, the decal on the 2004 Dakar was hideous IMHO.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
A hair dryer or heat gun and a plastic putty knife is one way. It got too hot for my fingernails.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sticker Removal

I'll second the hairdryer to soften the adhesive. A plastic scraper (old credit card works great) will help remove the decals. Work slowly to avoid leaving too much behind. A little solvent will get ride of the remaining residue. My bike is fully de-stickered, and I like the stealth look:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I used a heat gun and Goo Gon. Worked pretty good. One tip if anybody else is planning to do this. Temperature is key. To hot and the sticker breaks or seperates from the adhesive and you have alot of work to clean up. With the right temperature the sticker comes off pretty much in one piece. So, the first side took an hour, the second side took about 10 minutes.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
And don't pull off the clear top first. Keep it connected and the whole sticker may come off in one piece.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts