StromTrooper banner

650 v 1000

15K views 58 replies 23 participants last post by  Webfors 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

sorry for yet another thread for a 650 vs 1000 thread. I sadly have some issues with relating current threads with my situation.

I am riding a sv650x right now. So fairly similar to the v-strom 650 engine. I am doing some very rare 2-UP rides with my girlfriend and I think that the power is about just fine. It's not super fast but dftly. fast enough. We ride 2-UP very rarerly tho because of the sv650x's nature. I'm planning to switch over to a more travel oriented bike for 2-UP travelling with my girl. And, I don't want to waste any more money by buying a bike just to realize that I need something else just a year later (the sv650x is bought brand new in 2018).

Me and my girl weight around 190KG (380lb, i think?!) so we not very light. This concern paired with the fact that my sv650x is not really too slow for us BUT my fear of regret confuses me ALOT.

From a personal perspective I like the 650 XT from 2017+ the most. The look is just way better then the older v-stroms and especially the XT-variant makes it really cool looking imho. The 2017+ V-strom 1000 is very close to that but the details over all are cooler on the 650 XT.

Whatever, I am comfortable in a price range of about 7000 - 8000€. For that amount of money I have diffirent options.
Get a used V-Strom 650 (2012+) and save the rest of the money,
get a almost new/new V-Strom 650 XT (2017+),
get a used V-Strom 1000 (2014+) without curved ABS, not so nice look and with the known windshield issues or
get a V-strom 1000 XT (2017+) for about 2000€ over my comfortable price (more saving!) but with my pref. look, with corner ABS, good windshield solution.

The major question: 650 vs. 1000.
Better said a almost new 650 XT from 2017 or above vs. a used 1000 which i don't really like? Those Options are the most realistic right now.

Will I regret buying the v-strom 650 because I always want that little bit of more power? That 1sec of difference in going from 0 - 100 km/h (60mph)? The overall comfort of now switching gears as often as with a 650?
Or will I regret the 20kg(40lb) extra weight IF i bring it to the dirt one day or in the twisties?

The 2k€ more spent is forgotten fairly fast, all other "regrets" are always existent. I want to settle down with the bike and get it all equiped with accessiores, luggage, mods etc and don't want to feel the need of a new bike after just 12 months of riding it.

Therefore, 650 vs. 1000? And if 1000: is the 2017+ mode worth the 2k€ more? Just for the looks I would probably not want to spend 2 more grands, but with the corner ABS and other smaller advanteages?

See less See more
#38 ·
Webfors, I've found that as I got older, my insurance dropped, no real news there.
I just got the bill for my insurance renewal for my '14 DL1K, '00 ZRX1100, and '81 CB750K. Full coverage on the DL,
liability only for the other 2. $400 for all. One of the few benefits of getting older, lol.

No matter 650 or 1000, both are excellent machines at a great price. Any owner can justify one choice over the other. But to me, it isnt a matter of one merely being a larger version of the other. Ive ridden both, and I really liked the 650. But 1000 just suited my preferences more than the 650. Others may have an entirely different experience, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
I keep my motorcycles long-term. Bought new, Ive had the ZRX 19 years, the 750 38 years. I still enjoy both along with my Vstrom, which I may be riding into the sunset. At the time I compared the ZRX vs the Bandit1200, and the CB750 vs the KZ750 and GS750. I rode them all. I picked what I have based on my own personal needs, wants, and preferences. No wrong or right. Just what worked for me. Just like how I picked the 1000 over the 650, the Super Tenere, the Africa Twin, the Versys 1000, and the FJR1300.

#43 ·
Tenny, like everything else, it all depends on your wants, needs, and preferences.
I happen to like the integration of the factory plastic bags. 1 key operates the seat, gas cap, ignition, and 3-piece luggage set. For my rides, even interstate, the oem bags have plenty of room what what I need. In addition to them, I keep a Suzuki England DL650 rear bag on the rack, and a matching Suzuki large tank bag in front of me, both made by Bags Connection. If I need more room depending on the length of stay, I'll use my oem Suzi accessory top case instead of the rear bag. 4 days on a Deals Gap trip, In had room to spare. The slim rear bags facilitate parking in my garage. I have no need nor want of the "Paris-Dakar"-size aluminum luggage look or use...but others do.
I use Premium fuel as recommended by Suzuki. I was told by factory Suzuki Service Rep that regular can be used without a problem.naturally I dont want to spend $$ I dont need to, but the difference in gas price ain't gonna prevent me from riding or cut into any other activity or purchase.

#45 ·
Tenny, like everything else, it all depends on your wants, needs, and preferences.
This is the bottom line.. Where do you ride? Who do you ride with (other bikes)? What will fit the bill and bring smiles? I have both a 2014 DL1000 and a 2013 DL650. I love them both but they both have their place, but when I take my wife the 1000 is definitely the choice. Alone I generally prefer the 650, particularly when in Baja or just exploring back roads. I have taken my wife 2 up on my 650 in Baja and at lower altitudes definitely felt stronger, but normally I ride 5000ft + elevations and with 2 up find myself dropping a gear on big grades. The 650 isn't as freeway friendly with the higher revs and the fuel economy suffers. If you ride state roads more often then that may not be an issue. This being said If I was running cross country solo and needed to do it timely I would be on my 1000. They both handle and drive great but the 1000 is nicer on the long slabs, and the suspension is definitely better with more weight. If I rode with other bikes often I would take into consideration what size bikes they were riding as well. If you were on a 650 and your friends were on 1000's + you may feel like you're always maxed out trying to keep up.

Good luck, I agree the new XTs are good looking bikes but personally can't justify spending more money for the same basic bike. If you get an opportunity I suggest test riding both and get a feel..

Reactions: MAZ4ME
#46 ·
Hey guys, i appreciate this discussion, sorry I didn't reply to any of the topics.

The tables have turned a little bit. I just got selected by a big german motorcycle magazine, they offered me to test the new Pirelli Angel GT2 on my sv650x. I accepted and got them on last weekend, meaning I have to ride them down now to be able to give a feedback in octobre. The bike change will occur after that anyways.

I somehow am stuck to the DLs because of various reasons.
First I love the sv650's engine and just hope that the dl650 is comparable (i know, a bit less hp but more torque). I will dftly. testride them. The second thing is that I just really like nimble and not so tall bikes. I don't feel comfortable on one of the very tall bikes. The V-Strom650 AND 1000 felt 1000% better then the usual suspects (Africa Twin, KTM1190+, KTM1090+ (esp. the "R" variant), BMW F700 to 1200 GS (all of them are monsters between my legs except the older F80GS).
And third is price, all other options are just crazy expensive why it is possible to get an used V-strom 1000 from 2014 for 7k€ (BMW starts at 8k€, the KTM and AT at 9k€). The V-Strom 650 XT from 2017 is also ~7k€ (that is why it is so hard, amazing looking and brand new 650XT vs. not so pleasant look and used 1000). Additionally I kinda feel the need to go back to offroading in the last couple of weeks (its only legal on dedicated areas here in germany sadly, but I can register at a club and just practice a bit nearby). With a brandnew DL650xt i will probably not do that, with a used DL650 from 2012+ I don't so much if it gets hurt a little bit. Also the 2012 model is okayish looking (not the XT one, the beak with the side to side lamps is just...not my thing, no offense) and very cheap (4k€).

Said that, the BIG adventure bikes are too much for me and too expensive (meaning tiger 1200, Yamaha SuperTen, BMW F1150GS - F1250GS, KTM1290 etc.pp. are out).
I testrode an AT 2 weeks ago and i hated it. :X
It is probably the best offroading option (next to an KTM1090A R maybe) for me but I just didn't like it at all. The gears are weird, the power is not really noticable compared to my sv650x and there are simply too many settings. When the seller started to explain to me the 3 driving modes, 7 tractioncontrol settings and how to turn ABS off i already was like "i dont need this".

The V-stroms are just...SIMPLE. And i like that.
It seems like it gonna be a tough year for me, deciding what i want :)

#48 ·
I accepted and got them on last weekend, meaning I have to ride them down now to be able to give a feedback in octobre. The bike change will occur after that anyways
that probably works to your advantage anyway as it's easier to get a better deal at the end of the riding season than the start. though that may work against you on a trade in.....

you'll have to take my opinion on which size with a grain of salt because I've only ridden the 650 once (loved it) and haven't ridden the newer 1000 yet (its ordered). what made the choice for me was coming to this forum. the very first thread I saw was one talking about upgrading the front sprocket to make the 650 less buzzy on the highway. my plan is to do some longer trips which means more time on the highway. basically, I'd rather be looking at the extra power than looking for it.

that said, with only one season under your belt, only you can answer if you're ready for a 1000, even if it's not a super sport. I was lucky growing up, ( though it didnt feel like it at the time ) my English father insisted I started small and worked my way up. 125, 250, 400 then I was finally allowed to move up to the bikes all my friends were riding.

enjoy this season and make sure to take out both for a test ride, there's no advantage to rushing a decision like this.

#47 ·
This definitely is classified as a first world problem!! Enjoy the dilemma! lol
Ride safe.
gary

Reactions: Skyy223
#49 ·
Hey guys, I just returned from an around 6k KM / around 3,8k miles trip throu england, wales and scotland with my sv650x.

I had a blast there even tho I had some very hard times in the beginning. I suffered from tendonitis in both arms after the first week.
After taking a rest for a few days and cutting down my daily mileage to around 150miles it got better and better. With the time the problems changed but never disappeared. Arms where no problem anymore but my neck and shoulder started to iche. That's what you expect from touring a bike with clip-ons :)

Anyways I had a blast riding my sv650x. I actually never felt like the engine was too weak (me + luggage) even tho they have a lot of 25/30% inclines there. Simply stick it to second gear and off I go.
The 300km/200 miles i can make it out of 14L of Gas is :|:|:|:|ing impressive. And cheap.

Whatsoever, I will need an ADV-Bike for upcoming season. I start to look around more serious and testsittet and rode a few bikes already. I had a KTM 1050 Adventure and on wednesday I gonna ride a V-Strom 1000 (2019 model) while my sv650x gets its yearly inspection. The thing about the 1000 is still: I think 650 is enough, I never felt like its too slow. But I also felt like I use it to its limit more and more often, making the wish to step up a little bit foreseeable. That might result in yet another trade in if I buy a v-strom 650 now. That's why I just have to testride 1000s aswell.

My current favourites are KTM 1050 Adventure, V-Strom 1000 (XT <3) if it's a litre bike or the V-Strom 650/Versys 650 if I come to the conclusion that I have no desires for a litre bike right now.
I also consider a F700 GS or F800 GS just because of the pricetag. More power then on a 2012+ V-Strom 650 for the same price.

#51 ·
And another question: Does anyone have a 2017+ V-Strom with panniers? You can see on pictures that the panniers are quiete high (which is nice because then the bike is not as whide) but doesn't the pannier cut into the passengers legs then?

Can anyone copy? :D

#52 ·
I went back and forth re 650 or 1000, and with a lot of being on interstate and turnpike experience decided the extra power at ultimately lower rpms would be a better ride.

The 1000 is very "torquey" even at 70mph and has immediate power when needed at higher speeds to adjust in traffic and cruise comfortably.

Yet still nimble enough at slower speeds on roads with (gag me) too many stop lights!

I have been extremely happy with the 1000XT. Ultimately the cost was only a couple grand more, less even, as I was able to get a new 2018.

Hope that helps!!

Mako

#53 ·
I am 99% certain that it will be a v-strom 1000. I really fell in love with the look of the XT-Versions because of the wheels. Sadly those are more expensive (not really but generally newer -> less cheap used ones).
For used XT-Versions (i love the 2019 black/gold one but thats too new and too expensive, the yellow ones are candy aswell) i pay about 2k more then for used 2014 models.
Testride tomorrow will show.

#54 ·
For the 2018 model year 650 and 1000, do you guys notice any more heat on the rider on the 1000 compared to the 650?

I live in the south and that really matters to me... so the cooler bike would be better, but it's not a deal breaker if the difference is minor. I ask because I test rode the Triumph tigers and they about cooked me, so no thanks on those...

#55 ·
The 2018 isn’t any different than the V2 in that regard, and living in Houston, I can attest that you will not cook. Local runs to the store and anything under 40mph during the summer months gets shorts, light shirt and helmet. No way I’m wearing long pants or sleeves while sitting at a daisy chain of stop lights. I can feel the heat on my legs while sitting at a light but it’s not what I consider bad or painful. Can’t relate to the current generation 650, but I can say that coming from a ctx1300 V4 with the cylinder heads at each knee, the V2/v3 is not near as hot.

#58 · (Edited)
Yep, that's what turned me off from upgrading to the tiger. I really liked the bike otherwise, but for the heat in which I ride, that bike would have been torture. My '12 DL650 will throw some heat out on the lower leg, but it's definitely tolerable, and with riding boots you almost don't notice. That's why I wonder how the DL1000 is. Hopefully nowhere near as bad as the tiger, at least based on what Houstrom46* posted it seems not to be that bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.