StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,886 Posts
I just came back from a short ride with my girl. My sv650x pulls us like a big one. This and the fact that I can buy a brandnew 650XT for the price of a used 1000 from 2014 makes me think again. :D
You will BOTH be so much more comfortable on either Strom. :fineprint:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You will BOTH be so much more comfortable on either Strom. :fineprint:
I know. :D
I am only considering ADV-Bikes with atleast 19" front wheel from 650-~1050ccm. So far, I managed to get out a few bikes.
In the end i stranded with the Africa Twin, KTM 1050 Adventure, Triumph Tiger 800/1050 Sport and the 2 V-Stroms.

I testride the africa twin on the 6th april. The KTM was not really what I like, too pushy/angry and not comfortable engine on a long run.
The V-Stroms, I couldn't ride yet. The 1000 I maybe am able to ride in May, the 650 I will testride when im bringing my sv650x to the inspection. Here is where the problem lays. In June (after my upcoming 5000km England trip in may) I need to bring my sv650x to the inspection (12 months) to the dealership (to keep the warranty). The dealer already told me, they can buy my sv650x in order to sell me the v-strom 650 XT or 1000 XT without doing the inspection first (saves me ~400€). I dftly don't have enough money for the 1000 then, therefore I either buy the 650 in june or pay for the inspection, keep the bike a little longer and sell it in december/january to buy a 1000 early next year.

·
Super Moderator
13,060 Posts
... I dftly don't have enough money for the 1000 then, therefore I either buy the 650 in june or pay for the inspection, keep the bike a little longer and sell it in december/january to buy a 1000 early next year.
As an current owner of a 2015 DL1000 that I love riding and that has over 161,000 km on it I think it's hard for you to go wrong with the **DL650** right now. I am sure you would also love riding the DL1000 later. I guess it jsut depends on whether you can enjoy your current ride enough now to keep riding it.

But no one else is sitting in your seat...

..Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
From a different perspective: Is a litre bike (aka the V-Strom 1000) overkill for someone who made his license in 2017 and rode ~10.000km since then?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
That, my friend, depends on your level of self-control. You could ride a Hayabusa without incident if you dont ride it beyond your abilities. Trust me--the DL1000 is no GSXR1000. In common motorcycle-speak, the DL1000 is no "Literbike".

·
Registered
567 Posts
Test ride them both. My bet is you'll buy the 1000.
In 2017 I brought my '12 650 in to my local dealer for some work. They offered me a 1000 to ride for the few hours they'd be working on my bike. Two weeks later, I traded in the 650 on a brand new 2014 1000. Purchase price was $8000, with $5000 off that for my 650 (31,000 miles ). Net price $3000 for a brand new liter VStrom with 0 miles on it. No doubt, the 650 is a GREAT BIKE. Loved mine, but, for me, the liter bike topped even that! Good luck with your decision. Let us know! :)
Ride safe all.
gary

·
Registered
279 Posts
Truthfully, the engine of either bike will prolly out-accelerate most cars and keep up with traffic at 75+ MPH, even two up. The biggest limitation of the 650 is that they are notoriously under-sprung, even for one rider over 170#. I can't speak to the 1000 since I haven't owned one. If you do pull the trigger on a 650--and it has it's own merits over the liter bike--the first thing you will need to do is upgrade the suspension with respect to springs and forks/shock. RaceTech is a good place to start.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Yearly insurance cost is really the only financial consideration, once the sunk cost of buying the bike is over with. Gas mileage difference is inconsequential. I pay $420 / year full coverage on the DL650. I got a quote for the DL1000 when I was shopping and they wanted almost $900. Displacement is the name of the insurance game.

That 400+ in savings per year buys a lot of gear, tires, lube and coffee. Fast forward 10 years and that's over $4000.

I haven't driven the new DL1000. I did test drive a 2014 and I found it a little rough around the edges, and a lot of engine vibration. When I got on the 2015 DL650 immediately after (I drove them back to back) it almost seamed boring... too smooth, so I bought the 650 on the spot :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
I just came back from a short ride with my girl. My sv650x pulls us like a big one. This and the fact that I can buy a brandnew 650XT for the price of a used 1000 from 2014 makes me think again. :D
FWIW, I rode an SV650 before the DL650. Hands down the DL650 handles better, I can throw it into a corner harder and with more confidence... a really well balanced bike. I was, and still am, quite surprised at how it handles.

For two up, the DL650 is a big upgrade over the SV650.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
I'm going to triple post... hopefully that's not against the rules :grin2:

Another consideration is warranty. Suzuki is giving away a 5 year warranty right now on '17. I got my DL650 for $7k plus tax with a 5 year warranty and a lifetime 10% discount at the dealer. Hard to pass up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The 650 is so good and well farkled I can't part with it !! I'm around 225 lbs and the suspension seems fine to me even with lots of luggage on board,
I think I'd love to get a new 1000 and I suppose we only live once,just can't decide!!

·
Registered
567 Posts
The 650 is so good and well farkled I can't part with it !! I'm around 225 lbs and the suspension seems fine to me even with lots of luggage on board,
I think I'd love to get a new 1000 and I suppose we only live once,just can't decide!!
Sounds, to me, like you HAVE decided!! I agree, we only live once. To that I'll add another cliche` - This ain't a dress rehearsal! Whatever you ride.....
....Ride safe.
Gary

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Another consideration is gas. Doesn't the DL1000 require 91 octane?

If so add 20 cents a litre (depending on station/location) and you're paying $4 per fill up more.

Average a fill up per week, that's $16 / month for 6 months out of the year, so another $96/year. That's almost a front E804 Shinko tire!

I guess if you really start nickel and dime'ing the cost differences, over ten years, with insurance, gas and the initial higher cost, you might be closer to 6 thousand. That buys a lot of quality gear!

However, it might be worth the difference if you test drive it and the torque addict in you comes out to play. Torque is addictive. I'll never have a car that doesn't have a turbo engine.

I can't imagine you would be unhappy wither either bike. I ride with my neighbours all the time. One has a 1800cc Goldwing, the other an RT1200. Don't recall ever feeling I needed more power when riding with them.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The sticker on my '14 DL1000 reads "Use Premium unleaded gasoline with minimum pump 90 octane"
I generally get 45-mpg, and if I can't afford to use what's recommended, I shouldnt even be riding a motorcycle.
$.20-$.30 ain't gonna stop me from having fun.
The extra cost in insurance for me is more than made up for by the immediate torque, comfort, and better braking and suspension. I happen to like the on-the-fly windshield rake adjustment and the height adjustment via allen wrench that the 1000 has.
I replaced tires with the oem-spec Bridgestone BattleWings, and couldnt be happier with their steering, handling, and stability characteristics. 7K miles on the originals, and I probably had 2 more to go. I might have gone with Michelin Pilot Roads, but I knew what I had with the BattleWings. Shinkos might be less expensive, but cheaper doesnt neccesarily mean better for my purposes. Not any more than more expensive means better.
Turbo cars...I'm on my 2nd. The 1st was a '79 Mustang TRX hatch with the 2.3L-4 carbureted turbo. Which I replaced once. I swore I'd never have another turbo-car. So now...I have a '19 Mazda CX-5 Signature. 2.5L turbo-4. 310 lb-ft torque at 2K rpm. Effortlessly quick. Like my Vstrom1000.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,152 Posts
The extra cost in insurance for me is more than made up for by the immediate torque, comfort, and better braking and suspension.
Don't be so sure the 1000 insurance is more expensive. Unless the insurance companies put the latest generation DL 650 back into the category it was before, insurance for the DL 650 will cost more! Insurance for my 2012 DL 650 with the same coverage is more expensive than the insurance on my 2014 R 1200 RT BMW. More than the '14 Super Tenere. Burns my ass to think about that, but I found every insurance company was the same. I had a 2004 DL 650 at the same time when the 2012 was bought. Same coverage, the 2012 was well over twice as much money to insure! My 2003 DL 1000 was about the same as the '04 650, don't know what the newer DL 1000 would cost.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Don't be so sure the 1000 insurance is more expensive. Unless the insurance companies put the latest generation DL 650 back into the category it was before, insurance for the DL 650 will cost more! Insurance for my 2012 DL 650 with the same coverage is more expensive than the insurance on my 2014 R 1200 RT BMW. More than the '14 Super Tenere. Burns my ass to think about that, but I found every insurance company was the same. I had a 2004 DL 650 at the same time when the 2012 was bought. Same coverage, the 2012 was well over twice as much money to insure! My 2003 DL 1000 was about the same as the '04 650, don't know what the newer DL 1000 would cost.
Crazy! The bike has barely changed a lick!

Always makes sense to check insurance rates before buying. This is a perfect example. I would have never thought the DL650 rates would change so drastically.

I just got the renewal for '15 DL650, $398 (Canadian Dollars) for the year, full coverage :grin2:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Webfors, I've found that as I got older, my insurance dropped, no real news there.
I just got the bill for my insurance renewal for my '14 DL1K, '00 ZRX1100, and '81 CB750K. Full coverage on the DL,
liability only for the other 2. $400 for all. One of the few benefits of getting older, lol.

No matter 650 or 1000, both are excellent machines at a great price. Any owner can justify one choice over the other. But to me, it isnt a matter of one merely being a larger version of the other. Ive ridden both, and I really liked the 650. But 1000 just suited my preferences more than the 650. Others may have an entirely different experience, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
I keep my motorcycles long-term. Bought new, Ive had the ZRX 19 years, the 750 38 years. I still enjoy both along with my Vstrom, which I may be riding into the sunset. At the time I compared the ZRX vs the Bandit1200, and the CB750 vs the KZ750 and GS750. I rode them all. I picked what I have based on my own personal needs, wants, and preferences. No wrong or right. Just what worked for me. Just like how I picked the 1000 over the 650, the Super Tenere, the Africa Twin, the Versys 1000, and the FJR1300.

·
Super Moderator
13,060 Posts

I just got the renewal for '15 DL650, $398 (Canadian Dollars) for the year, full coverage :grin2:
Who are you insured with?

..Tom

21 - 40 of 59 Posts