StromTrooper banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Might see you at Rainbow Beach on the 23/24th July, maybe?
Sorry mate I'll be up in Port Douglas on the way back from Bali that weekend.
I'm planning on riding down to see Michael in Canberra and Jaime in his new home later in the year (and scrounge some kudu biltong from Moira), so hope to catch up then.

Have fun up at Rainbow! :thumbup:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Really nice Pete, now for some functional test shots....
The toss up, DR & KLR, have you thought going even older school? tenere's, XT's etc.

Don, look forward in hearing from you.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Goodonya!!
Ring, ring....for a cot in Melbourne's East, or anything else down here.

The toss up, DR & KLR, have you thought going even older school? tenere's, XT's etc.
There's still the paperwar to come before some "action"-shots...
Mate....used to have an XT6 some years back, good piece of kit. Tenere's too heavy.
It's just that both of them are getting pretty long in the tooth and whilst I enjoy the wrenching in the garage, I'm not fond of it at all in the middle of nowhere.
Wanna have something fairly fresh, simple, reliable, easy to get plenty of parts/ bits for etc.

It's not thought as a 2.bike alongside the Strom.... but I rather plan to "go across" wholesale at some stage in the future.
Until then, I'll get one or the other and extend my "knowledge base" (and tool set) to cover those bikes. A trimmed down KLR is a real possibility, as it suits my ergo's better than the DR, which is a bit cramped.
Had a look at an XT660R yesterday....there's another maybe, still need a quick ride on one, though.
Saw 10kg coming out of that, just looking at the tail and the stupid twin cans.:thumbup:

We'll see.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I had been following this project awhile back and just finished it--what a beautiful finished product, and the performance is much improved over the stocker I'm sure!
On your next project I say it is a tossup between the KLR650 and the Honda XR650. The KLR might be the more interesting because it is so often maligned by enthusiasts, it is kinda ugly, and they are about as indestructable as an anvil. (And as sophisticated too) But I know there are a bunch of low mileage cheap ones around, and it would be a worthy project--I'd love to see your talents turned to this bike.
Congrats on the Mongrel!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm planning on riding down to see Michael in Canberra and Jaime in his new home later in the year (and scrounge some kudu biltong from Moira), so hope to catch up then.

Have fun up at Rainbow! :thumbup:
G'day Don
Give us a heads up if you come down Jamie's way and will catch up for a cuppa,brew,barbed wire fence or sumthin :green_lol:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #128 (Edited)
On your next project I say it is a tossup between the KLR650 and the Honda XR650. The KLR might be the more interesting because it is so often maligned by enthusiasts, it is kinda ugly,
Yo :mrgreen:...nothing's changed then:yesnod:
Exactly the way I see it, too.

...and they are about as indestructable as an anvil. (And as sophisticated too)
!
Which is the key-attraction to me. Less is more :thumbup:
Bought a low-mileage '09 KLR in Oregon last year and did about 4000mi in 3 weeks on it, my first ride ever on one of these (new model).

What started off as a "that'll do the job, I'll sell it afterwards anyway" turned into some healthy respect particularly around the backblocks and forestry roads of the coastal range from NorCal to Portland and the Willamette/ Crater Lake/ Oregon Dunes etc...
So much so, I hung onto the bike for another trip this year, simply because it was so much fun and easy to live with.

It's a prime example of being that much more than the sum of it's parts....without the fluff and hype.

Just can't get over the prices at your side of the pond...US$5200 for a brandnew '11 model ride-away (incl. DMV, all onroad costs) is an absolute dream.
And then there are various '09 and '10 models floating around at the dealers, at ridiculous prices.

Congrats on the Mongrel!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Great work glitch. Love the look of the bike, love the pictures and write up. Hats off to you.:thumbup::thumbup:

wizzer

·
Registered
435 Posts
IMPRESSIVE! That's what they should look like from the factory. Makes me wanna quit waiting on a '12 and buy an older one and start cutting it up. :thumbup:

·
Registered
62 Posts
glitch,

i live my dream of building my custom bike through your work. You should run a WTF workshop - i am sure there's a few interested fan!:thumbup:

AR
Yeah you sure should do a workshop.
Not far from here (Japan) and I would love to go (but in reality could not).
Reading this thread is fascinating and reminds me of when I was at a tech' college in 1989 doing engineering (that included fabrication).
Sadly I did not follow that path and now I would not know where to begin but I am enjoying the thread very much.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
FrankenStrom:
So I find a 08 V-Strom insurance write off for cheap. Then I find the ThinStrom Movement. Being as I am a very long time rider, hotrodder, modifier I am inspired to make the Wee into a do all bike. For Cheap. Off comes most of the plastic, on goes a single LED headlight and LED turn signals. New sprockets and chain, new fork seals, new rubber, bar end mirrors, re-located stock instruments. Then a second hand aftermarket exhaust system to remove more weight....
What a difference...... much lighter and greater road feel, no helmet buffeting from the weird airflow.....
El Cheapo FrankenStrom

Attachments

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #138 (Edited)
FrankenStrom:
So I find a 08 V-Strom insurance write off for cheap. Then I find the ThinStrom Movement. Being as I am a very long time rider, hotrodder, modifier I am inspired to make the Wee into a do all bike. For Cheap. Off comes most of the plastic, on goes a single LED headlight and LED turn signals. New sprockets and chain, new fork seals, new rubber, bar end mirrors, re-located stock instruments. Then a second hand aftermarket exhaust system to remove more weight....
What a difference...... much lighter and greater road feel, no helmet buffeting from the weird airflow.....
El Cheapo FrankenStrom
Good to see another naked Strom.
Got some neat tank-pods there !!:smile2:
The rest looks like many others before it, though. (and pretty much unchanged from stock).:confused:

Strange to see the thread pop up again after years in the "Underworld"....and while there's a long and weird story to it, the bike is back in its "birthplace" and getting used for what it was intended ....cruising the gravel and backroads of the Aussie ADV-country. It's actually for sale.....again!!

121 - 138 of 138 Posts