StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I just picked up a 06 Wee. Being a big boy 275lbs I was going to respring the stock shock, took it to several suspension shops here in the San Diego area and no one can or will rebuild it. No port to recharge the Nitrogen. I have done all the searches and see where Sasquatch was rebuilding them a few years ago. Does any one know how he was getting the new gas in the shock? Or better yet is anyone rebuilding them these days?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
How many miles on the bike? Does he shock need a rebuild of the hydraulics or just a new spring?

I think RaceTech and Cogent Dynamics do rebuilds as well as spring changes, along with a few other shops. Sasquatch is making license plates.

Aftermarket shocks that do a great job include Elka (svracingparts.com), Ohlins, Hyperpro, Ricor. These will damp better than a rebuilt stock shock.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a 06 with 50k miles. i got it for $3000. I could just put a spring on but I thought I would freshen it up while I was at it The rebound adjustment dosent seem to do anything. The shock packs up on any series of small shutter bumps, washboard and the like. Lots of oil on the shock body, looks like the seal leaked. Most likely will be contacting SV about an Elka, just a little more $$ than I wanted to put out for a shock, but of the shocks I found so far I like the Elka and it's adjust ability the best.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The most common source for the oil leak is the hydraulic preload adjuster, an easy fix. That said, the stock shock even when new sure isn't a great damper.

You can save some money on a new shock by omitting the remote preload adjuster. If you don't carry a passenger, consider this (adjusting the preload with adjusting rings at the spring is tedious and probably not something anyone wants to do if the load on the bike changes frequently due to a passenger.)

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Racetech can modify your shock into a rebuildable unit, spring it and valve it to your needs. I had mine done last year, forget the exact cost but less than a new one of any quality.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Bret Leef who lives in the Lake Elsinore area is the only person that would touch mine. 1 (951) 678-6350

·
Registered
120 Posts
Has anyone gone the Daugherty Motorsports route? Seems like a great deal but is it to good to be true?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Has anyone gone the Daugherty Motorsports route? Seems like a great deal but is it to good to be true?

:confused:
I know some people here have gone this route and been happy with the results, and for $235 (plus shipping) I almost did it too. I ended up spending $800 on a yet to be installed Elka to get all the bells and whistles.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have been in contact with Daugherty Motorsports and plan on using them when I can pony up the cash to do the whole front and rear suspension.

He seems very helpful, and knowledgeable. Not to mention how quick he was on his responses and willingness to help.

I will be writing up on them if and when I get the chance to pull the trigger on it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know some people here have gone this route and been happy with the results, and for $235 (plus shipping) I almost did it too. I ended up spending $800 on a yet to be installed Elka to get all the bells and whistles.
That is about where I am now. Did the $800 get you the pre load adjuster?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
That is about where I am now. Did the $800 get you the pre load adjuster?
I got the manual preload adjuster, I only ride solo and once preload is set I don't really adjust it. The remote hydraulic preload will run you another $200.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts