StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a set of 3/4” lowering links on my 2015 650A. I have noticed that I feel the cracks and small bumps in the road more.

What effect does installing lowing links have on the rear preload setting?

·
Registered
327 Posts
In theory, it should have nothing to do with it, but the geometry of the bike has changed. Did you lower the front end as well?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I lowered the front end also.

I also have been hearing a plastic bumping noise when I hit large bumps. I am wondering if it is my GIVI hugger hitting the under side of the rear fender. I looked under the fender and at the hugger and do not see anything that looks like a rubbing or hitting.

I have the preload set on 2 and I weight a 190 lbs with maybe 20 lbs in my saddle bags/trunk/underseat.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
You should be able to see some signs of rubbing somewhere, right? Maybe under the hugger?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ive just replaced my fibreglass hugger with the Givi one, it was destroyed by the bike being softer due it being lowered and bottoming out regularly. I replaced the standard sprung with a progressive Hyperpro one and it has made all the difference. Only installed the give one today and havent had a ride out yet, bit looking at it, I don't expect it to be an issue.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Lowering or Raising the Strom's rear

Lowering links increase the mechanical advantage, making the suspension relatively softer. There is only about 1-1/8" maximum extra space before the tire begins to hit the fender. Lowering 3/4" plus sticking a hugger in there is likely not to provide enough room. The hugger is probably hitting the fender. I doubt if you have enough preload dialed in. Each end should sink about 40mm under full load compared to full suspension extension with the wheel off the ground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts