StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reading that the 650 is a better buy than the 1000 because of the lower price and lower Insurance costs.

I like the lower cost of ownership but I'm 6'1" and 230 lbs.

Do you think the 650 has enough power for a cross country trip (99% highway - no passenger - just me and my gear.)

What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
13,082 Posts
Yes absolutely. I have been somewhere in the 230 to 260 lb range in the time I rode my DL650's and never had an issue with power whether by myself, with a pile of crap in the back, with a passenger, or with an oversized passenger and a pile of crap in the back.

The DL650 is, in my opinion, much better than any pre-2014 DL1000's, and the new DL1000 is much like a higher powered DL650 but with much better suspension, brakes, dash, etc.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
You can get a 2014 1000 for almost the price of the 650. I'd say it's a no brainer. The insurance isn't that much worse. I own both the 2015 DL650XT and the 2015 DL1000 and pay only around $640 a year full coverage for both. The 650 is $224 by itself.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Here's how I rank the stroms:
14+ 1000
12+ 650
Pre 12 650
Pre 14 1000

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm reading that the 650 is a better buy than the 1000 because of the lower price and lower Insurance costs.

Do you think the 650 has enough power for a cross country trip (99% highway - no passenger - just me and my gear.)

What do you think?
both are good bikes see if this helps

https://youtu.be/InF-1Fd7R2Q

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have been riding a 2008 DL 1000 for nearly 4 years now, and just last week also picked up a 2006 DL 650. I am enjoying the 650 so much I wish I had of bought one 10 years ago. In my opinion it is a far superior bike and much more enjoyable to ride. I am 6'1" and 260 lbs. Yes, the 650 is noticeably less torquey and powerful than the 1000 but it has the advantage in every other aspect. I can't speak for the newer generation of vstroms.

·
Adventure Traveler
285 Posts

What do you think?
The 650 has plenty of power for any kind cross country travel. I have taken both of mine to every state but Hawaii. Along with all USA 4 corners, these bikes have taken me across Canada & all over Alaska. So far, my 2012 has 50,000+ miles & my 2013 has 30,000+ miles. Both bikes have been trouble free. Both are fully kitted with side cases & top box, bash plates, engine bars, hand guards, etc. I usually travel with full camping gear & tools for maintenance & repairs. Typical trips range from 3-5 day long weekends of 1000 to 3000 miles up to 4 weeks & 12000+ miles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can get a 2014 1000 for almost the price of the 650. I'd say it's a no brainer. The insurance isn't that much worse. I own both the 2015 DL650XT and the 2015 DL1000 and pay only around $640 a year full coverage for both. The 650 is $224 by itself.
Who do you use for full coverage insurance? I just paid Geico $230 for liability and comprehensive but NOT collision.

·
Registered
13 Posts
kme - check progressive, and use a local agent. I'm in SA and pay way under $200 a year per bike for full coverage.

Also, in the spirit of the thread -- I'm seriously considering re-entering the Strom world after a two-year hiatus, and I'm looking REALLY hard at the WeeStrom. I previously owned an '05 650 and it was a great machine. In the top three bikes I've owned.

Fuel economy, weight, availability of accessories and parts -- 650 all the way, but no love loss on the 1000; great bike and the re-design was a huge step in the right direction.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The 650 definitely has enough juice for extended highway riding at speeds up to around 85mph. I took my '14 on a 2-week trip out West from Boston earlier this summer, taking the highway all the way going and coming at gps speeds of 80-85mph. Did around 500 miles a day on those highway days, except for the last day, when I did just over 900 (to surprise my wife a day earlier than expected). With stock gearing, the engine is revving around 6k at 80, from I remember. So, it's a little busy at those speeds, but as we all know has no ill effect on these bullet proof engines. Gas mileage really starts to drop once over 75mph or so, but still respectable. Mine never burned a drop of oil.
Having said that, I recently picked up '14 Vee2. I still plan on keeping the Glee, though. The 1k is certainly more fun. Much better suspension, brakes, butter-smooth hydraulic clutch, torque. I really like the way it handles. But, the 650 is more practical; better gas mileage, takes 87 octane (vs 90 for the vee2), cheaper insurance. I was able to score a sweet deal on the vee2. Basically paid around the same for it as I did for my Glee a year ago. There are dealers out there trying to dump leftover '14 1000's for as low as $8K. I would not pay the msrp of $12699, though. For not much more, might as well go with the super tenere.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
When I was bike shopping the salesman tried for 6 months to get me to test ride the new 650, I wanted nothing to do with it because it was a 650. One day I was in the right mood and I took it out. Came back and did the paperwork. These things run way out of their class. I have done 1000 mile days at 90 and the bike just smiled at me. I keep thinking I need something bigger, then I get on it and forget all about it. It carries me and all my gear wherever I want to go at license suspension speeds. Best bike ever build considering the cost.

+1 for the >2012 650

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 2012 650 is my first bike. It is plenty powerful to carry my 235lbs commuting to work all summer. Insurance first year as a newly licensed rider was $150. This year only $100 with State Farm.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have no need for anything bigger. I ride two up most of the time and have had bigger bikes. This one is just sweet for everything.:thumbup:

Coops.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Wow, no love for the Vee1?

With the added power of 350cc, and only 50 additional pounds of weight, if the choice were Vee1 vs Wee, I'd go Vee any day. But I'm also a bigger guy (6'2" 230 lbs) so the extra weight is no big deal to me. Would like to get a Vee2 some day, but the CFO says no time soon.

Still... any 'Strom is better than no 'Strom.

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
Wow, no love for the Vee1?

With the added power of 350cc, and only 50 additional pounds of weight, if the choice were Vee1 vs Wee, I'd go Vee any day. But I'm also a bigger guy (6'2" 230 lbs) so the extra weight is no big deal to me. Would like to get a Vee2 some day, but the CFO says no time soon.

Still... any 'Strom is better than no 'Strom.
In the eyes of the beholder I guess, as my previous 2 gen 1000 models I owned and enjoyed, cannot overall hold a candle to the 650 versions as an overall package. But yup any Strom has its merits, they are just fabulous machines.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts