StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Im weighing my options on buying my first V-strom and have found a couple alternatives that I was going to check if anyone has any opinions about.
Option 1 is an 06 dl1000 with 31000km, seems to be in okey cond acc pics and info. Price about 5000€.
Option 2 is an -14 dl650 with 20000km and in really good condition all around. Price 6600€.

Question here is it worth spending some more money to get a newer year strom even though its the smaller engine? Im thinking also How much is it worth to have the ABS brakes on the newer one?
I dont think at least that I would have much use for the extra power, prob Will not be riding 2up at least.

Any 1st time buyers tips are most appreciated!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just went from a 2012 650 (purchased new) to a new to me 14 1000 and this is what I have noticed. The 650 "to me" seemed a little more fun and sporty on some back grounds. Had to up or done alot more. In the 1000 I left it in 3rd and just cruised. I have only put 100 miles on the 1000 so far but I enjoyed it. Either way I think you will be happy.

·
Registered
184 Posts
What bike are you coming from (or is this a first bike)?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I just went from a 2012 650 (purchased new) to a new to me 14 1000 and this is what I have noticed. The 650 "to me" seemed a little more fun and sporty on some back grounds. Had to up or done alot more. In the 1000 I left it in 3rd and just cruised. I have only put 100 miles on the 1000 so far but I enjoyed it. Either way I think you will be happy.
but he is talking about 2006 1000. Big difference!

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I had a 2007 1000, and loved the motor.. it got totalled in 2012, and my wife didn't ride with me very often then, so I ordered a new 2012 650, before they were in the dealerships. I loved that bike too, but always missed the bigger motor. I just sold my 650 and picked up a 2014 1000 with 6,000 miles on it, rode it home from Reno, and fell in love again. The motor, the brakes, the suspension, the extra stability on a two lane highway at speed with oncoming trucks, it is just more bike in many ways. If you like, want, or need the extra power for passing or just cause you want it, the 1000 is a ton of fun. The 650 would be newer, ABS, new styling, new dash, trip computer etc, and a great all round bike too.
Can you test ride both and see which one gets your adrenaline going ?

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
As mentioned above, what bike you’re coming from is important to determine which bike you would be happy with.

The current gen 650 is a great bike. Smooth as butter engine and transmission. Power when you need it, comfortable and handles surprisingly well for a tall adventure bike. I loved mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, thanks for all of your input, really appreciate it!

To answer the question of previous bike I have ridden a Honda rebel 250 a couple years to ”learn” to ride bikes better. So obviously no matter which strom I get it Will be quite alot more heavier, faster, etc.

Thats also a reason Im little bit leaning towards the 650, feels dangerous to up the power so much in one go with the 1000cc when I would still count myself as a novice rider 😉

Are services any harder to do on the little newer bikes? Im thinking id like to do the ”normal” stuff myself, like oil changes, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,103 Posts
I'd get the bike with ABS. I wish my 2006 vstrom had it. The old 1000's had some fueling inconsistencies (remedied by an aftermarket power commander module) and an issue known as the "chudder" - it's a clutch basket issue that sometimes occurs, making the clutch inconsistent in feel - also fixable, but it's not an 'easy' fix. Still, those items may have already been addressed on the 1000 you're looking into.

I'd prolly get the 650. It's very similar to the previous generation 650, with minor updates and a revised engine - still basically the same great platform. Factor in the ABS and you have your clear winner.

I do think you'd have no problem managing the 1000, but the 650 is a sure bet - and it won't rock your budding confidence on 2 wheels. The torque balloon that hits around 4500 rpm with the 650's engine is very nice indeed, and it's a fun engine to run up thru the gears. Smooth as butter too.

(don't forget - the 650 is easier on insurance costs too, and can get much better mpg)

Having piloted a 2006 vstrom 650 since 2009 to now, if I were to upgrade, I'd prolly try a 2014 or newer 1000 vstrom, basically for the "why the hell not" factor alone. That will take some doing, for I still really look forward to riding my 650 - it's wonderful.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Since you don't have a much experience you should not even think about 1000. Go gradually. Get confidence and more miles. 650 is much easier and friendlier bike than 1000.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts