StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I have learned a lot from this list...thanks. I have looked at both the 650 and the 1000, like both and feel comfortable on either. I currently ride a HD Sportster, so getting used to the weight/engine size of either is not the issue for me between the two DL's. Since I don't plan riding two up, but do plan on extended trips with tools, etc., I am wondering whether the 650 will be plenty for me or whether I need to go to the 1000. I am 5'11" at 180 lbs. I realize this is a very subjective issue, so what I am looking for is the performance of the 650 vs 1000 under the conditions I plan to ride within. Thanks for the input and for all the information shared here to learn about these machines. Carl

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes like you said, this is a very subjective question. I had a SV650 before my Strom and rode mostly with my Harley Sportster riding buddy. I think if the Strom 650 was available last year I would have been very tempted to get it as my SV more than kept up with my HD riding buddy, but now after riding the 1000cc model I couldn't imagine riding a 650 Strom. I absolutely love the additional power, but I can see the temptation, especially with the price difference.
I don't know what to advise, except to tell you that I love my Strom, just wish I could have waited for the 04 and it's adjustable screen.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
pfletch said:
Yes like you said, this is a very subjective question. I had a SV650 before my Strom and rode mostly with my Harley Sportster riding buddy. I think if the Strom 650 was available last year I would have been very tempted to get it as my SV more than kept up with my HD riding buddy, but now after riding the 1000cc model I couldn't imagine riding a 650 Strom. I absolutely love the additional power, but I can see the temptation, especially with the price difference.
I don't know what to advise, except to tell you that I love my Strom, just wish I could have waited for the 04 and it's adjustable screen.
+1^^

The 650 has plenty of power for touring. It has around 75 horsepower. I had a carbureted SV that put down around 72 horsepower and I took it on many long trips. It did fine!

Like pfletch said, if the DL650 had been around when I bought my 1k, I would've probably gotten the 650. Why? Well, I love the motor and it's a lot cheaper! I wish I could've waited for an 04 but I bought an 03 because I got a great deal on it. I have no regrets. Also, I think the DL650 will handle a tad better than the 1000 due to its reduced weight.

Good luck in your decision. It is a hard one.

·
Registered
351 Posts
DL's

Just had the DL1000 out in the spring like weather, here's to the PNW.
I've be thinking about where the riders weight will start to make a difference in which bike will be the one to choose. I figure the line is at 185lbs for the rider. So if your under 185lbs you could go with the DL650. If your 185lbs + go with the DL1000. I understand there are a lot of factors involved, but I think if your a big person there should not be a problem with throwing around the larger brother.

Scooter

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DL 650 perfomance

OK, I've got a brand new 650 and I am still in the brake in period, but I rode a friend's with 4k km, (around 2,5k miles?) hard. I don't think you need the extra power unless you plan to ride with a lot of weight at speeds higher than 150 km/h consistently. I am 180 cm and 80 kilos plus another 60 of my woman and I don't feel I need more... Wy friend has measured 194km/h with his GPS and I get 100 km/h at 4700 rpm on 6th... Another thing is size, the 1000 with its twin exhausts is bulkier and the 650 barely fits in the bike area of my garage...

I had an XJR1200 before the 650 and to tell you the truth I chose less because I knew that most of the hp of the old xjr I never used , except on stupid avenue show offs when younger kids tried to race me with their newer RRs! And eventually, they still outraced me regardless of the bike because I am too old to take the risks I used to take back in 1982 with my GPZ550 :)

Anyway, I believe that it is safer to try the 650 for a year and if it is not enough go for a bigger bike next year... The 1000 would depreciate worse than the 650...at least in Greece it works that way...

cul8er

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For two up riding you would like the additional power of the 1000. The 650 is almost as heavy as the 1000 but you are giving up 350cc. I have an 04/1000 and can't believe how light it feels.
They wanted to meet a price point on the 650 but to me they forgot some important features of a dual sport bike. No hand guards, no skid/belly plate, non adjustable clutch-brake handle. Somehow a semi off road bike has to have hand guards and a skid plate. I never liked the idea of the oil filter exposed to anything that decides to hit it even on non off road riding

1 - 6 of 6 Posts