StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking a Stroms very seriously but can't decide which to get. I'm a heavy guy(240lbs) and about 5'10". Will the 650 have enough umph to cruise at 75-80mph without too much buzziness? I've been riding for a year and logged over 10,000 miles my first year. I want the ability to pack up and ride on a 3 day trip. I started with an '02 Suzuki Volusia, then a '07 Kawasaki Nomad, then an '07 Harley Street Glide. Looking for something lighter, more fun, but still able to tour with comfort.

Any advise is appreciated

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm looking a Stroms very seriously but can't decide which to get. I'm a heavy guy(240lbs) and about 5'10". Will the 650 have enough umph to cruise at 75-80mph without too much buzziness? I've been riding for a year and logged over 10,000 miles my first year. I want the ability to pack up and ride on a 3 day trip. I started with an '02 Suzuki Volusia, then a '07 Kawasaki Nomad, then an '07 Harley Street Glide. Looking for something lighter, more fun, but still able to tour with comfort.

Any advise is appreciated
being 5'10" @225 and on a Wee I can say "so sweat." I run a 17 tooth CS sprocket and cruse at that speed everyday on the freeways. I have a Happy Trails top box with my gear and sometimes I use a milkcrate with my pumps it and alland still no sweat.
This bike will pull you and your "stuff" without a problem.
Have fun.
bill.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
15th is stock.

I am 6'2" and 235lbs and i got a 07 650.
I regret not getting the 1000. Its a great little bike and has more power than what you'll think it should for being a 650, but its a buzzy bike on the interstate at those speeds you listed. I put a 16th on mine and it helped, but not enough. I hate to go any bigger and lose any more low end.

If your going to be doing alot of riding at 70mph + i'd get the 1000.

Now with saying that i will also say i think thats a very opinionated thing.
I've come off all big bore bikes for more than 10 years and i think have got used to the low rpm lugging a big bore does down the highway. I thought i'd get used to it, but now after 10,000 miles i have not.

A buddy of mine came off a 79 Yamaha xs 650 when he bought his 650 Wee, and he thinks its great.

Because of the highway buzziness i am looking to get a new bike next year. DL1000 .. or maybe a GS1200 Adventure.

Theres my $.02 ... or was that $.04 :D

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I get a feeling you're gonna be a 1000 guy.

You didn't mention price, fuel economy or ABS brakes which are the major advantages of the 650.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am big and the wee is for me but....

I weigh 250+ and the wee works for me, I can hit 80mph or more by the time I get on the four lanes. My wife and I have ridden ~700+ miles in two days before fully loaded, with a lot of 70-80mph. I will have to admit, fully loaded it loses a lot of its snap, but will still go as fast as I need. As for buzziness, it doesnt bother me, but this is my first bike.(18,000 first year!!!) Also, I don't know just how much more powerful the Vee really is, having never ridden one. I get from 50 to 65 mpg depending. If you do your own work, I have read that valve adjustment is easier on the Vee, but that is practically a one time thing ( I think) hope this helps. BTW, get crash bars regardless (maybe a bash plate too), they can save you a lot of grief (don't ask me how I know):D

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Its a great little bike and has more power than what you'll think it should for being a 650, but its a buzzy bike on the interstate at those speeds you listed.
This has always confused me. I don’t know what buzzy mean with the 650. At highway speeds you can’t even hear the engine.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
This has always confused me. I don’t know what buzzy mean with the 650. At highway speeds you can’t even hear the engine.

No i'm not refering to noise, i'm refering to vibration throughout the whole bike. You won't notice it if you've never been on a big bike down the interstate, but if you have you'll know exactly what i mean.

I usually pull over to take a break from riding on a long ride due to my body being tingley rather than my rear end being sore.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
No i'm not refering to noise, i'm refering to vibration throughout the whole bike. You won't notice it if you've never been on a big bike down the interstate, but if you have you'll know exactly what i mean.

I usually pull over to take a break from riding on a long ride due to my body being tingley rather than my rear end being sore.
I used to own a HD and have been on a DL1000.

The Wee is much smoother.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I've had a 1000 and currently own a 650. If you're having doubts at whether the 650 has enough power then get the 1k.

The 1k definitely doesn't work as hard at highway speeds than the 650. However, someone mentioned buzziness. I have negligible vibration at cruising speeds of 75. Sure, the 1k has 20ish more horsepower. But, for some reason the 650 is more fun to ride.

The 1k does have a better front suspension. It has cartridge forks instead of damping rod forks. That's the only thing I liked better about the 1k than the 650. The 650 is lighter, more flickable, easier to take off-road and gets much better gas mileage.

One other thing the 1k has going for it is they can be had for much better deals than the 650 since the 650s fly off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your help guys! I'll probably wait and save a little more money and get the 1000. After all, I'm used to a 1584 cc hog with a 6 speed. I could cruise at 100mph at 3,500 rpms. I think the buzziness of the smaller engine will bug me.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Doesn't the 1500 cc hog have the same power and torque numbers of the 650but at half the weight? I don’t know how you cruised at 100. My hog maxed out at about 105. I’ve ridden with lots of HDs on the highway and they tend to peter out at 100 and the riders appear to be struggling to maintain those speeds. They could not keep up with a little old 650 at 100 indicated and had nothing left over to accelerate pass that.

Both the DLs are an improvement over a HD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My 96 inch hog had a few mods, but in general are much more powerful than the previous 88 inch model. Mine dyno'd at 84hp and 96 ft. lbs. of torque at the rear wheel. I could hit 75 in 2nd gear at redline and over 100 in 3rd. I had it up to 115 and it was still pulling strong in 5th. I want something lighter and more agile and less expensive that can be driven on gravel roads. That's why I'm looking at the stroms. I wish I could have both.
Thanks for your input.

·
not very quiet
289 Posts
Hog power

Just from reading other folk's posts, I'm in favor of you looking seriously at the DL1000. Having said that, I just finished a 2770 mile trip around the northeast states on my 650, loaded fairly heavily with luggage and camping gear. The bike was fine. I have the gel seat and used a butt pad, but still got a bit sore on the last long leg.

One of my stops was in Virginia to visit my brother. I rode his '07 Electra Glide Ultra Classic and loved it. Very smooth on the freeway and that cruise control is the sh*t. He did the usual PCIII/airbox/pipes mod and the bike runs well. After a couple hours, we swapped back (me on the 650, him on his harley) and pulled onto the freeway. I started to pull around him and heard him hit the throttle to try to keep me from passing. My bike was unloaded, so fairly light, but I totally dusted his doors. It wasn't even close. Later when I let him catch up, I could see him mouth "you win" and laugh. I have a 16t front sprocket, so not quite the accelleration of a stock bike, but otherwise no performance mods. It's just a different type of engine and a much lighter bike. I think (just from riding with Vee owners) that the 1000 would dust my 650 in a similar way. Not as nimble, but a bit more kick in the pants.

One of the roads I hit in West Virginia was US 33. Mile after mile of twisties with grades up to 9%. There were times, especially when the altitude approached 3000 feet, that my 650 was having to breath pretty hard to keep up the pace. I think a 1000 would have handled that a bit better too.

The last thing I would say is that no matter which you choose, you will spend a bit of time (and $) tweaking it to make it fit. Changing the airflow around the windshield is a must. If you buy the 650, the stock seat is a torture device and must go. There are others, but those are the two biggies.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Mike that's fine riding "US 33" I used to take it to work every day from Harrisonburg Va to Sugar Grove WV. Watch for deer! ;)

·
Registered
268 Posts
:beatdeadhorse5:
I'm looking a Stroms very seriously but can't decide which to get. I'm a heavy guy(240lbs) and about 5'10". Will the 650 have enough umph to cruise at 75-80mph without too much buzziness?
Either bike will do you fine. The 650 is available with ABS and gets 5-10mpg more than the 1000 as well as being a few pounds lighter. The 1000 of course has a lot more down-low torque. Both have far more power than you'll ever need at your size and weight for cruising at 75-80mph. The ergonomics on both are identical once you swap seats. Choose your poison. I chose the 650, but that's because ABS and MPG were my biggest criteria and it's not as if the Wee is slow compared to my other bike (a KLR 650, which has all the power of a typical riding lawnmower -- and sounds like one too as it tweets down the road). Your criteria may be different. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
We have both the 650 and the 1000 in the garage. Both are modified to fit the rider. I raised my 1000 and lowered the wifes 650. When I got her the 650 I put about 500 miles on it before i lowered it.

The 650 motor is smoother overall. The 1000 has flat spots and is rough in the lower RPM range. The discussion on the topic rages accross various forms and various solutions and fixes are out there. I put on some Leo pipes to drop some wieght / add some HPs and a Power Commander. I have tried a lot of fixes - had a custom map built and I have settled on a performance map that still has a bit of a rough spot in the 2k-3k range but is more of an annoyance than anything because i only see those RPMS in first gear when starting out really.

The 1000 is better on the interstate by far. You run about 2k lower RPMS and the tall 6th gear just rocks.

I am lucky enough to have a few bikes in the garage for different types of riding. If i could only have ONE bike in the stable it would be the DL650.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts