StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After allot of trial fitting, take off, dremal, put on, take off, dremal, put on. I finally got it done. The heat shield was a real PITA.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
That looks pretty sweet - anybody done an actual functional dual exhaust modification? It can't be all that hard -can it?? I wonder what kind of HP gains that would provide, not to metion how sweet it would look (and sound)!!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Man..........that is ingenuity! Like that as a storage area.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
That looks great! I did the same thing with 4" ABS but without the endcap there and heatshield. Nice touch.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
That is really a cool mod. Very professional looking and great attention to detail.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nice mod. One quick question though. Whats the life expectancy of those tires? I like 'em.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks allot ya'll. It good to hear once in a while. Its really good to here because I had allot of time in this pipe, and would hate to do it again. It drug out for almost five weeks, hitting it when i could. I have to admit, it went in the trash more than once, only to be dug out and slapped back on the bench when i was mounting my steed for work the next morn. Those are the TKC 80's. The wear is not very good, I figure I will very lucky to get 4k out of the rear. I will look at the new Metzler Karoo tire next for the back end.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank You Tollster for your posting of this flawlwess job...

What I would like to ask you is where did you get the heat shield and the muffler in cap to make this. Can you attach this storage device without having bags on your bike. Thank You Again in advance for all of your post...
Troy

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
What I would like to ask you is where did you get the heat shield and the muffler in cap to make this. Can you attach this storage device without having bags on your bike. Thank You Again in advance for all of your post...
Troy
I checked ebay from time to time. HINT: When searching bay use many varables of the Vstrom, such a V-strom, Vstrom, and of course DL650.
I found this one off a K5 650 for 65.00. The previous owner was either parting it out or upgrading to a perfomance exhaust. He used a hacksaw and cut it off just downstream of the collector. I salvaged the muffler, end cap, heat shield, and heat shield brackets. I wanted to use the origianl hardware for the heat shield, so I dremaled off the brackets, heated them up with a propane torch and re-arched them as the PVC had a smaller radius. Then I riveted them to the PVC, and used ATV to seal up the inside from any moisture isses.
The heat shield was by far the most challenging as it would not fit in between the fender and the pannier frame. I made a templete from a Coors Case and transfered the final patteren onto the shield. Otherwise I would have dremeled too much material off. It still needed some final clearance cleanup.
The other issue was the PVC is higher at the rear than it is in the front, otherwise it would not have matched the other side in height, and the endcap would have hit that rear bar that goes to the panniers. So I found some Nylon grommets at lowes and cut them diagionally, then I sanded the face of the side I cut, I did this on the side of the PVC to match the outside radius. During final install, these shims where placed between the pannier and the PVC. In the front the thicker side faced upwards and in the rear, the thicker side faced downwards. I saved the other halfs for the final bolt up on the inside of the PVC tube to aid in this alignment and to give a flat face in the tensioning of the nylon locknuts and fender washers { On the inside the grommets where flipped in the oppisite direction from the ones on the outside of the PVC}.
This help maintain the angle as the grommets with the diaginal cut placed 180 out from one another "Rolled" the tube.
As for the last question: I can remove the panniers, but not the frame of the pannier as this tube is bolted to that.
You are very welcome Troy, and thanks to all of you for the generous complements. I don't think I would have had this idea if it wasn't for all of ya'll here at the stromtrooper forum:)
Toll

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Kudos for a very well executed mod.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts