StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm beginning my search for a "wee-strom" to build into an adventure bike. I've seen the 650 used for a decent price, but, I don't really know the bike yet. Is there a particular year I should look for? Is there a year to avoid?

My plan is to completely rebuild the bike so, miles aren't really an issue.
I Plan to rebuild/Upgrade engine, clutch, tranny, suspension, etc. and make the bike into a road/dirt track adventure bike. Something I can take to the arctic circle and to death valley.

Right now I have a Goldwing, which is great for what it is-a 2up Cadillac.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Sounds like fun! I hope you stick around here and show us all your work.

I might add that you will hear from me and others that you really shouldn't need to touch the engine or tranny. Mainly focus on the suspension and some accessories/farkles and you can have a pretty killer bike.

As far as years are concerned. The later the year the more "refined". Hopefully Greywolf chimes in and will give you all the details.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Hello,
Something I can take to the arctic circle and to death valley.
Been done already , multiple times - on stock DL's :) , and the Road of Bones.
As others have said, all it needs is suspension and possibly wheels. Engine and transmission is fine as is.

The 2012 has slightly better engine and transmission, but there's not a lot wrong with the earlier models. Those aren't it's weak points.

Pete

·
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the feedback. The reason for the engine, tranny, clutch rebuild idea is whatever bike I get will have some high commuter miles. A 2004 I'm looking at has 80,000 miles. I'm looking for bombproof.

Yes, when I finally get the bike I'll post up pics, etc as the tear down and build up proceeds. Ofcourse, I'll be asking for some ideas on 'what would you do'. The search continues.

M

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts

·
38,103 Posts
A 2004 I'm looking at has 80,000 miles.
That's probably less than half it's useful life assuming oil changes were done properly.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
I appreciate the feedback. The reason for the engine, tranny, clutch rebuild idea is whatever bike I get will have some high commuter miles. A 2004 I'm looking at has 80,000 miles. I'm looking for bombproof.

Yes, when I finally get the bike I'll post up pics, etc as the tear down and build up proceeds. Ofcourse, I'll be asking for some ideas on 'what would you do'. The search continues.

M
It will probably be cheaper to buy a lower mileage bike than to completely rebuild the motor.

·
38,103 Posts
I thought I read the gearing changed slightly, yes?
They made it sound like a new thing, but it isn't. Even the part numbers on the gears are the same. They are also touting the 32bit ECU which actually began in 2007.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts

M
Why would you do that instead of just buying something with fewer miles?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Unfortunately there are no upgrades that can improve the ground clearance, which I find to be the wee's "achilles heel" for real adventure touring. Hopefully this will not be an issue.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
The transmission is unchanged.
The ratio's MAY be the same, but the clutch is different as is the selector mechanism (Supposedly). It changes a bit smoother and has less tendency to get false neutrals at high load/rpm. Supposedly a scissor type mechanism rather than single sided, take a look at the parts list to confirm ...

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Why would you do that instead of just buying something with fewer miles?
the poster is probably addicted to tinkering.:thumbup:

In all honesty given the entry price even a brand new Wee, it is surely less hassle and better outcome to get a newer wee.

·
38,103 Posts
The ratio's MAY be the same, but the clutch is different as is the selector mechanism (Supposedly). It changes a bit smoother and has less tendency to get false neutrals at high load/rpm. Supposedly a scissor type mechanism rather than single sided, take a look at the parts list to confirm ...

Pete
All true. The primary gear is a scissors gear now. That's just to reduce noise. The selector system and clutch actuator are new. Clutch pull is lighter. Suzuki separates clutch, transmission and gear shifting into three sections of the parts fiche. Transmission is the same and the others have changes.

·
Registered
470 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts