StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Wee is pretty much stock. I have wired a 12v outlet on it, but do not run anything off of it most of the time. I am looking at getting a heated jacket and glove liners. If I get the 90 watt and the glove liners will I be able to run a gps unit in the future? Or should I just be on the safe side and get a 65 watt jacket liner. I am looking at the Firstgear heated liners.
Thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A GPS uses very little power. Jacket and gloves should be okay. You have about 125-150W to play with. Those pushing the envelope should mount a voltmeter.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Get a 90W jacket just for reserve heating capacity on the rare occasion when you need it. Use a controller that will keep the running wattage considerably lower the vast majority of the time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My wife has Gerbing heated gloves and only runs them on the lowest setting. Not sure of the wattage, though. Does anybody know if they run at a lower wattage continuously, or do they run at full wattage and cycle on/off?

·
Registered
267 Posts
So a 90 watt liner and glove liners would be ok?
You will be find with the 90w liner & gloves. I run that setup with my 2011 Wee & even on idle the voltage stays above 13.4 I actually have the entire set of heated gear jacket liner, pants liner, gloves, and socks. Now I have never ran all of them together but with the thermostat I am sure I could get along doing it for awhile. Like Greywolf said put a voltage gauge on the bike if in doubt. The charging system on the Wee charges at full output all the time so you are not actually hurting it pulling on it like this only that you will reach a point where it can't keep up with the demand and the battery will start to discharge. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
1 Posts
BuddhaMark,
Most heated gear controllers (Gerbing, First Gear, Warm and Safe) use pulse width modulators to control heat output. These draw full power for varying pulse lengths. Much like taker your toaster and plugging it in and unplugging it over and over. When you dial the know, the heated gear goes from drawing 100% full time, to drawing 100% for a fraction of a second in smaller and smaller spans. This has the effect of a lower heat output.

When you run gear that is split to different channels, you'll usually have them all pulsing at different temps which really doesn't impact anything. Just and observation. I've noticed that I run my gloves at full on much more often than my heated 90w liner. I rarely run that above about 40%. When it's down around 10 - 20 degrees F., I'll run it closer to 70% with an occasional 100% depending on how I'm layered underneath. And that is on my WR250R with full wind blast. I have the gloves on 100% once it's down to about 35 degrees.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Get a 90W jacket just for reserve heating capacity on the rare occasion when you need it. Use a controller that will keep the running wattage considerably lower the vast majority of the time.
I just discovered another reason why I am glad I chose the 90W FirstGear (Warm-n-Safe) jacket liner. I recently started experimenting with the Gerbings T5 Hybrid gloves (oh so nice). I connect them to the jacket liner's glove circuit. The glove circuit can be separated from the jacket circuit, but it is more convenient to combine them, IF you can be comfortable with a common heat setting. I find so far that the jacket liner feels only slightly cooler than the gloves. If not for the handguards, they might feel exactly even. The 65W jacket liner would of course feel even cooler, and proibably too cool, relative to the gloves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts