StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Coming up on 65,000 miles for my 06 DL 1000.

In the last 10-15k, I did have all the valves checked and the TB synced by a mechanic I trust.

I changed out a new sprocket and chain in the fall, bled the clutch and brakes, new brake pads all around.

Had to use some leak-stop on the radiator a few weeks ago, but haven't had any issues since then.

I recently scored some Race Tech springs for $60, and will be dropping those in when they arrive, but what else should I be taking a good look at?

What should be serviced/replaced at this kind of mileage?

Input appreciated as I make my list, thanks!

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Why did you do this leak-stop on the radiator a few weeks ago????
Hose? was the radiator itself leaking, Take it off and bring it to a local radiator repair shop, should be no more than 50 bucks...
I had a hose on my 04 leak and I thought it was the water pump
Turned out I just had to tighten a hose clamp..
Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you're going to open the forks up to drop in springs, consider getting the bushings and other consumable parts to replace at the same time :yesnod:

I figure fresh fork oil is a given :D

·
Registered
22,333 Posts
Hey folks,

Coming up on 65,000 miles for my 06 DL 1000.

In the last 10-15k, I did have all the valves checked and the TB synced by a mechanic I trust.

I changed out a new sprocket and chain in the fall, bled the clutch and brakes, new brake pads all around.

Had to use some leak-stop on the radiator a few weeks ago, but haven't had any issues since then.

I recently scored some Race Tech springs for $60, and will be dropping those in when they arrive, but what else should I be taking a good look at?

What should be serviced/replaced at this kind of mileage?

Input appreciated as I make my list, thanks!
major service that includes valve inspection is every 15k

intermediate service that includes TB sync and TPS adjustment is every 7500 miles, I find that the 1000 usually needs the routine intermediate service,

fwiw, I would NEVER put stop leak in the coolant, FIX THE LEAK, anything that can stop leaks can also clog passageways in the engine and impede the flow of coolant

FLush that crap

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Check for hemmoroids.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Find and fix that coolant leak. The original coolant and most motorcycle specific coolants have corrosion inhibitors good for about two years. Some automotive coolants have different corrosion inhibitors good for five years. The coolant needs to be drained and renewed to replenish the corrosion inhibitors.

Did you flush and renew all the brake & clutch fluid, or just bleed out any air? They need all new fluid periodically. (Your car and truck also benefit from new, fresh, dry brake fluid. You'll have less chance of corrosion in the calipers and wheel cylinders, and less chance of the moisture-laden fluid vaporizing under the heat of emergency braking. When moist hot fluid vaporizes, your pedal goes to the floor and you don't stop.)

The forks will likely perform better if they are cleaned and flushed and new fluid added. The old fluid oxidizes, and lots of crud from the wear of the parts is in the fluid. Take one off, drain it, flush with solvent & pump, drain, flush with any light oil (I use hydraulic jack oil) & pump, repeat until clean, drain, and fill with fork oil.

Carefully examine the wheel bearings and rear sprocket bearing. If there is any sign of even the smallest amount roughness or notchy-ness, or any rust or rusty powder, replace them. Carefully examine the steering stem bearings for any looseness or notchy-ness.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the tips everyone.

I've got the brakes and clutch fluids all new, and will be adding the following to my list:

1. Radiator flush and fix (find the leak)
2. Steering head bearing check
3. Anything rubber.

Thanks again, will post updates as things come up.

I actually washed my bike this weekend...well, not really.

But I did take the front sprocket cover off, scrape out something that resembled brownie mix, flushed the whole area with engine degreaser, and sprayed the bike down with purple power, followed by a hose wash, and chain maintenance.

Runs much better now....hahaha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts