StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 dl1000 and love it, the looks of the new 2014 and up dl1000 is starting to grow on me. So my question is to the big boys who are 6'4" and over who went from the first generation V Strom to the new model. How is the comfort, do you feel like a monkey on a football when riding it compared to the old one?? What do you like about the new one compared to the old one??? Tell me everything, etc, etc...

·
Registered
138 Posts
I love the bike but it is killing my back. I need to look into a seat.

I feel it can be setup to suit your height but farkles are needed.

·
Registered
525 Posts
truth be told if i was that tall i'd buy the ktm 1190

·
Registered
306 Posts
Is 2013 the "NEW" model ?

.. So my question is to the big boys who are 6'4" and over who went from the first generation V Strom to the new model. How is the comfort
I'm 6'4 and really long from the seat up (w/short 32" inseam). Never rode the "old" VEE and this is my first, the 2013. Is the 2014 a 'newer' model, I don't know.
Have a look at my 'profile' where there is a PIC of me on the bike. It "fits" well and I feel fine riding my machine. I ve read threads about airflow and buffeting but with my GiVi TALL windshield, I dont find any of that. My main problem, along with a lot of others here is with the OEM seat.
I just picked up an AirHawk2 inflatable "air" seat but will have to try it on an "All Day" ride to see how well it works.

·
Vendor
5,361 Posts
There are a few things taller guys with longer legs can easily do to improve the fit of the Vee2. Seat Concepts has a taller seat option. I think there is some information on it in the forum.

http://www.seatconcepts.com/store/products#!/Suzuki-2014-16-DL1000-V-Strom-*TALL*/p/54215068/category=14368033

We sell foot peg lowering kits, foot peg lowering kits with gear shift relocation.extension, and raising links in two sizes.

Footpeg and Control Lowering Kit - AdventureTech, LLC.

Gear Shift Relocation/Extension - AdventureTech, LLC.

Gen 2 DL1000 - AdventureTech, LLC.

·
Registered
251 Posts
6'3", 34" inseam. Aftermarket seat, Ricks peg lowering kit, bar risers. Couldn't be more comfortable.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Im only 6 ft but I needed the peg lowering kit and 1 inch bar risers and a seat (shad). The seat is no better than the oe so avoid this one. At your height you'll need a tall seat of some make as even with the peg kit theres just not enough leg room.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm 6'4" long torso 33 inseam.
I'm comfortable on it .Not quite as comfy as my first gen 650 and 1000 (its seems a bit smaller)but the brakes, overall handling, better power,abs,traction control more than make up for it.
95% of bikes feel way too small to me unlike this one.
I have Ricks peg lowering kit and gearshift extension.Installed rox 2" riser recently but not sure if I will leave it on.
I plan on getting a taller seat from Terry Adcox in the near future.Overall, there is no way I would trade my V2 for a first gen bike.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Needs mods for tall guys

I've only had the 2014, but here's what I found. At 6'4" with 35" inseam, I needed to get the tall OEM seat and a taller screen. Givi Airflow was my choice for screen, but it's not perfect--still have some rough air at the very top of my helmet, and an updraft that comes up the sides of the fuel tank.

Peg height is okay with the taller seat, though a little more seat-to-peg room might be nice. The reach to handlebars is long, even with my monkey arms. I haven't installed risers, but I may do that at some point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went with a taller Russell Day long saddle and a Givi Airflow windscreen to make it more comfortable for my 6'5" size. I still wasn't comfortable for more than a few hours. I also had a hard time with the suspension beating me up on rougher roads, even after some expensive upgrades. I also ride far more dirt/gravel roads than most in nearby Green Ridge and Michaux State forests. Although a better pavement bike than my DL650, I found the '14DL1000A less versatile.
I ended up trading it for a new Super Tenere ES. It is a definite improvement in ergonomics and ride comfort for a big guy. (It is also a step backwards for peg scraping twisty road hooliganism.)

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
6'5" with a 36" inseam. I have the tall seat and Givi windshield...one of the most comfortable bikes I've ever owned.

·
Registered
29 Posts
2014 vstrom 1000 here. 6'4" and wear a 34x36 pant size. Givi windscreen, terry adcox seat, 1" peg lowering kit. Stock handlebars. I ride more aggressively than most. Can easily put 200 miles on without fatigue etc. I contemplated the vstrom and the ktm 1290 superduke as I ride pavement 98% of the time. Still on the fence about the KTM to be honest. Didn't want a first production model year and wanted a little wind protection.

side note on the givi - it really gives little wind to the rider. Great if commuting (which I do frequently ~100miles/day). But on the hot days on the back mountain roads, gets a little toasty cause there really is no wind. Waiting patiently for someone to come out with a sport/bikini fairing.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Before I added the Givi and tall seat, I rode the bike over 500 miles in one day....totally stock. No problems. She's pretty dang good out of the box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did a 850+ mile round trip on my 14 dl1000 and I'll def be ordering the peg lowering kit. I'm 6'3 with a 32 inseam and needed to extend my legs out a few times while riding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've only had the 2014, but here's what I found. At 6'4" with 35" inseam, I needed to get the tall OEM seat and a taller screen. Givi Airflow was my choice for screen, but it's not perfect--still have some rough air at the very top of my helmet, and an updraft that comes up the sides of the fuel tank.

Peg height is okay with the taller seat, though a little more seat-to-peg room might be nice. The reach to handlebars is long, even with my monkey arms. I haven't installed risers, but I may do that at some point.
Almost identical for me ...I am 6"3" with OEM tall seat and Givi Airflow ...I also still experience some rough air at the very top of my helmet. I've done all day rides on the bike (that's about 300 miles for me) and arrived in good comfort. I tried the Holeshot Performance Comfort Handlebar for a closer reach, but ended up going back to the stock bar as I like it better for spirited riding.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just added the Adventurtech Foot Peg and Control Lowering Kit with the gear shift extension - what a difference an inch lower makes. Very comfy and relaxed riding position. My old knees thank you Rick! That with the Seat Concepts seat foam and cover and 1" bar risers, and I can ride all day in comfort. The combo also feels better standing on the pegs, more controlled.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
hmmmmppph ...feeling distinctly height challenged reading this....:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts