StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just curious I have been researching VStroms and I want a bike with ABS and the is the only one in my $8k budget. I know I could pick up a nice Wee with farkles in this range. But I am worried about power. I am a big guy as you can see in my thread title. Add in full luggage, trunk and panniers and I will be pushing 300lbs. Add in my wife for those once in awhile rides add another 115lbs. Will this bike have any performance at all or will it feel like a big scooter underneath me. Unfortunately for me I live in St. George UT and won't be able to test ride to know it's capabilities. Any and all info appreciated... Here is a photo of me sitting on a new Wee at the local dealer. Also do they differ from year to year? How far should I be willing to go buy buying used?

·
Registered
287 Posts
if it werent for your budget

I would say get a yamaha super tenere.. but life is full of compromises so after owning a wee and now a V. I suggest 4get the
abs and get a well farkled V

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am 6'3" and weigh about 275lbs and the Wee suits me just fine! I am no speed freak though but suprise some of my riding buddies on H.D.s at traffic lights and for sure on twisty roads!

·
Registered
263 Posts
6'1" and about 240 here. I have loaded it up and taken the significant other along and its more than adequate. You may begin to see chinks in the armor at around 75+ mph on the highway all loaded up, but I wouldn't say its scooter slow or dangerous at that point, you just won't fly past anyone at the speed of light. Its got a lot of kick for a 650. :thumbup: .... If anything the rear shock/spring is the biggest damper when you start adding a passenger and lots of luggage, but its OK for occasional duty.

·
Registered
664 Posts
6'3" 225, haven't felt too short on power, though I haven't gone 2-up with it yet. I'm also not a long-time rider on long trips, so YMMV.

It definitely feels like enough power to get me in plenty of trouble, FWIW.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I am 6'3" and weigh about 275lbs and the Wee suits me just fine! I am no speed freak though but suprise some of my riding buddies on H.D.s at traffic lights and for sure on twisty roads!
It doesn't take much to surprise a Harley rider. All you have to do is do the speed limit & you'll surprise them since they don't seem to know how to do that! :confused:

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'll be the bad guy here....the 650 is too small. Been there, done that at 6'4" and 280, having owned a Versys for 4 months and having ridden a 650 Strom.

Anyone over 240 who says the Wee or other bikes of that power range have enough power aren't in touch with reality. Maybe they came off on old CB450 and a modern 650 feels "powerful" but you're going to stretch the throttle cables trying to have that bike maintain a level of acceleration a 1000 would do without breaking a sweat. Add luggage (weight and wind resistance) and/or a passenger, it just doesn't make any sense IMO.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I'll be the bad guy here....the 650 is too small. Been there, done that at 6'4" and 280, having owned a Versys for 4 months and having ridden a 650 Strom.

Anyone over 240 who says the Wee or other bikes of that power range have enough power aren't in touch with reality. Maybe they came off on old CB450 and a modern 650 feels "powerful" but you're going to stretch the throttle cables trying to have that bike maintain a level of acceleration a 1000 would do without breaking a sweat. Add luggage (weight and wind resistance) and/or a passenger, it just doesn't make any sense IMO.
I'm only 5'11" and 180, but since I used toown 2 Vee and Wee (now) I complitly agree with Kurgan. Even without the luggage 650 at speed about 90 mph is not so good (also in a full department)

·
Registered
90 Posts
It really depends on what you are used to and what you want.
I am 6'2" 270lbs and it works fine for me. I love it.
However, it doesn't have the suspension for that wieght with gear. Had to upgrade.
I hadn't ridden in about 20 years when I bought mine new in 08, so my comparison is old bikes.
I can tell you that it is much more fun than my 2000 Chevy pickup.
And I no longer need the speed like I did in past years.
It is under powered for me and my wife with gear.

If you are in the information gathering mode then this is my opinion. It is free so take if for what it is worth.

It may or may not be a good fit for you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Comparison wise my last few bikes were a 2000 BMW RT-P which I felt was under powered a 2007 Yamaha FJR which I really enjoyed and a 2008 BMW GSA which I can't even explain how much I loved it. Problem was the Economy bit me in the butt had to sell and can't afford to get back on that horse at the moment. Looking for something to ease the pain in the interim... Also considering a KTM 990 but to be honest it's not high on my list because I ride probably 98% street. Might also look into a used Kawi C14... Oh the options. I just like the more upright feel of the ADV type bikes for my size...

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I'm planning on doing some riding in Southern Utah by the end of the year. I'd be happy to let you take a test ride on mine. The nickname "Wee" can imply that it's a small bike. Both the Wee and the Vee are a good size for a taller rider. However, if much of your riding will be 2 up, fully loaded at highway speed, then I would agree that extra grunt of the Vee would carry you better. But you mentioned that ABS is a priority, so that may be a deal killer for the Vee.

If most of your riding will be solo, lightly loaded with some mix of highway and off-road (which you definitely want to do in So. Utah), then the DL650 is a great choice for the money. You'll be able to enjoy the occasional ride with your wife around So. Utah and the National Parks in the area just fine. The speed limit in most of those areas is under 70 mph most of the time anyway.

Whether you go with the Wee or the Vee, you would still be smart to budget in some money for suspension and seat upgrades in addition to the normal farkles that improve the ride, fit and enjoyment of the V-Strom.

You might also want to talk to your dealer and find out when they plan on having 2012's in stock. The 2012's will all have ABS and I think it might be worth the wait. On the other hand, If they'll make you a sweet deal on that nice looking black 2011 ABS, maybe you should go for it now and we can ride together when I'm down there!

·
Registered
394 Posts
It really depends on what you are used to and what you want.
I am 6'2" 270lbs and it works fine for me. I love it.
However, it doesn't have the suspension for that wieght with gear. Had to upgrade.
Agree with this ...

I don'y understand when folks offer opinion as fact ... There are obviously people heavier than 240 riding a 650 with no issue. I am one of them ...

Most are happy, some are not. Fairly simple concept. It isn't as fast or powerful as a bike with 35% more displacement. For me, I don't go 90mph. At least not often (maybe is passing) but I don't hang out there ...

But, I live in the Midwest where the only thing more plentiful than corn is cops. If I lived out west, I may be bothered by the wee running out of power at higher speeds ... But for me and for most it is just not an issue. And in reality, it can run at 85 or so without much issue.

So there are factors like that that are likely more important than your weight (unless you are pushing 350 or something). (Don't mean to offend any 350's out there.)

But, if your question is simply (am I too heavy or too tall) the answer is a no. It will carry you fine.

Depends on:

1) where you will be riding
2) will you always be doing 90
3) will you have a passenger often ? Is your passenger 240 as well ?
4) Will you simply be dissatisfied if you don't always have ludicrous power ?

For me, I think it is perfect. I am about 270 and 6 feet tall. No issues.

To each his own ...:thumbup:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You might also want to talk to your dealer and find out when they plan on having 2012's in stock. The 2012's will all have ABS and I think it might be worth the wait. On the other hand, If they'll make you a sweet deal on that nice looking black 2011 ABS, maybe you should go for it now and we can ride together when I'm down there!

Thanks Satch and if I haven't already purchased something by then I would gladly take you up on your offer. To be honest I am about a 98% street rider anymore. My rides off road would be more Fire road type roads etc and most likely not single track etc. I took my GSA up on the Paiute trails a few years back and that bike was a handful. I have owned a few Street specific bikes like an FJR, and BMW RT-P and the GSA was a far better road bike than I though either of these were. Plus the GSA had the capability of off road if wanted or needed but the price tag even for the used ones is just to much right now. Hope to see ya when ya come down. If I have a bike maybe we can do a ride together somewhere down here..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Photo of me sitting on the 650 today at the dealer...

Bad quality photo and not looking at camera but you get the idea how I am size wise...

Anyone else my size care to share a photo of them riding there Wee?

·
Registered
552 Posts
"Enough power" means different things to different people. Some people think my Tiger 1050 is "under powered" and it has just at double what a Wee has.

I split my riding between my Wee 650 and my Tiger 1050. With the wife and I, full gear and luggage we are pushing 500 pounds on the bike. It pushed the suspension of the Wee to its limits. It does handle it but it could be improved. The engine handles it, but not at speed. It actually feels pretty good......until........until you get on the 1050, 118 HP Tiger triple. Then you feel the power difference.

The Wee gets the job done, the Tiger makes it interesting even with a load on it.

It really all depends on what you expect from the machine. The Wee gets by but it does not excel in it work with loads like this. The Triumph doesn't notice it so much. But, the Tiger has twice the power. At 500 pounds of load both machines show signs of weakness.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am 300# and sometimes wish my wee had more power. The bike does NOT need more power to carry my mass at legal speeds (and well beyond) and to take off from a traffic light like a mad man leaving everybody in my wake, I just sometimes desire more power. The suspension needs upgraded though but just dealing with it at the moment as I came off of a 1981 Kawasaki 440LTD that bottomed out on the lines in the road.

I would think you would be fine.

Sharing my photo (above) That was day one in april and since then I have added a top box and luggage (below) and over 7000 miles. Still doing fine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm 235lbs 6'5" and a 36" inseam the wee fits just fine I purchased a Suzuki gel seat for the 1000 and a foot rest lowering kit all is good. I previously rode a 1200 GSA and I must say that the position is comparable

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm 235lbs 6'5" and a 36" inseam the wee fits just fine I purchased a Suzuki gel seat for the 1000 and a foot rest lowering kit all is good. I previously rode a 1200 GSA and I must say that the position is comparable
You are on a Wee correct? Also do all the 650's have ABS or is it an option? I want ABS that is why I am asking...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
ABS became available as an option in 2007. It became standard in the USA in 2011.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts