StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm sure this info is elsewhere but, it seems the 600 mile service is a simple oil/filter change and inspection of bolts/cables? My dealer made mention that I void my warranty if I don't have it done at a dealer, is this accurate? I have a service appointment scheduled for later today, but I'm thinking if I can avoid it, I will.

I'm thinking I'll just go through the manual, check torque on bolts and do the oil/filter.....I hope I'm not missing something obvious.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Find another dealer.

Hi,

I'm sure this info is elsewhere but, it seems the 600 mile service is a simple oil/filter change and inspection of bolts/cables? My dealer made mention that I void my warranty if I don't have it done at a dealer, is this accurate? I have a service appointment scheduled for later today, but I'm thinking if I can avoid it, I will.

I'm thinking I'll just go through the manual, check torque on bolts and do the oil/filter.....I hope I'm not missing something obvious.
I have no idea whether your dealer can prove the assertion,
but I think the dealer's attitude and treatment of you show he is a BULLY.

When someone acts that way toward me,
he never sees penny one from me again.

In my case, the warranty never mattered. Nothing broke.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Check out the cost for this service, I think this one is worth paying for if reasonable.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
My dealer made mention that I void my warranty if I don't have it done at a dealer, is this accurate?
It's a bold faced lie. If you want to do your own work, keep receipts for oil, filters, etc and create a maintenance log of dates, mileage, and work done.

Magnuson-Moss Act

·
Registered
45 Posts
I asked the question when I bought my bike, and they told me that me doing the first service will not void the warranty. I can't imagine why it would. I have changed the oil in all of my vehicles and it has never voided a warranty. I personally feel much better when I work on my own stuff.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well outside the the oil change you are having things checked that should have been put together properly at the factory or during set up at the dealership. I bet it is more likely that he does not want to be sued and hopes you bring it in so he can catch his mistakes in set up so your estate does not sue him blind. That being the case I would demand he do it for free since his dealership is obviously incompetent.

Srsly though, you should pay for oil change only and as part of the dang "set up" fees they should cover the copious "inspections and torqueings" the service calls for.

600 miles come to me in about 1 week of ownership on a new bike. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
22,310 Posts
600 miles come to me in about 1 week of ownership on a new bike. :mrgreen:
what took so long:wink1:, I picked my bike up on a Friday and made and appointment for the next Tuesday and showed up with 1100 miles on the clock ( a different dealer than who I bought the bike from)

The only thing I recommend is to have the bike looked at by a competent mechanic to look for abnormalities that may be apparent, tires, chain, sprockets, brakes as well as oil & filter & fasteners. 600 mile service is a comprehensive inspection, 99.99% of the time probably no problems, something that is irregular that early is a serious and maybe dangerous problem

If an individual believes he/she is is competent to recognize abnormalities great, do your own work, its your bike and your ass riding it.

There's nothing shameful in paying a professional mechanic

more often, home mechanics, but also dealers get away with doing a half assed job without even knowing their own incompetence cause the bike is well built to begin with

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
133 Posts
competent mechanic

I consider myself a competent mechanic and I care more about my bike and my safety than anyone else does. I buy the service manual for every bike I purchase and I do all my maintenence. It is worth the effort and the peace of mind it brings.

NOTE: I did not start out considering myself a competent mechanic, I built up to it over 30 years of busted knuckles and head scratchin'.

I now do not buy bikes that cannot be owner serviced, but that is just me. YMMV!

My dealer wants $179 for that first service. I had to adjust the throttle cable slack before I left the lot, so I am pretty sure they hardly look at it before they sell them. In the first 600 miles I make numerous adjustments and check over fittings and cables before every ride. I have covered the entire service before the 600 miles actually arrives.

Just my 2cents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts