StromTrooper banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new Service Manual in today and was reading about the 600 mile service. It says for the California certified bikes (E-33) that the 600 mile service should include a throttle body sync. So that gets me wondering if I have a Cal bike or a rest of the US bike (E-03).
Of course I have a California bike.:headbang:
How many of your dealers or yourself, outside of Ca, actually performed a throttle body sync at 600 miles?? It calls for using a "SDS Tool" which appears to be a computer diagnostics program.
Thanks,
Pau

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Does your owners manual say E-33 on it? I assume that is the only place you know it's a Kali bike. I assume it has a cannister and special piping in the fuel tank.

The SDS tool is around $670 and software for another $150. Only a few dealers have it. Usually all you need is some mercury tubes and ports below the TV's to sync the TB's.

If the idle is wandering that usually means the sync is off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your owners manual say E-33 on it? I assume that is the only place you know it's a Kali bike. I assume it has a cannister and special piping in the fuel tank.

The SDS tool is around $670 and software for another $150. Only a few dealers have it. Usually all you need is some mercury tubes and ports below the TV's to sync the TB's.

If the idle is wandering that usually means the sync is off.
The only easy way I saw to tell if you have a California bike is the sticker on the left side under the tank says certified for use in California. There is also a vacuum hose routing sticker located under your seat that is only for E-33 bikes and of course the cannister itself under the seat/fairing on the left side of the rear side cover. I guess it's easier for Suzuki to make most bikes meet California compliant than not.
I guess I just don't understand why a California bike would need to check the sync and other US bikes don't. From what I have read the SDS tool "locks" the ISC valve to do a proper TB sync. I suppose I will look into getting the Healtec OBD tool.

On a postive note the Suzuki Service manual is pretty impressive.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just found out today Ive got the Calif bike, extremely pissed, why is a bike sold in Colorado have all this junk on it? Just another thing to go wrong. Does this take power or gas milage to run this pollution system? Wished the dealer informed me about this, would have waited for a normal bike. Would really love to yank all this stuff off the bike.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It works fine. I've had a California legal bike bought in Ohio since 2007. The difference is in tank venting. It has no effect on performance.

·
38,103 Posts
The 600 mile synch is for bikes sold in California only, not for all E-33 bikes. It's a CARB created rule to limit air pollution in CA.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Thanks again Graywolf. Its a wonder how you know all of this, but Im grateful that you do.
He listened when he was in School... and he is retired with lots of time on his hands... Then again, he could be Sheldon from "The Big Bang Theory"....:mrgreen:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 600 mile synch is for bikes sold in California only, not for all E-33 bikes. It's a CARB created rule to limit air pollution in CA.
So my take from this is that the stated requirement for a TB Sync at 600 miles is only required to keep the CA emissions warranty? So dealers outside of California are not doing this at 600 miles even for California bikes?
Thanks!

·
38,103 Posts
I can't tell you what every dealer will do. Ask each about what they do for 600 mile service. All too many claim to eat fire, swallow swords and charge triple digits for an oil change. A TBS is not needed at 600 miles except to assure CA emissions rules. Unlike other Stroms, a TBS on 2007 and later DL650s is only an idle air screw adjustment, not a throttle butterfly sync.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't tell you what every dealer will do. Ask each about what they do for 600 mile service. All too many claim to eat fire, swallow swords and charge triple digits for an oil change. A TBS is not needed at 600 miles except to assure CA emissions rules. Unlike other Stroms, a TBS on 2007 and later DL650s is only an idle air screw adjustment, not a throttle butterfly sync.
Thanks for the info!
I understand that dealers can be a mixed bag and I take a lot of what they say with a grain of salt. As the dealer that I bought my bike from had to be convinced that they in fact did sell me a CA bike I doubt very much that they would have even thought of doing a TB sync. I just wanted to get some validation on my opinion.
Thanks again,
Paul

·
Registered
52 Posts
This thread is timely for me. I just hit 600 miles on my '11. I've never taken a bike to a dealer for a service before and was about to just because of the throttle body sync. Am I wasting my $ in doing so? Should I just change the oil & filter and do all the noted inspections for bolt torque etc. and call it a day? BTW, I just saw that I posted in the '12 forum..........

·
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
That would do it for me.
Thanks Pat, that's what I was thinking. BTW, you're way too fast on a response, disregard the pm I sent! You had already posted here before I could hit send. :thumbup:

·
38,103 Posts
Please folks. Do not PM me on tech stuff. Keep it in the forum. PMs are for personal interchanges like setting up a root beer meet.:cheers2:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Has anyone else looked at their model~? Maybe they are all Cali models in the first few waves that came over. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Please folks. Do not PM me on tech stuff. Keep it in the forum. PMs are for personal interchanges like setting up a root beer meet.:cheers2:

Sorry about that, if you're ever in Southern CA, rootbeer's on me! :thumbup:

·
Registered
22,423 Posts
The only easy way I saw to tell if you have a California bike is the sticker on the left side under the tank says certified for use in California.
fwiw, that's the ONLY place you will be able to tell short of looking for the difference in parts

my dealer & I found out the hard way after ordering a 49state fuel tank, using the bike's VIN number

also many other states also require E33 for the past several years

AZ
CT
ME
MD
MA
NJ
NM
NY
OR
PA
RI
VT
WA
DC

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts