StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my DL1000 two weeks ago, and I already have 1025 miles on it. The Suzuki service shops (there are 2 in my area) are backed up until July 20. The soonest I can get my bike in for its 600 mile checkup is July 20. There is a BMW rally this weekend in my home town, Boise, ID. I want to join them on their non-discriminating Saturday tour, since their Friday trek is BMW only.

With 1025 miles on my Strom already, how important is the 600 mile checkup? At the rate I am going, I'll have 1500+ miles on my bike by July 20th. What do they do in the 600 mile checkup that I can do on my own? Should I "cool it" until July 20?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Change your oil and filter; adjust your chain, and check for loose bolts. Do it yourself so you know it's done right, and saves you money as well.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I do not know what you are capable pf but I would,
-Change oil
-Check coolant level
-Adjust chain
-Check and adjust throttle cables
-Check ALL fastners/bolts/nuts

Just my quick assesment, I'm sure others will have a few more.

·
Registered
112 Posts
When a bike is advertised as "Always dealer serviced", that doesn't impress me much. I've seen that cookie cutter work that most bike shops put out. Indian Larry they ain't ...

At 600 miles, I changed the oil and filter, I adjusted the chain and have nut-n-bolted the bike.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Fearless Freep said:
Change your oil and filter; adjust your chain, and check for loose bolts. Do it yourself so you know it's done right, and saves you money as well.
+1

Don't waste your time, money or precious patience trying to schedule a glorified oil change with your dealer... $25 in oil and a filter, 45 minutes of your time to adjust the chain and check your cables and nuts/bolts - you have just performed a "600 mile service" ;)

·
Registered
852 Posts
If you can read and use mult-syllabic words, you are probably a higher life form than many you would pay to work on your bike.

Now, what'cha gonna do?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. So basically, I do not really need to take the bike in for a 600 mile checkup? I think it is supposed to cost like $200. From reading your advice, it appears as though all I need to do is change the oil, change the oil filter, check my fluids and add any if needed, check my chain, tighten all bolts.

What fluids exactly should I be checking? Brake fluild, coolant? Are there more? I am used to working on bicycles, not motorcycles, and I have only changed the oil in my car. I think I can figure it out, I just need to know what to look for, and what fluids I should buy. I guess I can always ask the guys down at the shop.

Thanks.

·
Registered
852 Posts
The other thing you need to do is DOCUMENT that you have done this.

Never a bad idea to save receipts in the event of a warranty issue.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
If you're going to be checking all the bolts anyway it might be a good time to remove the ones on the rear half of the bike and put some threadlock (blue) on them, especially the rear fender.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
It really does pay to check all the bolts. I did my own oil/filter change and chain adjustment since the nearest dealer is 2 hours away. I finally got the 1000Km check done yesterday at 1700 Km and they mentioned that the front axle pinch bolt was nearly off!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about valve adjustments? When I asked the mechanic at the shop what all of the 600 mile checkup can I do on my own, he said pretty much all of it, except value adjustments. How much more work is involved there?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts