StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Really guys-I don't get it. It just seems like im shifting one extra time with this bike. There has been more than once on the freeway where I try to shift into the next gear when I'm already in 6th! I thought about changing the sprocket to lower the RPM's but then I lose power. I just don't understand why they would put a 6-speed transmission in it that seems pretty useless. I should also mention that I do a fair amount of freeway and plan on riding this bike cross-country.

·
Registered
508 Posts
take a look at the thread about 16t

·
Super Moderator
16,860 Posts
I never saw 6th on the 1000 models unless I am doing a legit 70 MPH or higher. Let it rev........this engine likes to rev.

·
Super Moderator
16,860 Posts
Have you ridden the 2014+ 1000 models?
Yup.....and I find the new gearing ratio to be perfect. Saw you use the "HD word", don't compare a race bred liquid cooled 90 degree race twin with a lumbering low revving tractor twin. :wink2:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup.....and I find the new gearing ratio to be perfect. Saw you use the "HD word", don't compare a race bred liquid cooled 90 degree race twin with a lumbering low revving tractor twin. :wink2:
Like I stated,thats what im used to. Perhaps I need to get used to a higher revving motor. I love all motorcycles (ive owned over 30 in my lifetime) and love Harley Davidsons. I still own one. I dont really understand the riff between some harley owners and metric owners and BMW owners. The one thing I will say is that they all seem to be the same person with just a different choice of brands.
The thing that I do love about my vstrom is the low cost of ownership. And actually the real reason why I purchased it is because it will take me places that my Harley-Davidson won't!

·
Super Moderator
16,860 Posts
Let it rev......best advice I can give you. Go ride a Ducati if you have not, there is a similar comparison. ;)

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,143 Posts
Put some duct tape over the tachometer.

Let me brother in law ride the DL 650 behind me on the highway. He was honestly upset that I would ride a bike for tank after tank at 5500-6000 rpm. Which is high cruise speed. He has a 2005 Harley...............

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
In the past, I have posted my opinion regarding 6th gear on my '14 Vee2. IMHO, when I shift into 6th gear, it reminds me of overdrive in my previous cars. The rpm's moderate, and the engine/transmission become quiet! I find the Vee2 powerful and comfortable on the highway. Never rode an HD, so I cannot compare. But, I am super happy with my Vee2.:smile2:

·
Super Moderator
13,054 Posts
Ironically the original DL1000 was geared too tall in many people's minds for the North American market. The gearing feels a lot shorter on my 2015 DL1000 and stock it feels just right to me. When I feel like loafing around the engine will just putt along at 2500 or so rpm in 6th with no issues, but loves running up to about 75 mph in second to the redline.

Such a wonderful flexible engine!

..Tom

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
For me 6th gear is for getting better mileage. A while ago I put my MPG indicator on real-time and drove at a constant speed of 70 MPH. I rode in 5th gear for a while and then drove the same speed in 6th. Not surprisingly, I got a few MPG higher in 6th. I can't remember the exact numbers.
I don't ride a bike to get good mileage but, if I have to put some miles on the slab, might as well ride in 6th and save some gas. Then in the twisties, I forget all about MPG and just have fun.

·
Registered
502 Posts
A few years back, I rode north out of LA on I5 a very fast freeway. I rode 150 miles in 5th gear then 150 miles in 6th expecting to see better mpg in 6th, it just wasn't there. Of course this isn't scientific, in any
case I just couldn't tell the difference.
I wonder if you held 45 mph in 3rd gear and then in 4th or 5th gear you could see a difference in the instantaneous fuel economy meter, although that reading jumps all over the place and basically I think it's worthless.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts