StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
That’s that what my neighbor said when I told him I was going to try them.
I found the under grip heaters in FLEBAY.
After looking around at various cycle shops and reading most the posts about what is the best.
The cycle shops told that the cheep ones (30 to 50$) would melt my grips.
And the price jumped from there ( 100 to 300) Depending on what controls that you wanted or grip.
Being the frugal one, I started talking to some electrical engineers about wiring and taming down the 30$ grips so they would not melt down.
With this plan in hand I went looking for the cheaper grips.
After finding the 6$ grips on Flebay and having all winter to install them. The long time in transit from china did not seem so bad.
Well there hear and they are cheap.
After testing the heaters I decided to do the install without the mods
I figured about two hours to remove the grips and guards then reinstall everything.
The only problem was reading the instructions the part that I could read was 1 2 3 and very curiously it started over 1 through 6?
After all the research the first thing was to insulate the left side of the bar so the heat sink was not so bad, I did that with some heat shrink that I had lying around. The heat pad was placed on the heat shrink with the supplied sticky back. This let the heat pad slip around the bar, a little elect. tape at each end fixed that. If I did it over I have just used elect. tape to do the whole job.
The right side was placed against the throttle tube.
Putting the grips on was a little hard but using the method I’ve used for years, using IPA they worked fine.
The switch (on/off only) came out to fall right on the mirror mounting bolt.
I wired the grips right to battery with a temporary wire. This will be changed along with switch placement when I finish my new out let dash

The test.
I left the house about 2:00 at a balmy 31* in the valley and a 1/2” of snow on the grass and in the shady spots on the road . I let the bike warm up to one bar and jumped on for the 1.5 mile ride to the freeway.
I wore my regular cold weather gear but only a pair of deer skin gloves.
My first thought was ya I can feel the warmth from the grips this is not so bad it may work.
About half way through my through my 30mi. test at 75 to 80 mph they got a little warm lifted my hands a little and they cooled off again.
About 3/4 the way through the ride the back of my hands got cold enough I did not want to let go of the bars. I could still feel the warmth from the grips but the back of my hands were cold, not as cold as some of the other rides at warmer temps without them. Remember that I only had on deer skin gloves.
Conclusion:I don’t think that I will do the mods that I planned on doing. This should do the job that I require.
The balance of the heat was close the way they were set up, that will stay the same.
The on or off switch is OK I did not need to change the temp at all.(more test needed in warmer temps).
More test will be done with cold weather gloves, I have a good pair of snow mobile gloves I bought 25years ago that work better than any of the new ones that I have tried.
They could have been a little hotter but their OK.
More to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am glad I read your post, because from the title I assumed you were just doing what everyone without heated gloves does - put your hand in your crotch to warm it up while riding!:green_lol:

·
Registered
334 Posts
"Putting the grips on was a little hard but using the method I’ve used for years, using IPA they worked fine."

You used India Pale Ale to get the grips on???

The Hand Guards will make a big difference - I'm even thinking of enlarging mine for the winter.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am glad I read your post, because from the title I assumed you were just doing what everyone without heated gloves does - put your hand in your crotch to warm it up while riding!:green_lol:
ahem ahem...

u might want to change the title of this thread from "your nuts" to "you're nuts" wink wink...

·
Super Moderator
4,645 Posts
I fitted some cheapies off eVilBay, too. They cost about $7 from Hong Kong and were here in a few days. They came with heatshrink for the bars.

They came with a switch that allows off-1/2-full power. I switch them off when they get too warm. Don't forget, we rarely go below 0 deg C (32 deg F) here - not that I ride when it's that cold.

My local bike shop sells the same thing for $50.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
You used India Pale Ale to get the grips on???
India Pale Ale is sold only as a lubricant in Utah due to strict anti-alcohol regulations.:mrgreen:

But I'm glad others have discovered the low cost virtues of those stick-on, under-grip heating elements. Why anyone would pay big bucks for the unitary style is beyond me....but then I'm not a millionaire, either.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Why not mount a set of these under the seat too
I've often wondered about heated seats. I've had cold hands, cold knees and cold feet -- but I've never had a cold ass while riding. Or at least cold enough that I noticed it among all the other distressed body parts.

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
I think the idea is, you heat up the blood, and that warms everything up, so heating up a nicely protected area (from wind etc) may help a lot overall.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya did no check that title to well did I,:confused:

You have to ride when it cold up here. A night or two ago it made it to 11* and up by where I grew up it was -43, yes -43 I think the record was -69 in 1985.
:yikes::jawdrop:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've often wondered about heated seats. I've had cold hands, cold knees and cold feet -- but I've never had a cold ass while riding. Or at least cold enough that I noticed it among all the other distressed body parts.
I got a heated seat for my Bandit shortly after I bought it. Knew I wanted an aftermarket seat since, like the Wee, most everyone complains about the stock seat. Wasn't looking for heated specifically, but found a Sargent at a good price, so I installed it. Been riding this week in low 30's F SoCal mornings temps, and I really like the heated seat. It's not like your butt gets cold, but the heat there makes the rest of your body feel warmer. Kind of like heated seats in a car; that instant warmth really makes a cold morning more tolerable.

I also have Oxford Heaterz grips and Wee handguards, which help a lot. I find I have to turn the grip heat down a little after a few minutes, as they get really hot at even 75% heat.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tried to order the conector for the stosk heated grip to day.
Eastern Beaver was 9$ t0 12$ and the shipping was 995.00 for two parts.:confused::green_lol:

·
Super Moderator
4,645 Posts
I have a sheepskin seat covers for both bikes. Stops a sweaty bum in summer - probably warmer in winter, too.

·
Super Moderator
4,645 Posts
Eastern Beaver was 9$ t0 12$ and the shipping was 995.00 for two parts.:confused::green_lol:
I have to ask the question: Why do so many people put the currency symbol (in this case, the $) after the number? :confused:

It's not as if they've never seen a price written up before.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I'm not sure why people put the dollar sign after the number. I also don't know why people say numders indescending order...drives me nuts!!! "I think I have seen that maybe 3 or 2 times" Seriously, who talks like that?!?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oy, You two need to get to gather and hash things out.
One is saying 3 to 2 wrong.
The other is saying that 9$ is wrong
Say it out loud NINE DOLLARS not dollars nine Who talks like that.
If it was $9.00 I could see your point.
No cell phone yet?
:jawdrop::green_lol:

·
Super Moderator
4,645 Posts
The other is saying that 9$ is wrong
Say it out loud NINE DOLLARS not dollars nine Who talks like that.
I
Gaaahhhh!

When was the last time you saw it displayed your way on a price tag, or in a newspaper, or TV? The currency symbol has preceded the value for hundreds of years, e.g.,

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Tried to order the conector for the stosk heated grip to day.
EB has a minimum order of $20. Apparently, the only way to set up the web site to enforce that was to make the shipping go into outer space if the limit was not reached.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks GW I could not figure that one out.
Also must apologies for my dollar sign anomaly.
On another note I had a chance to get out and test the grips again with warmer gloves.
Went for a 25 mile ride at 36*.
The grips worked rather well and kept the fingers warm. At one point they got almost to hot but never had to turn them off.
I may find that in warmer temperature that I may need to install a half temperature switch or turn them off.
Good luck with your winter projects what ever they may be. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
489 Posts
I bought the $6 ebay grips. They just looked too cheap for me and I'm pretty cheap. I didn't want to go to the effort of installing the bastards and them failing on me. I guess I am lazier than I am cheap. I landed up buying the Symtecs and installing them under my grips. They work like a charm and are still pretty cheap. Maybe I'll make a seat warmer with the ebay set.

BTW, I bough the heated grips connector from EB. It's easy to buy a few extra items to get the price up to the minimum. I got some shrink wrap and a couple parts for my electric socket. EB is great to work with . Class act.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts