StromTrooper banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(525, 525, 525,...... i went dyslexic for a moment and it wont let me change the title)
Ok, ok, dont beat me up too badly here, buuut....
I finally got a chance to diagnose the 'pop' noise that i have been hearing this week from my 07 wee, and the (d.i.d.) chain is beyond shot. Ive had the bike for about 2 months and have put about 2k miles on it. It appears to have a stock front sprocket (worn), a DID chain (stamped with 'v8'), and a 47 tooth sun star. The bike has ~25k miles on it. The rear sprocket looks good, but i intend to replace the front with another 15 tooth.
Heres the dilemma: i can get good (and dirt cheap) chains from local industrial suppliers, but i think theyre going to go by standard chain dimensions (ie, a 425 is a #40, a 530 is a #50, etc.), and havent found a standard dimension for the 525 chain. If ive read the specs correctly, the difference between a 525 and a 530 is the width between plates (5/16" vs 3/8"). I know its not ideal, but will i have any major issues by running the wider (by 1/16") 530 chain on my stock 525 sprockets?
Thanks!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,101 Posts
Fixed the title. Don't run a 530 chain on a 525 sprocket. You can get 530 sprockets if you want to go that route. A quick search found conversion kits on ebay. Ebay links are against forum rules so do your own search.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Can you get a lube-free (internally factory lubed) #50 chain at a favorable price?

Also keep in mind that the 530 (#50) chain is heavier than a 525, so there is some performance loss, more noticeable on the 650.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.