StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done changing my chain and sprockets out. I used a 530 chain.
Countershaft Sprocket: SS514-17 (SV-1000), Rear Sprocket: SS482S-42 (SV-1000) and EK 530 MVXZ Chain.
Everything went in well and nothing is binding or rubbing. Road report will follow once I get a few miles on it.
At least now my VS matches the Specs in the manual. :mrgreen: :lol:

·
Registered
351 Posts
chain

How will this change the gearing on the bike. I find first gear is a very low ratio. Even with blipping the throttle to gear down the tire sometimes locks up. I would like less of a lower ratio in the first gear.

Scooter

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After 60 miles on the new chain and sprockets, I can't tell the difference with the new ratio.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really have to stop reading all the posts of my fellow 'stromers... I'm spending too much and getting into trouble. Thanks for researching this, I just did the same upgrade, but utilized a DID 530ZVM chain. It's pretty smooth so far, I have about 1k miles on it since doing the install last saturday.

Jerry

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speedo correction?

Hey Yogi, was your speedo effected by the gearing change? Only one tooth so I wouldn't expect a large change but mine is already optimistic with the stock gearing.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really, before it was 9%, now it's an even 10% (easier to claculate while driving) Reason I know is, I calibrated against a GPS. However I like the 42 better, makes the overdrive more suitable for intracity highways.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Late reaction about influence on the speedo by different gearing! Did'nt check before, but when taking the front wheel out noticed that not everything has changed last 25 years. The speedo is still driven by the front wheel. Not mecanical but electrical meanwhile. So IMHO the speedo will not be affected by a different gearing but only by a different diameter of the front tyre.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had a look to the 1k strom at the dealer. All clear now! The 650 has "frontwheelspeedodrive" and the 1000 not. Gearing has influence on the 1k speedo and not at the 650. Minor advantage for the 650!?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
350cc less. :shock: advantage. 1000. 8) by the way my speedo checked out to be 5mph slow today. all stock bike at 70mph. i heard of a black box to change to correct this. anyone heard of it?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I just bought a new speedo face from this guy for my Wee. My speedo is now spot on with the GPS. Quality is perfect on these, you cannot tell the difference between it and stock.

http://www.raceratb.com/

·
Registered
704 Posts
It says "sold out" on the site... is that not correct?

·
Registered
22,287 Posts
I just got done changing my chain and sprockets out. I used a 530 chain.
Countershaft Sprocket: SS514-17 (SV-1000), Rear Sprocket: SS482S-42 (SV-1000) and EK 530 MVXZ Chain.
Everything went in well and nothing is binding or rubbing. Road report will follow once I get a few miles on it.
At least now my VS matches the Specs in the manual. :mrgreen: :lol:
just to clarify, it's as simple as a direct swap of parts, no spacers or anythink special required?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
just to clarify, it's as simple as a direct swap of parts, no spacers or anythink special required?
Um, you do know that's a 3 1/2 year old post you're asking about, don't you? The guy that wrote it also hasn't posted since November of last year.

·
Registered
22,287 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts