StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be switching out my chain and sprockets this winter. I bought a 525 chain and matching sprockets, but wondering if i should consider returning them and bumping up to the 530 set?

Is the 525 ok on a DL1K? Is the 530 worth the extra cost?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
525 is stock and works fine. 530 will give longer life due to the larger surface area to carry the load. Are you a rider who plans on putting a lot more miles on this bike and rides heavy & hard? The 530 might be worth the extra cost in that case.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I'm at around 31,000 - 32,000 miles on a 530 chain, and it's getting very close to time to replace. The rear sprocket wore badly (not sure why...) so it was replaced with a cheapie a few thousand miles ago.

I bought a 525 chain and sprockets, so check back, oh, in a year or so and I might have an idea of how much longer a 530 lasts than a 525.

As noted above, 525 is stock, and a quality 525 chain is plenty strong and will last a long time.

With a low quality chain, like those crappy no-names all over fleaBay, well, you're taking your chances riding five miles.

·
Premium Member
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Maybe i will just install this set and see how it goes. The way i ride it will likely last me many years anyways.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with the previous posts. I just bought a chain and sprocket combination from sv racing, 525. My stock 525 chain lasted about 23k miles. Just be sure to take care of it, and it will last you a long time.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I bought the high $ 530 chain and sprockets, Its almost like having a drive shaft, I almost never need to adjust it, Just oil and clean it,,,,,
Mike

·
Registered
83 Posts
I upgraded to the 530 w/ the 16 / 43 sprocket combo. Lost alot of freeway speed but maybe that will save some down time w/ CHP and tire wear.

Blair @ SV Racing is the best customer service guy I've ever run across!

Thanks Srormtrooper community!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts