StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 650 has become available (2005) with 50k miles on it... It appears to have been really well maintained.

Would you guys buy one with that milage?

Any issues I should be aware of?

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Don't be too concerned about mileage. What is more important is, maintenance records. Generally though, if the motorcycle looks well taken care of, most likely it has been.

Just for a point of reference for you; I purchased my DL-650 brand new in 2007. As of now, it has just under 100,000 miles on the odometer. My motorcycle has not been well taken care of. It is STILL solid as a rock!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I recently sold my 2005 with well over 50K on it & she ran great. The new owner loves the bike.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If it's been maintained well, I wouldn't hesitate. I'm at 43K with mine, and it runs better than ever. As reliable as an anvil, too.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I will agree with others that miles is not as important as other factors. Care and how it was used is more important. I need to include however that after many years (45) in the service industry that one person's idea of good service is not always the same as another's. For example, how many people ever service the steering head bearings? How about the swing arm pivot or the brake pedal bushings? How often was the brake fluid flushed or the antifreeze changed? I do these once every year or two and consider that normal..and needed maintenance. The list goes on and on.

Many of us do these things and don't give it a thought nor consider it being exceptional care...just normal stuff. That is my only problem with machines (cars, trucks, or bikes) that are several years old and have some miles on them. If I know the owner and the history of the machine (as in service records as mentioned) then I am OK. If those things are a mystery then I use caution.

I bought a BMW used a few years ago from a dealer who touted its fine service history. The previous owner had been a great customer, they had checked over the bike, etc. It was actually low miles for its age and looked great. It was a model I had been looking for and although ten year years old only had 20k miles. It was an expensive mistake. Routine maintenance had not been performed and some costly work had to be done on it. While it looked great and seemed to drive well the little things started popping up soon at buying it. Loved that bike but hated the expensive of doing work that should have never been needed had the thing been properly cared for.

So, my professional advise based on 45 years in the field: if its got some age the price should be low enough to allow for the service and repair you might need to do on a machine that age. Things like brake cylinders, new cables, cooling system service, steering head bearing service, and more. If you can do these things yourself still factor in the cost. Miles do matter if the care was not done properly. Just allow for this in the price of the bike if you can not be 100% certain these things have been done.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Would you guys buy one with that milage?
I would if the price was right, and I don't care about "well-maintained" -- what the heck does that mean on a bike that is basically bulletproof? It's not very hard to see what shape it's in.

If it's had a valve check, that's a plus, but what else is there? Brakes, tires, chain, sprockets, air filter? Those are all maintenance items anyway. You can hear if it's running well nor not.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Some bikes just seem to be able to run forever with very little attention, while other bikes seem to require far more maintenance to keep them happy and healthy.

My own experience with an older BMW is that I spent about as much time on maintenance as I did actually riding the bike. Other bikes (mainly Honda's) have been much less "demanding". So BMWs might not be the best yardstick for comparison.

I can't speak to long term reliability of the DL650 (just got mine) but I'm looking forward to finding out!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I wouldn't.

These bikes are so cheap on the used market, for another $1000 you could get one with half the miles. They are simple bikes and reliable but they are still subject to the laws of physics and bike with 50k miles is going to have a lot of tired parts on it. Especially the suspension, if it's the stock suspension it's going to be crap at 50k miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Easy check to understand what your payin for: :D

Control the maintenance records (how somebody alredy sad). And compare with the seller say and with the announce.

Look it wide. check if got scratches, touch the external parts of the bike to find it.

check for oil in the forks (not shure about the therm) if you find it it's probably u will have to change the plastic that cage the oil for the advanced suspension.

check for the retro suspension simply by sitting on it.

Start the engine. Fell if it start rapidly or need more time, if run linerarly or cough..

Slowly open the throttle (only @ warm engine) and check if the engine grow and de-grow linearly

Check the chain and the crown and if visible the 'pignone' (cannot translate) the teeth must be straight if you se a fin probably need to be changed.

If you can try the bike and just feel how it goes.

If you can bring with you someone who knows more than ya.

C'ya.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Especially the suspension, if it's the stock suspension it's going to be crap at 50k miles.
Funny, mine was crap from mile 1. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I wouldn't.

... with 50k miles is going to have a lot of tired parts on it. Especially the suspension, if it's the stock suspension it's going to be crap at 50k miles.
At 50k I'd buy it if:
1. Shock has been replaced
2. Tires, chain, sprockets are fresh
3. Steering bearing and maybe wheel bearings replaced
4. Valves have been checked.
5. Brake fluid and radiator fluid was changed.
6. The bike was for sale for $3300 or less.

However, even if only the valves have been checked, the other areas I mention are fairly routine items that could be bargaining points.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I came to look at it and it was out on a test run. He got back and they gave me the keys, but I had to give them back when I returned because the other dude had signed the papers ;)

Great bike. I hadn't been able to ride one before. I really really liked it.

they only wanted 3k.

Any idea how much a black one with ABS would go for?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Dealers up here are discounting the left-over 2011's pretty deeply. $2000 - $3000 off MSRP, depending on the model.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Well, I came to look at it and it was out on a test run. He got back and they gave me the keys, but I had to give them back when I returned because the other dude had signed the papers ;)

they only wanted 3k.

There will be others. With ABS maybe 500 more than any non ABS bike. But do consider a Fly N' Ride if the right deal presents itself. I did 2 yrs ago with great results.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
There will be others. With ABS maybe 500 more than any non ABS bike. But do consider a Fly N' Ride if the right deal presents itself. I did 2 yrs ago with great results.
I did that also. I got a great deal a few years ago in N. AZ and the PO met me at the LV airport with the bike. It saved me a lot, and I got a nice treat in a rainy winter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm kinda with the others on this one. One of the things I look at when looking at used bikes is the mileage. Low mileage used bikes can be had in various ages for lower prices. I have fair mechanical abilities and can freshen fluids and do a whole bunch of work (not all, I don't want to sound cockey) to bring an almost perfect bike up to snuff if it has just been sitting.

The part I worry about when looking at high mileage bikes are two fold. First, if the maintainence hasn't been done, then certain parts of it will require more work than on a fresher bike. This can include wheel bearings. sprockets and chains, cables, and of course tires and wheels.

The second part and even more important is the purchase price vs. the miles. So you get a high mileage bike for $3000.00 and you like it and put a crap load of miles on it it will soon have 90,000 miles on it and no one will want it at all. At any price.

I have had good luck spending a little more and when you average it out, You can buy a much nicer bike with more farkles on it for more money and sell it later for a fair price and the money you spent is actually less than the total financial loss on the high mileage one.

This is just my opinion and your mileage may vary!

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I wouldn't.

These bikes are so cheap on the used market, for another $1000 you could get one with half the miles.
The OP did not mention what the asking price is for the bike he is looking at purchasing. What number is the $1000 being added to?

In the New England states, there are not a heck of a lot of these motorcycles hanging around. They are too good to sell. Owners hang on to them.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts

they only wanted 3k.

I feel that $3,000 was too much. Keep looking, you may find a better deal.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts