StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says: Ride 5000 miles through 21 states in 14 days for 1000 dollars or less.

At least - that's my semi-plan.

Lorton, VA to MD-5 S/US-301 S/Blue Star Memorial Hwy/Crain Hwy - Google Maps (map is general and not at all accurate)

Leave Virginia and start my journey on the BRP. Spend an extra day playing in the mountains. Then turn west by northwest to the greatest motorcycle rally known to man. Yep - Sturgis. Except, I'll go in July. Beat the crowds don't ya know. Spend an extra day turing the badlands. Then further north and east to skirt the Canadian border for a while. Turn south at the UP of MI and then hang a hard left back home with a stop in Ohio at the AMA museum, RnR hall of fame, and football hall of fame.

Goals
1) ride
2) stay mostly dry

Rules
1) Have fun.

Things I need/need to do
1) New helmet (150.00)
2) camelback (40.00)
3) Valve/TBS job (ouch)
4) Alaska sheepskin pad (70.00)

Might change between now and July. Might not.

Anything I shouldn't miss along the way? Largest ball of twine or the like?

·
Registered
185 Posts
As the title says: Ride 5000 miles through 21 states in 14 days for 1000 dollars or less.

At least - that's my semi-plan.

Lorton, VA to MD-5 S/US-301 S/Blue Star Memorial Hwy/Crain Hwy - Google Maps (map is general and not at all accurate)

Leave Virginia and start my journey on the BRP. Spend an extra day playing in the mountains. Then turn west by northwest to the greatest motorcycle rally known to man. Yep - Sturgis. Except, I'll go in July. Beat the crowds don't ya know. Spend an extra day turing the badlands. Then further north and east to skirt the Canadian border for a while. Turn south at the UP of MI and then hang a hard left back home with a stop in Ohio at the AMA museum, RnR hall of fame, and football hall of fame.

Goals
1) ride
2) stay mostly dry

Rules
1) Have fun.

Things I need/need to do
1) New helmet (150.00)
2) camelback (40.00)
3) Valve/TBS job (ouch)
4) Alaska sheepskin pad (70.00)

Might change between now and July. Might not.

Anything I shouldn't miss along the way? Largest ball of twine or the like?
Although I tend to ride in the opposite direction of gatherings like Sturgis, the rest of your plan looks to be awesome. Sure to be filled with adventure. Have a great time!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Scenic 7 in Kansas and the Loess Hills parkway in Nebraska are worth a look.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Looks like a plan. It's good that you're avoiding the western 1/3 of ND. The oil drilling out there has things going crazy -- everything costs much more than it should, motels/campgrounds are all full and general crime has gotten worse.

Aerostitch is in Duluth. I stop there everytime I'm in the area -- good equipment for cycle touring. The UP of MI is very nice, one of my favorite places to visit. Lots of nice camping and pleasant riding. Even the eastern side of lower MI is nice. Good scenery and camping locations.

Have fun.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
Take a Pass Port and go into Canada and do some of the Rockies. Never been there myself but the pictures are tantalizing. I can't image the American Hwy2 would be as interesting as Canadian Hwy1.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Nice ride! Have fun.

I road part of that route this summer and visited family in Custer, Sturgis, Mobridge, and Glenham SD. I had a great time.

If you are look for a place to stay in Custer take a look at the Valley Motel. My aunt owns it and when we got caught with the Sturgis crowd out there last year (forgot all about Sturgis when we set up our trip) she let us set up our tents in the backyard. There were no open hotels (for reasonable $) or campsites when we got to Custer.

A word of warning about the bike rally. A lot of those folks on those nice bikes don't ride that well. Some of them trailer out there and then maybe ride 50 miles during the whole rally. Probably the most riding they do in the year. So be carefull when you are out there and watch the bikes along with the cars and maybe more so the bikes. My brother almost got nailed by a guy coming around a blind corner. He was riding to fast and went wide and ended up in my brother's lane who was heading the opposite way. He damn near hit my brother and passed me to close for my comfort. This was heading from Custer to Keystone - lots of bikes on that route.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Beartooth is an absolute must!. Incredible.

I am of the "avoid Sturgis during the crowds like a plague" camp.

So crowded and as Jarvis alluded to earlier ... a huge number of very (to be diplomatic) inexperienced and therefore dangerous riders. Additionally there is a huge amount of drinking and that just adds to my aversion to Sturgis during the rally. On the other hand if you don't go during the Rally then 1/2 the town is closed.

Sort of a catch 22 if you are looking to have the "Sturgis Experience".

However, the area is breathtakingly beautiful out there. Custer definitely worth visiting. South Dakota is simply beautiful.

Worth going to.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The OP is going to Sturgis in July, NOT during the rally which is in August so he will not be needing any advice on this point.

It sounds like a great trip! I assume you're OK with the seat. I'd do a few long test rides with the sheep skin to see if this will cut it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just looking at your map, and everything looks pretty sweet. I did a trip from Cali out to Tysons Corner July 2010. I intended to hit many of the same spots you do. It ended up being a MISERABLE failure in almost every aspect. But, don't be discouraged, because here are my pointers that would have changed the world... or at least my world and all the problems I encountered. Probably simple to you, me and everybody else, but complacency kills, and almost got me!

SAFETY FIRST:
Prior to departing, do your own maintenance, and tighten everything down yourself. If fluid can leak out of it, clamp it down. If you're buying new tires, break them in accordingly prior to leaving and practice riding WITH the weight you'll be traveling with.

I was in a time crunch, and ended up kicking myself in the D!$K because I didn't go over everything myself. I trusted a reputable shop... I'm an idiot for doing so! The oil drain plug fell out, and F'ed up my engine pretty bad. Also, I put on new Shinko 705's and HATED them with every ounce of passion in my body. Rode with them from OC to Vegas and changed them in Vegas to Anakee 2's. EXPENSIVE fixes that could have been avoided if I had just planned a little better and been less complacent!

ALMOST AS IMPORTANT, BE REALISTIC WITH TIME:
Are you new to long trips?
The reason I ask is because your day 1 is LONG, and some of your other days are RIDICULOUS! Maybe I'm just reading the map wrong, thinking that your alphabetic points are where you'll be stopping. If I am reading it wrong, which I probably am, then still take my advice and be realistic with the travel time. Anything Google Maps says, you might want to add 1-3 hours depending on distance. Believe me, everything takes longer on 2 wheels. You'll take longer stops than you would in a car to rest your ass, your back, your neck, your wrists, or maybe just to have a smoke, a coke and a smile while reflecting on the last couple hundred miles since last fill up. Those minutes tick quickly, then before you know it, you're behind schedule. ALSO, weather in many of those states is VERY erratic over the summer. Rain is HEAVY, and wind is STRONG! Expect to see delays for weather. I rode thru some, but some of the rest was just too nasty. In one case, it was 3 hours. I was accompanied by about a dozen other riders, all eager to get moving. Traffic isn't only around the beltway, it exists everywhere. You said you're tacking on a couple extra days to the right, in order to enjoy some sites for more than just one stopped day... Well, you might want to add a couple more days for unexpected anything's that may, and likely WILL, arise.

When I did my trip, I wanted to mix both the experience of the ride along with time to visit and see sites. Long days on the road = lots of sleep and no site seeing. IMO, that was a wasted day because all I got to do was ride. This is a beautiful country! Each state has it's own character and it's own beauty. Enjoy it the way you plan to enjoy it... Be realistic with time!

Some gear to think about:
1. light weight helmet. I went with carbon fiber Joe Rocket, and my neck NEVER ached. Got it on newenough.com for about $110 or so. I LOVE that helmet.
2. I wore mesh gear. (Jacket and gloves) Made me feel safe and it was cool, especially in those HOT states!
3. ***Silky type nylon underwear or running sorts under your pants and underarmor type shirts. A sweaty ass is worse in my opinion than a sore back, neck, or wrist! you're going to be sweating A LOT! The shirts breathe, wick sweat, and dry quickly if you do hit rain. I wear nothing else when I ride any more than a few hours.
4. Camelbak is right on! I got a piece of advice from a member a couple years ago, saying fill it with ice every morning as you saddle up. it will melt, but be cool for at least a few hours. My 3 liter camelbak was a fine piece of gear
5. Good sunglasses that don't pinch under your helmet, don't shoot air into the corners of your eyes, and don't dig in after 6, 8 or 12 hours of wear.
6. Magnetic tank bag, if you don't have one

If you make it out to the Black Hills and the Bad Lands, I'll be jealous as hell! that was the one of the many intended parts of the trip I missed out on, and that I really wish I had seen.

Enjoy! Sounds like something I wish I could tag along with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Go Further West Fella

Hey Happy Wanderer: Just my two cents here. Originally from Philly, but living in Colorado for about 17 years now. I have 40,000 miles on my DL650 all of which I put on here in the Rocky Mountains. If I were advising you, I would squeeze that map down so that you can extend it into a longer shape if you are limited to the mileage and 14 days. Try to get further west because it will be the best part of the trip (again, my two cents). Anywhere in Wyoming or Montana will knock your socks off. Big Horn range, Wind River & Teton ranges. I would target Jackson Hole and Yellowstone as your turn around destination. If you can get at least two days in that area alone, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
22,424 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Camping?

Do you plan to camp? Otherwise it would be most challenging to spend 14 days on the road for $1,000. Would be interested in knowing how you plan to budget this; maybe some ideas I could use.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
$1000 :confused:

yer gonna be spending $400-$450 just in gas

that leaves a little over $500 for eats & lodging for 2 weeks, I'm sure you can be frugal, just wouldn't seem like much of a vacation to me
That's exactly what I thought?

Even if you eat cheap that would be an extra $200-$250.

that leaves $300 for lodging. Not sure, but that doesn't sound like enough to me. Not for 14 days.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
I did a 15 day 5300 miler 2 summers ago. Kept it very close to $1000. Camped every night but 3($50 per, $150 total for a cabin at Montrose Gathering.). Brought my Jetboil and cooked 75% of my meals. It can be done, but only if you enjoy the camping life style.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
nvr2old

If I'm correct nvr2old does have some experience and may also have received the plaque at the Montrose gathering for the longest distance to get there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can check this out "couchsurfing". I have never tried using it but I know of a lot of people that have. Keep me posted if and when you will be around Omaha
Sounds fun

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Yes to maintain sanity I would budget every 3rd day in a motel and believe me if your facing 30 hours of rain the fun would be over if you couldn't get indoors and get dry

1 - 20 of 29 Posts