StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my Wee from a friend my age who also owns a Goldwing and knew he didn't abuse the bike, although it was a bit neglected over the last few years he owned it. I've owned it now for about 14 months and 10,000 miles. About 500 miles ago, I installed an Akrapovic slip-on, new chain/sprockets and a K&N air filter. I also have a Power Commander III that is not yet installed(ordered it with the slip-on). My experience with the Akrapovic is beyond my expectations of being an upgrade. My location is just slightly above sea level(about 200') so I get the most performance from my Wee's engine....and it is FUN FAST!! And that exhaust note!!!....absolutely fabulous(baffle removed). Even with the baffle removed, the sound is very throaty(bass) without being annoyingly harsh or raspy like those Harley's with drag pipes. An unexpected asset has been the around-town slow speed engine tractability as I try to avoid the surging issues that seem to plague oversquare 90 degree V-twins whether FI or carb'd. When I installed this exhaust, I also replaced the chain/sprockets and chain carrier dampers. My Wee went from a clapped out bike to a smooth and new-feeling motorcycle.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Is it ok if u run a slip on without remaping? Is the power commander a must when u do this mod?
Good question. I've been running my bike without the PCIII, yet ....and it runs FABULOUS!!!!! for 2 weeks now. I'll report back once I install the PCIII with the appropriate MAP. I'll tell you this, from my experience, you can add the Akraprovic slip-on without doing a remap and enjoy a modest boost in performance. This boost is from just from above idle up to about 7800 rpm....and that is without throttle hesitation.

·
Registered
576 Posts
And how does this mod, which sounds really nice, affect mpg?
g

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
And how does this mod, which sounds really nice, affect mpg?
g
before installing the PC I got a 2-3 mpg increase. I've had the power commander on for a few months and I'm still playing with all the maps including the akrapovic and I'm averaging mid to upper 40's. On a recent trip to MN and back I got a low of 34 mpg and a high of 42 with the Akra map. That was with a moderate load and going 80 on the interstate half the distance(low) with the other half bombing the back roads(high). She ran great the whole time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
before installing the PC I got a 2-3 mpg increase. I've had the power commander on for a few months and I'm still playing with all the maps including the akrapovic and I'm averaging mid to upper 40's. On a recent trip to MN and back I got a low of 34 mpg and a high of 42 with the Akra map. That was with a moderate load and going 80 on the interstate half the distance(low) with the other half bombing the back roads(high). She ran great the whole time.
I routinely get 55+ mpg. So did your mileage go down after installing the Akra or have you alwaysgotten this poor of gas mileage?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm averaging 57ish, bone stock '12 Adventure. Range is very important to me. Just want to worry about fuel as little as possible.

·
Registered
122 Posts
ak/pcv

My bike is K9 Wee with about 5k with my akrapovic and pcv installed at 15K. I definitely recommend the pc with a new exhaust. I have since put on a k&n air filter. each change benefits from remapping.

The sound is nice, not as loud as I was concerned it would be, either to me or fellow riders who don't like exhaust noises. Have not taken the baffle out

regarding fuel mileage, it seems to be 1-2 mpg drop WHEN I ride like I used to!!!! but mostly I ride more playfully (aggressively) as I enjoy a little more power, spunk and character with the set up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My bike is K9 Wee with about 5k with my akrapovic and pcv installed at 15K. I definitely recommend the pc with a new exhaust. I have since put on a k&n air filter. each change benefits from remapping.

The sound is nice, not as loud as I was concerned it would be, either to me or fellow riders who don't like exhaust noises. Have not taken the baffle out

regarding fuel mileage, it seems to be 1-2 mpg drop WHEN I ride like I used to!!!! but mostly I ride more playfully (aggressively) as I enjoy a little more power, spunk and character with the set up.
Which map are you running with your setup above?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Currently I am running "15" all the way down, if that makes sense. I haven't changed for a long time. I get a very rare pop on decel which I am told indicates still a little rich, but so rare that I haven't bothered to change again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
the dead horse

I am sure this mileage issue has been discussed ad nauseum, but I would like to ride with the guys claiming 55 mpg. I fill up my 09 650 strom about every 200 miles, and yes, there is maybe a half gallon in the tank, but that is still only about 42 - 44 mpg. I don't feel that my riding style is extremely aggressive, but I do know that most of my riding is in the 5 to 6 thousand rpm range. In fact, I routinely went farther (needed less gas at fill - up) than a fellow stromtrooper (same bike) during a recent trip thru Michigan. So what's the deal.....are those plus 50 mpg ers full of S%&t?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still haven't installed the PCIII yet as I am going to do the full cam upgrade at the same time. With just the Akrapovic slip-on and K&N filter, I get that backfire on decel. Personally, I find it kinda kewl as it sounds like a well muffled "whoomp' sound.

·
Registered
122 Posts
So what's the deal.....are those plus 50 mpg ers full of S%&t?

I can't comment on others.....the most accurate way I know to measure is set the ODO to zero at fill up to a visual point at the top of the tank, ride, and then fill up with bike at same lean angle (or center stand), divide # of miles by gallons = _______mpg. I don't know how to calculate Imp. gallons and I am not full of S%&t unless you ask my wife!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
So what's the deal.....are those plus 50 mpg ers full of S%&t?

I can't comment on others.....the most accurate way I know to measure is set the ODO to zero at fill up to a visual point at the top of the tank, ride, and then fill up with bike at same lean angle (or center stand), divide # of miles by gallons = _______mpg. I don't know how to calculate Imp. gallons and I am not full of S%&t unless you ask my wife!
I'm sure we're not buying in Imperial gallons. My wife and I have '12 Glees ridden about 5000 miles this year and filled up in Illinois only. So 2 bikes, 4802 miles and 152.3 gallons ... 63.1 mpg. Granted we're riding mostly county roads and state highways at 55-60 mph, but even when we've ridden longer/faster days the mileage only drops by 2-3 mpg on those tanks. Colder weather on the other hand takes about 5 mpg off that average.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I am sure this mileage issue has been discussed ad nauseum, but I would like to ride with the guys claiming 55 mpg. I fill up my 09 650 strom about every 200 miles, and yes, there is maybe a half gallon in the tank, but that is still only about 42 - 44 mpg. I don't feel that my riding style is extremely aggressive, but I do know that most of my riding is in the 5 to 6 thousand rpm range. In fact, I routinely went farther (needed less gas at fill - up) than a fellow stromtrooper (same bike) during a recent trip thru Michigan. So what's the deal.....are those plus 50 mpg ers full of S%&t?

The 2012 will get consistent 50+. I get 50.1-50.3 on virtually every tank, and I check every tank. If I take it easy, I can get 55 or so. I do not run a hundred plus miles at a steady 65 mph. My country rides range from 35 to 70 mph.
My concern is the above 60 figures. Those riders would be shocked to know they can rev above 4000 rpm. If you short shift and stay below 4500 you will get great mpg. If you hold a steady, constant and boring speed of 65 or below you can get good mpg.
I will never believe that an "agressive" or "semi-agressive" rider will get to 60 mpg. I guess to some it sounds good to make the claim.
If I want to claim high mpg, all I have to do is believe the computer readout which tells me 64 mpg since new. That is absolutely incorrect.
Real world, real riding will get you steady 50-55 on a 2012. Grandma riding will get you more, as will constant speed on flat ground for many miles at a time.
If the desire for high mpg numbers is why you ride a Wee, I fell sorry for you.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've got a 12mpg Cadillac... so really anything close to 50mpg and I'm a happy camper. :hurray: I had one 60+mpg tank, but it was at low rpm and speed for 240 miles. So I emptied the one gallon gas can I brought along and two days later sweated bullets when the gas indicator came on with 80 miles to my destination. I blame the poor gas planning on the very beautiful Alaska distracting me.

On topic, that's cool. Shoot for all the bucks spent on farkles, why not go for some more oomph if you've got the money?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Simplest way to keep track of your mpg.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So, this was a thread about a review of the Akropovic after 500 miles. What I had hoped to see was a reasonable answer to the question of gas mileage delta (change).

Instead we get all sorts of lip flapping about how you can't get that mileage, or you could if you ride 65 of less and be boring, etc.

By the definition proposed in the thread, I do short shift, but why would I wind up to 6 or 7k when I have all the power and torque I need already at 4-5k?

I've got a 2012 650 always ridden with hard side cases and a big wind shield. I mostly ride for commuting. My average mileage over the 7000+ miles on the bike is in the low 50s. Recently its been increasing and my mileage per tank is around 55 to 57. There are no mods at this time. Lots of city on my commute, only a little freeway.

I fill up with premium fuel and always fill the bike to the same point visually, then calculate mileage based on miles traveled since last fill up versus gallons added.

I am considering an exhaust, air filter, and probably power commander upgrade, but don't want to unless I'm going to be able to get better mileage out of it.

I am boring, if, by obeying the speed limits, one is boring.

Happy 4th of July

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread. This is the exhaust I've been saving up for. I really want it for the sound/performance and looks (plus the 12 pound weight savings is cool too).

Did you get the carbon fiber version or the titanium version? That is the one thing I can't decide on.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts