StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Led a small group out today. On a twisty bit of road, the guy behind me on a BMW 1000 RR hit a bit of gravel on a right hand turn. He panicked, stood the bike up, road into the grass and then into a 7ft deep ditch. Pitched up over the bars and came down hard breaking his shoulder blade. His brand new BMW looked like it would be totaled. Watches it all in my rear view.

Be careful. He was an experienced sport bike rider. It was his first accident. And just that morning he had mentioned that he'd never been down. Just takes 1 second of bad judgement.

Sent from my iPod touch using MO Free

·
Registered
40 Posts
And just that morning he had mentioned that he'd never been down.
Cross that one off the list of things to do. Good things and bad happen pretty fast on a bike with nearly 200 HP

·
Registered
815 Posts
It's easy to do. I know, I did similar in June. No more riding for me this summer. Hope he heals quickly.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I crashed my Concours on an off ramp on the 19th. Spent 3 days in trauma wing drugged up with cracked left side ribs and a dislocated right wrist & broken lower right arm. Glad I had full gear on, would have had lots of road rash, even though I landed on the grass median.
My last get off, was 1990, so it shows ta go ya, it can take awhile, but ya never know when.
I was hoping to make the N/E Strom campout, but that ain't in the cards now.
Stay safe Stromtroopers.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
//

Be careful. He was an experienced sport bike rider. It was his first accident. And just that morning he had mentioned that he'd never been down. Just takes 1 second of bad judgement. /
In 2007 I was riding up the highway, thinking how I'd been riding for 27 years without an accident.

...That was true for 15 more minutes.....

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
only ride as fast as you can see, react and stop ( on the road) - this generally means riding slower than what the bike or you are capable of.

But yes, it's hard to be disciplined about it.We all been there. things are great when everything works together but things go wrong even faster.

Be thankful that its just a few broken bones and will heal - things could have got a lot worse

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Looks like another Beemer boy gone strom. At least his alive and perhaps a bit wiser. I typically see more rider error leading to crashes when riding with groups, the good news is many are still around to talk about it. He'll feel better the sooner he get his face in the wind.

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
He was an experienced sport bike rider.
My friend with the 1000R went down on the first turn on the Crest and really buggerd his bike. It got a replacement frame. He had the frame sliders and the energy was transferred to the frame and cost the INS big time. He was out with a sore ankle for a few weeks.
I try to not ride at the pace of those I follow and do my own thing!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Exactly - our group motto is "Ride YOUR ride". Folks can wait for me at the turn off or I'll wait for them.

Glad it wasn't worse. We've all been there or close.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
It can happen fast at any speed. In 2011, I was on the inside of a posted 55 MPH sweeper, leaned over and trying not to notice the large 5th wheel coming towards me on the outside. As I became aware my line was not good, I leaned it over a bit more. Whe I did, both tires momentarily surfed on leftover chipseal stone and then regained traction. I was lucky in that I didn't have time to panic; it happened without warning and ended just as quickly. I swear the driver knew though. Or maybe I just hoped he did and was going to avoid me. I am pretty sure that if I saw the gravel in advance, I might have freaked in the same circumstances.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I am always happy that most of my go fast training was in the dirt

It has served me well over the years

Sorry Supatramp are you junk this year?, Why do you look like Kiesien Paul Grugman (SP)

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
I am always happy that most of my go fast training was in the dirt
It has served me well over the years
Sorry Supatramp are you junk this year?, Why do you look like Kiesien Paul Grugman (SP)
We bearded ol' grayhaired dudes all look alike :)
I'm done at least a few months, go to the Dr. on Wed, to see how the arm bones are healing.
I gotta get a copy of the Xray, before he reset it, it was scary.
Have a blast at the campout.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
only ride as fast as you can see, react and stop ( on the road) - this generally means riding slower than what the bike or you are capable of.
That's the truth, there. If you continually go around pushing your, or your bike's limits, you almost certainly will go down eventually. I constantly have to remind myself of that. Unlike racetracks, if you go down at speed in a corner on the road you will continue in a straight line, quite possibly into something very nasty and solid, like a guardrail, rocks, trees, an oncoming car, etc. Any the best gear in the world probably isn't going to save you from that.

Which isn't to say that I don't still do it sometimes, or that I haven't done something like in the OP's story in the past. I was lucky to walk (and ride) away from those incidents.

·
Registered
22,265 Posts
. He panicked, stood the bike up, road into the grass and then into a 7ft deep ditch. Pitched up over the bars and came down hard breaking his shoulder blade
ouch!

panic always seems to be the devisive word, I can think of many times, if I had been paying closer attention, I would have panic braked, lost control and got hurt, instead I think WTF did I just run over, how could I be so lucky

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
While you can get in a jam while riding the straight sections, it's the curves that'll get'cha. Sounds like maybe this guy wasn't used to the Beemer yet and wasn't familiar enough with it. It's not a sportbike.

When doing the twisties I try to adhere to a little mantra I came up with. " Take a curve as fast as I can well, rather than as well as I can fast."

I hope he recovers quickly and gets back on the road. And yup, that stuff can happen so fast that you lie there wondering how the heck that happened.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Sounds like maybe this guy wasn't used to the Beemer yet and wasn't familiar enough with it. It's not a sportbike.
Actually, by "1000RR" I assume he meant the S1000RR, which is a sportbike - the only one BMW makes (well, do they still make the R1100/1150/1200S? I suppose that could be considered a sport bike). It's the fastest of the current crop of liter-class race replicas, and loaded with traction control and stuff, but none of that stuff can prevent rider error, i.e. standing it up and riding it off the road.

·
Registered
485 Posts
BTDT, sort of

I was in a similar situation last year except that it was a downhill, decreasing radius turn rather than loose gravel that got me, and the ditch I ended up in was only about a foot deep, rather than seven feet. As a result, I rode away a little shaken, but with no damage to me or the bike. Glad to hear your friend has lived to tell the tale, and hope he heals quickly! :thumbup:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Good reminder that we all need to be careful out there. Hope he heals up quick! (I posted a reply on ADV but figure I'd chime in here too.)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts