StromTrooper banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Nothing in the owner's manual about it? If not the service manual wiring diagram will tell.

I'd say a cell phone charging USB port.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
True, but I'm saving that plug for the OEM heated grips that I have on order.
I'd be really careful with the wiring, it uses the CANBUS wiring like BMW and it can make things difficult. I'd seriously consider paying the dealer to do the wiring, that way if they break something it's on them. Maybe do some research into what the BMW guys do to be safe? I put in bold the part below that might be what you have found :)

CAN (Controller Area Network) Technology

• Key to the operation of S.I.R.S., the V-STROM 1050XT employs an interconnected information network instead of a conventional wiring harness.

• Because it requires fewer wires, this CAN-wiring lets the vehicle be lighter and simpler, and provides a way for the advanced components – such as the cruise control – on the motorcycle to have faster data transmission with the ECM.

• The CAN-wiring also provides a single location for diagnosing any errors that may occur throughout the entire network.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Nothing in the owner's manual about it? If not the service manual wiring diagram will tell.

I'd say a cell phone charging USB port.
Nothing in the owner's manual, but I have a service manual on the way. Being that it is 5 volts I agree with you that it's for another USB port if I choose to add one.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'd be really careful with the wiring, it uses the CANBUS wiring like BMW and it can make things difficult. I'd seriously consider paying the dealer to do the wiring, that way if they break something it's on them. Maybe do some research into what the BMW guys do to be safe? I put in bold the part below that might be what you have found :)

CAN (Controller Area Network) Technology

• Key to the operation of S.I.R.S., the V-STROM 1050XT employs an interconnected information network instead of a conventional wiring harness.

• Because it requires fewer wires, this CAN-wiring lets the vehicle be lighter and simpler, and provides a way for the advanced components – such as the cruise control – on the motorcycle to have faster data transmission with the ECM.

• The CAN-wiring also provides a single location for diagnosing any errors that may occur throughout the entire network.
The only wiring I'm going to do is connect my OEM heated grips (when they arrive), and install an Eastern Beaver PC-8. My dealer emailed a pic from his service manual that shows the plug near the radiator is indeed meant for heated grips or OEM auxilliary lights. As for my other accessories - they will connect to the PC-8, so I won't be messing with the wiring.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts