StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
I'm a long time rider and currently ride cruiser bikes.
The Bandit 1250 & the 1000 V Strom are on my radar.
BOTH bikes are too tall for my 27" inseam.
I know you can lower them but I want to have a comfortable ride & retain the center stand.
Maintenance is a concern so I am wondering if the V Strom is easier to valve adjust,oil change,etc.
Looking around,the Strom seems to be cheaper used than the Bandit.
The Bandit seems to be faster and has way more farkles for the motor.
The Strom seems to have more touring gear available and has a larger gas tank.
On my other bikes I have gone darkside but they are big.heavy,long cruisers.
I don't know if DS is cool on a Strom.
I see there is much love for the Wee Strom BUT I like to have BIG power & use it.
My current bikes get around 40 mpg at 60 - 70 mph.
I believe that the 1000 Strom is about the same.
When was the last redesign of the 1000 ?
Idea's and/or insight ?

JJ

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
It's to tall for you IMO

You can lower it to a maximum of 1.25"

the 1000cc valve adjust isn't to bad.

oil changes are as easy as you could be with no fairings in the way.

A few people have done darkside with no issues.

My 2014 V-strom 1000 got 48mpg when I filled it up today, that was taking it pretty easy though just commuting to work.

Last redesign was in 2014, the 2015 is the same bike.

I don't think it's the right bike for most people with a 27" inseam.

If you are dead set on it though, lowering links, dropping forks, aftermarket low seat, etc MIGHT make it half decent.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
too tall

I've short 29" legs and just get by.
My Vee isn't lowered and I don't have a skid plate but probably should; my exhaust pipe and engine case and oil plug would prove it. INMO if you lower it then the bike will get bashed too often so I don't recommend lowering.

·
Registered
14,819 Posts
I've got 29" inseam and even with an Air Hawk on the seat, it's fine. That's a regular height I think. The shock has the links with 5 1/2 length from center to center.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lower

I've short 29" legs and just get by.
My Vee isn't lowered and I don't have a skid plate but probably should; my exhaust pipe and engine case and oil plug would prove it. INMO if you lower it then the bike will get bashed too often so I don't recommend lowering.
I'll NEVER take it off road.
If I lowered it would I still have the full suspension travel,nice ride ?
What would be the first thing to scrape in the corners ?
My big cruisers scrape easily so maybe a lowered Strom would not scrape easily ?

JJ

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Other Stuff

Which bike has more engine braking,Bandit or Strom ?
They're both very quiet,I'm sure,but which one has the more soul stirring sound ?

JJ

·
Administrator
16,788 Posts
I'll NEVER take it off road.
If I lowered it would I still have the full suspension travel,nice ride ?
What would be the first thing to scrape in the corners ?
My big cruisers scrape easily so maybe a lowered Strom would not scrape easily ?

JJ
It is not about scraping, it is about clearance for the rear tire not rubbing the fender well/seat pan. And yes when you lower it messes up the side stand height and the center stand height. Lowering a V-Strom is like raising a sport bike, just not designed or intended for such. You are too short for a V-Strom IMHO, consider getting the Bandit. I had a 2003 Bandit 1200 and they are great machines, tons of torque and a very smooth engine.

·
Registered
14,819 Posts
"which one has the more soul stirring sound ?"

Not to be rude but with ear plugs I can't really hear the exhaust. I use the plugs to help diminish long term hearing loss. All the bikes sound the same when you are deaf.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stinks

Well that stinks that all the cool adventure bikes are only made for tall people.
I like to have an adventure now & then.
They make it so that the only bikes that fit me are cruisers. :thumbdown:
Sorry to hear this. :fineprint:

JJ

·
Registered
22,234 Posts
Well that stinks that all the cool adventure bikes are only made for tall people.

JJ
more ground clearance requires that the bike must be taller

the pic I posted is an exaggeration of what happens, I lowered mine 3/4 inch but have since raised it back up, the lowering was compounded by my 300lb lard ass load solo (and as much as 600lbs 2up with cargo), most of the damage was done in the winter when I was running studded knobbies

I would suggest however checking out the Honda NX700 and CB500X, their seat heights are an inch or 2 lower than the V-strom, Versus or Tenere

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts

JJ

Well all the sport bikes are made for short people (look how short most racers are). after getting on a sport bike I feel like i've folded my legs up like paperclips. The person that owned my bike before the guy before me lowered it, wore a hole like pictured above.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HoleShot

:argue: Well,after all the talk. :argue:
:iagree: I guess a Strom :frown: is not in my future. :iagree:
:seeya: It's a great bike,as you already know,and I hate to pass it by :seeya:
but it's too darn big. :seeya:
I think that I can make a Bandit work for me. :bom_pimp2:
You folks are darn lucky to be able to ride this fine machine. :party:
Stay happy :mod2_scooter: & don't get in trouble.
Thanks for all the input CruisnGrrl,randyo,notacop,Big B,568v8.

JJ

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
bikes that fit

I'm not a particularly a big guy, my 29" legs and I just get by ok on My Vee.
But I don't fit well on most sport bikes, they all seem too short and small.

I got a chance to ride a proper fitting sport bike at the Romeny Cycles demo day and absolutely loved it. It's an unbelievable cornering machine !!! I loved it. Just flop it into the corner and feel it go around all by itself. WOW. But the Hayabusa isn't really setup to hold my top case and huge sidecases and I couldn't possibly afford the speeding tickets or the insurance here in Canada. And there is no doubt that I'd probably lose my license before I could ever finish any long distance adventure.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Im 6'1, and on my soon to be, wee, it's a little snug on my jewels, when I am at a standstill. not sure how shorter people do it...lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's a shame they build all the adventure type bikes just for tall people.
I don't want to ALWAYS have to ride a cruiser.

JJ

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey Jammin John, did I miss that you have taken one for a test ride? I am 5'7" and have no problem. Yeah, In some places I'm on my tippy toes, but that's what we do when we are vertically challenged. What percentage of riding do we have our feet down? Scoot yer ass over when you have to and put your foot down. I think it's too great of a bike just to say "oh well"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No,I haven't taken one out. Yes,I think it's a great bike.
I like it better than the Bandit BUT the Bandit is lower & cheaper & has as many or more farkles available.
Hey,I'm not totally ruling it out.
Anyways,I have to repair my Vulcan & sell it before I'll have any $$$$$$$.
My LAST Kawasaki.

JJ

·
Administrator
16,788 Posts
No,I haven't taken one out. Yes,I think it's a great bike.
I like it better than the Bandit BUT the Bandit is lower &cheaper & has as many or more farkles available.
Hey,I'm not totally ruling it out.
Anyways,I have to repair my Vulcan & sell it before I'll have any $$$$$$$.
My LAST Kawasaki.

JJ

Nope.......Bandit farkles cannot even come close. There is no doubt that you could ride a V-Strom with a few mods, seems like the bike you really want......so go for it!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts