StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Any test that doesn't do either a side-by-side comparison or before and after comparison is virtually worthless in my mind. A simple dyno test should indicate whether they work better or not.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Any test that doesn't do either a side-by-side comparison or before and after comparison is virtually worthless in my mind. A simple dyno test should indicate whether they work better or not.
I absolutely agree. In order to demonstrate an improvement, instrumented testing with new standard plugs compared to new pulsar plugs would be absolutely necessary. Butt dyno results with new pulsar plugs compared to plugs of unknown age and condition are meaningless. And why in the world would it take burning through a tank of gas before seeing the results of a new spark plug make any sense at all?

There always does seem to be somebody wanting to oil my snake.

·
Registered
553 Posts
May not want to thread crap in a sponsored forum.

Rick

PS - Yes, I'm in the same town but didn't even know they existed until they became sponsors. No, I'm not affiliated in any way.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I absolutely agree. In order to demonstrate an improvement, instrumented testing with new standard plugs compared to new pulsar plugs would be absolutely necessary. Butt dyno results with new pulsar plugs compared to plugs of unknown age and condition are meaningless. And why in the world would it take burning through a tank of gas before seeing the results of a new spark plug make any sense at all?

There always does seem to be somebody wanting to oil my snake.
Thank you for all the feedback. To touch on the points brought up; please find the link to a number of dyno tests below. They are of Harleys and are all third party testings that compares new premium spark plugs to the Pulstar Spark Plug. So we apologize for not having a dyno of a V-Storm. If you know of anyone that would be willing to do a dyno test and share their results, we would be more than happy work with him/her to make it happen.

In regards to the point of going through a tank of gas before results are fully seen is mentioned because for bikes/cars that have a computer in them, the computer will calibrate accordingly to the gains from the plugs. This usually takes a tank of gas for the computer to properly adjust. For a naturally aspirated engine, running through a tank of gas will not make a difference. The affects will be seen immediately.

If you all have any follow up questions/concerns, please feel free expanding on the conversation.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Wjlq5B-6DLY1JmcTc5RE5kQUE/view?usp=sharing

~Andrew at Pulstar

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Thread crap.

Rick

PS - Yes, I'm in the same town but didn't even know they existed until they became sponsors. No, I'm not affiliated in any way.
If there is no substance to a claim or test by anyone, sponsor or not, they will be called out on it on any forum. They have now provided some dyno test results that may have some meat to them. I'd love to pick up a horsepower or two for a few bucks.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
It looks like there could be something to the technology. Thanks for sending along the dyno run information. I would be happy to use my bike to check out the new plugs. I can put you in touch with a local Honda shop that has a dyno I've used before and we could do some fresh runs using my new plugs and then yours. I have no dog in this contest, so it would be completely objective. If I can gain a HP or two with your plugs, I'll buy them from you and make sure the forum knows how well they worked. We need to communicate here, though, rather than by email so everyone knows how this comes about. I will also post the information on the two other VStrom forums I belong to. Bobby

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Pulsar Spark Plugs

Just keeping this alive. No response to my offer to Pulsar to test their plugs on my 'Strom as they said they would like to do.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
The curves are interesting but pose a rather basic question to me. Why are the torque curves crossing the horsepower curves at different places. Some are correct and some are offset as much as 1000 rpm?

Should not they all be crossing just past 5,200 rpm?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hard to tell, Scott. I'd like to test the plugs. Hey, if they're good they will sell a bunch. No way to know if they won't respond. I hope they have just been too busy to answer yet. Like they say, the bulls**t stops when the green flag drops. Or in this case, the dyno fires up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The curves are interesting but pose a rather basic question to me. Why are the torque curves crossing the horsepower curves at different places. Some are correct and some are offset as much as 1000 rpm?

Should not they all be crossing just past 5,200 rpm?
Thank you for the point. You are correct that horsepower(right side) and torque(left side) should pass at 5,252 rpm. If you notice for the 2004 FLH 95" that the two y-axis are different scales but if you see that they both cross at 5.25 at approximately 66 for the red line. Thank you again for pointing this out!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hard to tell, Scott. I'd like to test the plugs. Hey, if they're good they will sell a bunch. No way to know if they won't respond. I hope they have just been too busy to answer yet. Like they say, the bulls**t stops when the green flag drops. Or in this case, the dyno fires up.
Thank you Bobby for being patient with our response. We have the weekend off and today has been catch-up for us. We would very much like to work with you to do a dyno test on your bike. A couple of initial questions: 1) Do you know what type of dyno they have? 2) Can it perform a drivers trace like the FTP 75? 3) Can it test fuel flow? 4) Finally, does it have tools to capture the data stream from the ECU? Thank you again for your patience and eagerness to test Pulstar in your bike!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Rick

Rick, if you are free and would like, we would love for you to come down to our facility and give you a tour. Let us know if you are available?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Pulstar, thanks for the response. I sent an email to the tuner, Nels, that I am referring to. He will be able to answer your questions about the dyno. In advance though, I fail to see how fuel flow and the ECU data stream could have affected the dyno graphs you included in this thread. There was no correlation to fuel mileage or usage. The same engine at the same throttle setting at the same RPM will use the same amount of fuel. And the ECU data will be the same in both tests, so I am having trouble understanding the significance of it. I'm no scientist, but it appears to me that if you use the same engine without changing the tuning in back to back tests, the HP figures should speak for themselves without the need for Scijargon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Pulstar, thanks for the response. I sent an email to the tuner, Nels, that I am referring to. He will be able to answer your questions about the dyno. In advance though, I fail to see how fuel flow and the ECU data stream could have affected the dyno graphs you included in this thread. There was no correlation to fuel mileage or usage. The same engine at the same throttle setting at the same RPM will use the same amount of fuel. And the ECU data will be the same in both tests, so I am having trouble understanding the significance of it. I'm no scientist, but it appears to me that if you use the same engine without changing the tuning in back to back tests, the HP figures should speak for themselves without the need for Scijargon.
Thanks for the feedback. To respond to your points, a wide open throttle is just one operating condition and while it’s probably the most enjoyable one, it’s not one that most street bikes get run at most of the time. If the dyno that this test is being run on is capable of testing some other modes, that data might be interesting to others on this forum. The improvements in the combustion process from the Pulstar spark plugs can provide benefits beyond power gains (improved throttle response, reduced emissions, smoother idle…..) Because Pulstar spark plugs improves the combustion process, the fuel consumption and ECU data will not be the same as a stock plug with the same tuning. The ECU will make some adjustments on its own to compensate for the better burn. Examining the data stream and fuel flow results doesn’t affect the power but it can provide a more complete picture of what’s happening in the engine. Thanks again for the feedback. Let us know what your dyno operator says and let's see if we can make this happen!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. To respond to your points, a wide open throttle is just one operating condition and while it’s probably the most enjoyable one, it’s not one that most street bikes get run at most of the time. If the dyno that this test is being run on is capable of testing some other modes, that data might be interesting to others on this forum. The improvements in the combustion process from the Pulstar spark plugs can provide benefits beyond power gains (improved throttle response, reduced emissions, smoother idle…..) Because Pulstar spark plugs improves the combustion process, the fuel consumption and ECU data will not be the same as a stock plug with the same tuning. The ECU will make some adjustments on its own to compensate for the better burn. Examining the data stream and fuel flow results doesn’t affect the power but it can provide a more complete picture of what’s happening in the engine. Thanks again for the feedback. Let us know what your dyno operator says and let's see if we can make this happen!
Good news. I just received an email from Nels Byerdorf of Two Wheel Dyno Works (2wheeldynoworks.com). He can and would be happy to run the tests you described in your email. He uses a Dynojet dyno which appears to be equipped with all the bells and whistles. You can contact Nels for the details. This is likely the slower time of year for him, so it would be a good time to run some tests like yours. I can ride the bike over for the tests or, if the weather is not cooperative up here, I can trailer it over.

Thank you for the explanation of the capabilities of the dyno that you are interested in. I am not concerned about fuel mileage or a smooth idle, but a lot of people are. That would be valuable data for you. I suggest you contact Nels personally or feel free to do it through me, either way. Please cc me on any written correspondence so I can be up to date on what's happening and be prepared to do my part. Thank you for doing this.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good news. I just received an email from Nels Byerdorf of Two Wheel Dyno Works (2wheeldynoworks.com). He can and would be happy to run the tests you described in your email. He uses a Dynojet dyno which appears to be equipped with all the bells and whistles. You can contact Nels for the details. This is likely the slower time of year for him, so it would be a good time to run some tests like yours. I can ride the bike over for the tests or, if the weather is not cooperative up here, I can trailer it over.

Thank you for the explanation of the capabilities of the dyno that you are interested in. I am not concerned about fuel mileage or a smooth idle, but a lot of people are. That would be valuable data for you. I suggest you contact Nels personally or feel free to do it through me, either way. Please cc me on any written correspondence so I can be up to date on what's happening and be prepared to do my part. Thank you for doing this.
Just talked with Nels. He seems extremely knowledgeable in what he does! We are looking to have a phone conference with him on Monday to discuss the next steps. If you want to email me at [email protected], I'll CC on the emails. Thanks again!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts