StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm eyeballing my options on side cases.

I can't find anyone who mentions having the big 48L cases mounted on their 14+ Strom.

Anyone here have that setup? If so, do you have pics? particularly one looking at the bike from the rear end?

I'm trying to gauge how bad the width is.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I send You some Pics.

The 48L are width. That is why I took the 37L.

The 48L from the rear end;

[/IMG]

The 37L from the rear end.

[/IMG]

The 37 from the top;

[/IMG]

The 37L front;

[/IMG]

Peter

·
Registered
127 Posts
Consider your intended use.. the wider bags not only are more difficult to maneuver in tight spots, but probably cost a few more MPG, at minimum. That is a lot of wind drag, and a very blunt rear end.. by comparison the stock bags are 12" narrower and taper in the back a little bit to smooth the flow at higher cruising speeds. Imagine the drag from a 12" wide by 16" tall flat plate held into the wind at 60 mph, lol. But for mostly offroad and backroad use I can see the advantage of the larger bags, for sure. Wind drag isn't a factor at 20 mph..

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
yep... i'm considering all that. along with road trips to the cabin, i also want cases for when i use the bike as a grocery getter :) so I want to be able to set a standard recyclable grocery bag in each side. the 37's width might be tight for that use.

either way... even if i go through motostorm.. .it's a lot of ching for the bags. :)

Thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
reviving... if one gets the big trekker top case, will the 37's open? or does the case over hang and block opening the side cases?

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
reviving... if one gets the big trekker top case, will the 37's open? or does the case over hang and block opening the side cases?
I have the 37ltr pannier with 58ltr top case and it works fine. The left side is close to touching when opening but clears, right side has slightly more room. Both fine.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just got the 37L, I am 6'5" tall, and I still have kicked the crap out of them.... I don't know I could get on with 48's... Do most of you "step through" whats the trick here guys??

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just got the 37L, I am 6'5" tall, and I still have kicked the crap out of them.... I don't know I could get on with 48's... Do most of you "step through" whats the trick here guys??

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 2013 650 with the stock metal cases and I kicked them every time I stepped on and off. On the advice of another Strommer on another thread (don't remember who to give credit to) I started stepping on and off the bike using the footpegs. Works great on the side stand or center stand.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I have a 2013 650 with the stock metal cases and I kicked them every time I stepped on and off. On the advice of another Strommer on another thread (don't remember who to give credit to) I started stepping on and off the bike using the footpegs. Works great on the side stand or center stand.
Yes. This. I do the same when I have the side cases installed, and I'm 6'4".

Another comment regarding size. When I packed up, last minute, of course, to make the Romney trip recently, I was pleased to learn my bagged sleeping bag would fit in my "Suzuki" '12 Wee2 Adventure large case (but would not fit in the smaller case on the other side). That left me having to strap on only my sleeping mat and tent, which worked fine, I thought. Yeah, the wide cases really look wide, but if you need them and use them maybe they're worth it.

I will note that I think the "rounded" Givi topcase looks good with the "squarish" side cases I have and that you're considering.

As for the stock '14 & up Vee2 side cases, my eyes were opened at Romney when I saw some bikes with those and I realized they'd have been not as good (for me) for that trip as my Wee2 Adventure stock cases. The Vee2 Adventure cases maybe look better and have to be more aerodynamic, but not as functional if much stuff needs to be packed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
As for the stock '14 & up Vee2 side cases, my eyes were opened at Romney when I saw some bikes with those and I realized they'd have been not as good (for me) for that trip as my Wee2 Adventure stock cases. The Vee2 Adventure cases maybe look better and have to be more aerodynamic, but not as functional if much stuff needs to be packed.
Yes the stock bags are limited in capacity but it's easy to swing the leg over them and being narrow, they stay on the bike all the time. Coming from years on beemers it's what you get used to.

For more capacity I have 10L more available in the tankbag, then I can add one or two 40L duffels crosswise for my camp gear. One is almost always enough. I had my S10 set up the same way as it also had small OEM side cases.

Reactions: HokiesRWee
1 - 20 of 20 Posts