Strom Trooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, any StromTroopers (retired geezers like me) interested in doing a quick tour of the lower 48?

Next month is the V-Strom gathering East then a June ride is in order. So why not travel the 48? It is not going to be a flower sniff'n but an Iron Butt. No speeding but lots of miles.

A copy of the route is available at https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=South+Berwick,+ME&daddr=Brattleboro,+VT+to:Westerly,+RI+to:40.19461,-74.81603+to:Wilmington,+DE+to:Washington,+DC+to:Chesapeake,+OH+to:Greenville,+SC+to:30.99755,-87.56855+to:Texarkana,+TX+to:36.998142,-94.6250571+to:New+Buffalo,+MI+to:42.511584,-90.6060572+to:Wahpeton,+ND+to:Cheyenne,+WY+to:Four+Corners+Road,+Apache,+NM+to:41.99297,-120.29832+to:Spokane,+WA+to:Taft,+MT&hl=en&ll=44.276671,-90.527344&spn=51.82841,62.929688&sll=40.07597,-74.836121&sspn=0.838561,1.234589&geocode=FYy0kwIdnIjH-ymZiclroKPiiTHY5-I9sdtkaA;FXfajQId2tqs-yn189F6jxvhiTFZPY2NR1oo-w;FT9fdwIdqQC4-ylvsUKNS-TliTEHtr_P1cKSNw;FTJSZQId4mWK-ynrUNcMM1fBiTGS5vhibmB9CQ;FSl5XgId1T9_-ylvr0ZcGA_HiTEAjDB3UNoWhQ;FQh-UQIdsoRo-ylb5PZa3sa3iTEqXYjUIkVSwg;FdRcSgId9c0V-yntHvmDwAlGiDHZW1zGvWAESg;FQrPEwIdZsQW-ykFEfpiZo9XiDGWdiW_d52q2A;FS782AEdWs_H-inDO8dPRYKaiDEQ-g_Tt8meJA;FeUG_gEdOPJk-ilXZKDCMkE0hjFwW9thkjxYnQ;Ff6LNAId3yJc-ilLa5voXW7IhzGMbYicRv9rFA;FYq5fQIdlWTU-ikHuL06qwQRiDGTT_yDfE6-4g;FeCsiAIdF3aZ-ikf_yOKfSrjhzEl5HhcYeD0Cg;FZXzwQIdLek9-imFiebrHknJUjEAzWPJLZGtyw;FQ2_cwId6pHA-SmT73MudjhvhzErLZePQTAKsQ;FZ-ONAIdHRqA-Sll1ZKk0iU6hzHmmUNsD1zxbw;FQrDgAIdsGTU-Cn3LuetMCjKVDHsEjsABkBhNA;FRw31wIdgTgA-Snl57swXBieVDGx2YQL1sn83Q;FQyE0wIdkCAc-SmBLtw4rZJgUzE8ayzubyJPsQ&mra=dvme&mrsp=3&sz=10&via=3,8,10,12,16&t=m&z=4&dg=feature&output=classic or I've attached a copy.

From start to finish is approx 7,000 plus miles to get to the start (South Berwick, Maine) and get home from the finish (Taft, Montana).

My planned departure from South Berwick will probably be Friday June 19 but would be flexible if I found another retired rider to join me. This is not a trip for dreamers so PM me if you are seriously interested.

Ride Safe.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,227 Posts
I would love to say that I would make the trip with ya, but I know that my participation will not happen that soon

my plan is to get a 50cc under my belt before I attempt 48 in 10

my "50cc the hard way" route from Portsmouth Naval Ship Yard in Kittery to San Diego Naval Base in San Diego

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z2OUMDf08oY8.kHOhj770kxyM

if unsuccessful, then I would make the more routine SD-Jax attempt on the return trip

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
I've done some long mile days. Riding at night is just a bore when you are tired and just making miles. I'd love a contiguous 48 ride but would rather enjoy the scenery as I motored along so daylight riding would be my pleasure factor.
I read some of the IB rules and requirements. They certainly do like their rules.
Doing a 50cc or the 10/48 requires stamina and a really comfortable seat. I did a close to 1K day coming back from the Cache camp out at Cascade Id. last June on the Wee just to see how it was. No sweat pounding miles on this bike.
The one thing most of the IB guys do is have a large fuel capacity, 10-11 gallons is the max, I think. That helps when trying to do the big miles. Every gas stop is time and miles lost so you want to minimize stops.
My G650GS BMW with a 3.7 gallon tank just would not be any fun at all. The Wee at 5.8 gallons would be much better. A proper Aux tank would a nice feature.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
50cc? Info please.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
look me up at the stromtrooper rally. I may be interested as that rally will be the end of my 'planned' ride starting in 3 more days. Or ride up to Romney with me and get an early start :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
50cc is an IronButt Coast to Coast ride done in 50 hours or less.. More Info can be had here Iron Butt 50cc Quest Rules

It is actually a not bad ride. 45 hours and change for me and that included a 4-5 hour hotel night

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
50cc? Info please.
KZDon,
I missed that you are a neighbor to the north.

The TC Quest is the Canadian equivalent of a 50cc ride in the United States. To earn recognition for the TC Gold a rider must travel from coast to coast across Canada in 75 hours or less, the additional time allowed because of additional distance and generally lower speed limits than one encounters in the United States.

More information at Trans-Canada Rules

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
wow, crazy fun idea - 48 in 10

I touched 20 states in 20 days a few years ago and thought that to be a big accomplishment.

·
Registered
22,227 Posts
I've done some long mile days. Riding at night is just a bore when you are tired and just making miles. I'd love a contiguous 48 ride but would rather enjoy the scenery as I motored along so daylight riding would be my pleasure factor.
I read some of the IB rules and requirements. They certainly do like their rules.
Doing a 50cc or the 10/48 requires stamina and a really comfortable seat. I did a close to 1K day coming back from the Cache camp out at Cascade Id. last June on the Wee just to see how it was. No sweat pounding miles on this bike.
The one thing most of the IB guys do is have a large fuel capacity, 10-11 gallons is the max, I think. That helps when trying to do the big miles. Every gas stop is time and miles lost so you want to minimize stops.
My G650GS BMW with a 3.7 gallon tank just would not be any fun at all. The Wee at 5.8 gallons would be much better. A proper Aux tank would a nice feature.
I have found that saddle is not as important as underwear

while a lot of IB members have added fuel capacity, by far, most do not, there are over 50,000 members last I knew. I would be surprised if even 5% have added fuel capacity from stock

key at stops is discipline, when planning an IB ride, I allow for 15 minutes off pace for each fuel stop, starting from when I decelerate getting off the highway till getting back up to speed, this allows for leisurely fuel stop, get off bike, take off helmet, walk into gas station to pay for fuel, fuel up, walk into gas station to get receipt, record milage and stow receipt, put helmet back on and I'm on my way

SaddleSore 1000 can be done with minimal planning, get a good days rest, start about 1-2 am will put most of your riding in daylight hours, darkness hours will be at beginning of ride, you will finish before it gets dark early next evening

BBG is a little tougher, you need to have all your fuel stops planned and have a schedule to stick to, But, As I found out, the planning is tougher than the ride

I like doing IB rides to get to a destination, not waste my time diddling while riding past things I have already seen several times, and gives me more quality time to spend at my destination

a BBG puts a day of leisurely riding in the Ozarks possible on a 3 day weekend from New England

IMHO, IB Riding gives you more time to stop and smell the roses where it counts

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Don't forget that those fuel stops are critical for more than just fueling your bike. You need to get off and stretch the body out on occasion. Proper food and hydration and bathroom breaks are critical to mental alertness. You also have to document your route and timing with receipts/witnesses. Cleaning your visor and windscreen are also advisable. One thing I found critical was removing earplugs now and then. All this requires getting off the bike.

As Randyo mentioned, what you wear on your ass is just as important as what you sit on. I can do all day with my Gerbings pants on. If I'm just wearing jeans, I get uncomfortable in a couple of hours. I recommend a good pair of riding pants.

A cruise control is nice too.

·
Registered
22,227 Posts
You need to get off and stretch the body out on occasion.
that is why I have developed a routine of prepaying for gas and then walking back in to get receipt & change, hit the head if I need to, usually I hydrate and snack on a protein bar as well

I have learned to use cash, and not count on the credit card company tagging your account that you will be using it for several small purchases across state lines, even if you notified them, or fiddling around with several cards

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
KZDon,
I missed that you are a neighbor to the north.

The TC Quest is the Canadian equivalent of a 50cc ride in the United States. To earn recognition for the TC Gold a rider must travel from coast to coast across Canada in 75 hours or less, the additional time allowed because of additional distance and generally lower speed limits than one encounters in the United States.

More information at Trans-Canada Rules
I get it. Thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts