Strom Trooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been planning a solo lower 48 state tour beginning here in Southern California on my 2008 DL650. My plan is to leave July 5, 2016. There are several things I want to accomplish. First, I want to ride in all lower 48 states. That ride can easily be done in 10 days, but I have other purposes for the trip. Second, I want to visit places I have been, that are significant in my life. I was born and half raised in PA. I want to visit places back east where I have been before such as Washington DC, Philly, and New York City. Third, I want to visit places I have wanted to visit: Boston, New Orleans i.e. Fourth, I want to spend time with family and friends along the way.

I have developed a route that accomplishes my goals. The route could be more efficient coming back from Maine through Pennsylvania, but I want to spend time in my home state of PA. When I reach Oregon, I will have ridden in all 48 states in a 3 week period, plus Alaska, where I rode two years ago. I will also have been in all 50 states. Although I have been to Hawaii, I have never ridden there. My brother lives in Hawaii and is a motorcyclist, so that should be easy to accomplish.

My other thread in the dl650 forum is regarding preparing the bike for the trip. I have received lots of fantastic advice and Im well on my way to prepping the bike. In this thread, I wish to discuss other preparations, and then the actual travel log as I am traveling on the trip. I will also have a blog for family and friends.

I would love advice on what gear to take. I plan to camp when it isnt raining. Here is what I have so far:

Camping gear: I have a compact sleeping bag that is meant for hikers, yet is rated around 20 or 30 degrees. I have a blow-up pad to go under the sleeping bag. I have a tent that I used on my Alaska trip. Its easy to set up and break down, and is small and lightweight. I plan on getting a light compact stool to sit on at camp sites and stopping places. I have head lights and flashlights. Any advice on cooking gear? I bought some compact cooking stuff from Walmart but havent used it.

Clothes: I have the best rain gear I could find. I bought a Goretex Pro Qualifier jacket and bib from Bass Pro. I also bought tall fishing boots to keep rain from going under the pants and into the boots. I have Icon armored waterproof gloves that I tested in a bucket of water. My jacket will be my Powertripp red and white mesh jacket with liner. Im undecided on pants. I have some really nice pants that have zip off fronts for ventilation. I thought about armored jeans instead. Ideas?

The rest of my clothes will be a few shirts, socks, underwear and a pair of shoes to walk around in.

Cooling: It will be very hot along much of the way. I have a Camelback backpack with bladder for liquids and a hose with a bite valve on it. I will need a cooling vest of some kind. Id like the best one out there. Ideas?

Bags: I have huge aluminum adventure side boxes. I also have a Givi Monosomething rear top case. I have a Suzuki tank bag. I have a BMW Motorrad tail bag I can use for the pillion seat. The bag has a built in back rest and it waterproof.

Miscellaneous: I have a fuel transfer pump in case I need to siphon gas. I will assemble tools for the bike, including a 12mm allen socket for the front axle. I plan on getting a battery(I forgot what they call it) for jump starting and for cell phone charging. GoPro Hero 2 will be hanging around my neck for vid and pics. Cell phone for pics too.

I will get decals for my side boxes that will keep a tally of how many states I have been to. It will say "48 State Tour", underlined, and then have tallys for each time I enter a new state. I also plan to make up 48 index cards with each state on there to do a selfie in each state.

I have a thread on the 04-11 DL650 regarding bike prep.

Feel free to chime in...comment...advice...invite to visit or ride along part of the route.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Antigravity is the battery we use.
Clothes should be entirely poly ...no cotton. Pack small, dry fast and stretch.

What about a string kit for flats and a 12 volt compressor ..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Antigravity is the battery we use.
Clothes should be entirely poly ...no cotton. Pack small, dry fast and stretch.

What about a string kit for flats and a 12 volt compressor ..
I plan on poly shirts while riding. Ill be spending a fair amount of time sightseeing, so I will have a few items for that. I think I will wear armored motorcycle pants that have zip out vents and wear shorts underneath for when I am off the bike. I will probably ride in high top sneakers and carry rain boots. Otherwise I could end up carrying multiple shoes and boots which I do not want to do.

For a list of clothes, Im thinking 2 poly shirts for riding, 2 cotton t shirts for sight seeing, 1 pair of jeans, 2 shorts, and then a few (4?) underwear and socks. Rain boots for rain and high tops for dry riding. I have my Goretex jacket and bib for rain and cold.

I should get tire plugs and a 12v compressor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts