StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Awesome!

That was a great video.

I'm in the process of getting my Wee out for road on the dirt, next service changing the front tyre to a Anakee II to match the rear, also making some aluminium panniers and bash plate. So, your video was inspiring.

What tyres were you using?
What tyre pressures?

Thanks,
Mike
:thumbup:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That was a great video.

I'm in the process of getting my Wee out for road on the dirt, next service changing the front tyre to a Anakee II to match the rear, also making some aluminium panniers and bash plate. So, your video was inspiring.

What tyres were you using?
What tyre pressures?

Thanks,
Mike
:thumbup:
Mike, This video link was sent to me by a mate who is friends with some of the riders in this video, I will talk to my mate soon and make some enquiries about their tyres etc and post it here. The tyres on the Strom look like TKC80 or similar and pressures...well they are loaded up heavy with gear, normally with weight increase you would increase rear pressure 3-4psi on tar but on the dirt just leave them as normal when heavy and its nearly the same as letting them down a bit when you are light. Out in the desert areas you have to check tyre pressure regularly (morning /lunch/afternoon as the temp can get close to 50 degrees celcius!!, also out there the road heat can cause higher pressures so its just a check and adjust as you go on a trip like this one, generally you have to let air out at those temps... In that sort of country you can guarantee someone will get a flat so do some practice at home first. (even try putting a tube in your tubless strom tyre) This trip was a couple of mates deciding they would ride to the Birdsville pub & back and someone having some video editing skills, It turned out very well and yes it inspired me too :) Hope your adventure goes well & post some footage or pics if/when you make it home.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the late reply, the tyres used were MEFO Explorers, the riders reported they were great on the dirt/gravel but crap on the tar.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Outback tyres

I've done two Outback trips riding the Strom 650. First trip back of Broken Hill to a 92,000acre, or was it Hectares? station. Roads basically Geurie, Parks, Condoblin to Lake Cargelligo all Tar. Then dirt from Euabalong West along the road beside the rail line through Roto Ivanhoe to Lake Menindee. Spent an interesting day around the district and around the Darling, then to Broken Hill and 160kms on White Cliffs road to relo's homested who were the original pioneering settlers,how REALLY tough it was then. On this trip I had 2nd hand TKC80's from a mate, excellent tyre but I would rather walk than pay $305 I have seen advertised in OZ for a rear only!!

Next trip I had to Flinders Rangers. Heidenau K60s (prior to scout) Tough tough tyre! Very happy with it and huge miles. This was tar all the way to the reception desk at Wilpena. Then rode around dirt, then up thru Brachina gorge. Exiting the other side I was blown over in a monster sand storm (not just dust) Have already posted sob story. Ambo'd to Hawker Hosp.-black x-rays by cranky nurse then 5 v sore days home to find I had 3 broken ribs and a compression fracture of a vertebra. Not any fun!

Both types of tyre were perfect but now many choices. If I were to do more serious dirt I would try for smaller gaps between blocks, in the hope of no flat tyres. Heidies if flat would be a fair bitch to remove when roadside. I'd recommend K60s again but there are more to consider too.

That outback country is just awesome in the real sense. Night skys aaarh!!

Travel safe and as Chops told me "ride like the wind"

Saturn 5

1 - 7 of 7 Posts