StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vermont V Strom Rally in August.

I have a route plan

It came up to 450 miles which according to google posted speeds would be 12 hours. It is about 1/4 dirt and of course there would be food and fuel stops that are not counted in that 12 hours. It is over most gaps and notches then cross the state.

There would also be a logical BAIL point with not going to NH and heading for the Kancagamus (sp?) Highway that could be an option and save maybe 60 miles. This can be presented as an option but I don't want social pressure to over tax anyone.

What say you

obtw sign up slackers

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Vermont V Strom Rally in August.

I have a route plan

It came up to 450 miles which according to google posted speeds would be 12 hours. It is about 1/4 dirt and of course there would be food and fuel stops that are not counted in that 12 hours. It is over most gaps and notches then cross the state.

There would also be a logical BAIL point with not going to NH and heading for the Kancagamus (sp?) Highway that could be an option and save maybe 60 miles. This can be presented as an option but I don't want social pressure to over tax anyone.

What say you

obtw sign up slackers
When I'm planning group rides in Arkansas 250 seems to be the sweet spot, 300 is a big day. 450 would be insane.
I don't think Vermont would be too different.

·
Registered
858 Posts
seems like, with food and gas stops not figured in, that is an awful long ride for many. you would, imho, be pushing the pace a bit for relaxed enjoyment. some of the riders may enjoy it, but others may not. Imho i'd shorten it a bit.

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well back when I was young and foolish

I would go on the Ramapo 500 which would be like 280 the first day.

My little group usually did it by like 2 in the afternoon.

Of course some 2 up Gold wing riders were there after dark..

How about 2 rides.....

First ride is like 280 or 300 for everyone and then a second 2 hour loop for the speedsters starting from the point of origin ?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
450 miles, with 125 of that dirt ? I wouldn't do that, especially if in a group ride. I'm planning my annual summer trip, usually about a week,and 3,000 miles or so. I try to map my days between 325 and 400 miles, lot's of stops for photo ops, water breaks, 10 minute stretch, etc. Still gets me to a motel by 6 or 7 pm or so for dinner. I travel alone, so I ride my own pace, stop as often or seldom as I like. I did a trip 4 years ago with three other riders, never again. It was like herding cats.

·
Registered
969 Posts
One factor to take into account is the speed limit on each road. Percentage wise you won't be able to make up time on highway but on back roads posted at 30 and 35 you can do much better. Just 10 miles on google maps with a posted 35 is 17 minutes. The same road at 45 is 13 minutes. By the same token, !0 miles at 65 is just over 9 minutes and at 75 is 8 minutes. 450 in a day I have done many time but on the right roads. Good luck on your trip.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Rich,
As one of the participants.. IMO 450 is INSANE
I think 300 is a lot, but 450???
Thanks

·
Registered
515 Posts
Well back when I was young and foolish

I would go on the Ramapo 500 which would be like 280 the first day.

My little group usually did it by like 2 in the afternoon.

Of course some 2 up Gold wing riders were there after dark..

How about 2 rides.....

First ride is like 280 or 300 for everyone and then a second 2 hour loop for the speedsters starting from the point of origin ?
Easy on the Gold Wing guys you wouldn't want to try to keep up with allot of them. The 1800 Wing is really a VFR on Roids.
Bill

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Easy on the Gold Wing guys you wouldn't want to try to keep up with allot of them. The 1800 Wing is really a VFR on Roids.
Bill
easy to rack up the miles when you drive a sofa....

450kms would be a stretch, 450 miles is ironbutt territory especially with the off road portion....depending on the size of the group, you could have defections and or lynch mobs forming before that one is over... :argue:

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
easy to rack up the miles when you drive a sofa....

450kms would be a stretch, 450 miles is ironbutt territory especially with the off road portion....depending on the size of the group, you could have defections and or lynch mobs forming before that one is over... :argue:
Lynch mobs :green_lol: that's a keeper!

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well that's why I am asking I guess the concensus so far would be about 300 for a good ride

Open letter to the ride alone gang

This is a 1 day event in the year. It will be routed for each individual. There is no great parade. If people want to pair up then fine if not then don't.

The "ride" is part of the event not the whole event. I was angling for some comaraderie at the campsite and campsite evening.

Getting together is A single aspect of motorcycling. This a very nice ride in Vermont with some extras NOT detractions.

You are not committing to a marriage just the evening of the 8/20. If you can't find common ground with people who ride the exact thing and way you do then we need the Aspergers hot line.

Yes the manager and pitcher ARE talking about you

·
Registered
280 Posts
How ya doin' Rich,

I'm not joining you guys... so don't take my advise....BUT.....

The "ride" is part of the event not the whole event. I was angling for some comaraderie at the campsite and campsite evening.
..... if I was going, after 450 miles, at the campfire i'd be thinking, " Yeah comrads, lets lynch the SOB!":green_lol:

He-he. Dave

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Rich,
Can you please attach a GoogleMaps link of the route you're thinking of?
I'd like to convert it to GPX and then load it to the Garmin GPS.
Thanks.

·
Registered
392 Posts
group ride

450 miles with 1/4 on dirt is a great way to insure someone needs medical attention during the ride. You can't count on experience levels in a group ride. And no matter what you say, new riders will try to keep up, usually end up riding well beyond their experience levels. You might get lucky, you might not. Make sure your insurance is paid up ahead of time.

I've lead a bunch of long distance group rides, have to make at least the first day's ride the level that a rank beginner would enjoy, then if the experience proves otherwise you can extend the next day's ride distance.

450 miles would be a nice two day ride.

Bill H.

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am ultimately making the route on

Mapsource Garmin Software.

There will be

garmin
gpx files will be posted on some file storage site

and paper

Once again I am agreeing that 450 is too much.

This was also a shameless promotion to try to spur more attendees

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
This was also a shameless promotion to try to spur more attendees
+1 on that. No such thing as bad press :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I ride with a mixed group of male and female riders with varying degrees of expertise. We did 368 miles on mixed pavement in one 10 hour day and it was a killer. I agree with whoever said 250 miles or so on pavenment is a good ride for a group as someone usually has some kind of bike trouble. And this is not even considering the dirt part! I don't like dirt riding on my Wee and I can't even imagine doing it on a bigger bike. I was strictly a dirt rider until I got my Wee so it is not from a lack of experience.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Earlier I posted 450 depends on the speed limit on each road. While that is still true, I'd like to apologize for not realizing this was a group ride. 450 is tooooo much in that case. You can plan for extra miles and edit the route as the day progresses. I plan several group trips every year and have places along the trip that I can make up time and or miles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts