StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey Kev,

The 2004 and up ones have it from the factory (or was that 2005?), I'm not sure if the earlier ones can be upgraded with the later model gear or not.

Take care,
Bob S.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
klong said:
Anyone done this yet on a 2003?

Thx,
Kevin L
Perhaps I should have been a little more specific:
I would like to add 4 way flashers to a 2003 DL1000; has anyone found a source for doing this?

KL

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
I didn't as I have it already done by Mr. Suzuki at the factory. :wink:
But as far as I know it differs from the non-equipped DLs in the switch and the flasher unit as well. I think it could be a nice do-it-yourself mod. I would start with getting the wiring diagrams of both models. If you want to make a clean job you need to replace the complete unit from the left handlebar includig wiring harness. Maybe worth a look on ebay or other used part shop otherwise it can be quite expensive. But I am sure it can be done with a suitable switch on a self-made panel and a flasher unit. Perhaps needs a bit soldering, drilling, metering etc. Fun if you like it!

Balazs

·
Registered
26 Posts
Klong,,,
i have read about it before. i think europe had them from the beginning of the bike. if you look closely to the left control youll see a spot where youd likly want to have the switch (( kinda like a small-ish blk cover/tab )) ,,well thats where they have it in europe,,i have no idea how/where they did it on the newer bikes.

also,if you can find pictures on line of a 2003 from europe,,you might get lucky and see the switch yourself.

from what i remember,,theres a switch you can get, (( up-grade parts to copy the europe version))and just put it in the controller you have now,,course youll need wires as well. when i read about it,,the guy was gonna do just what your talking about.
im nearly positive i have seen them in pics ...........

sorry i cant remember more. ill look in my "favorites" to see if i saved it for future reference... like NOW is the future i save crap for. heh heh heh

good luck,
roy

that page from Kriss.... they have some decent stuff

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Mokus

I sent a reply to your PM to me. Did you get it. I have no indication that my computer sent it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys ; I have done a little more checking and it looks like the '04/'05 left assy will fit the early models, and as per Ron Ayers Motorsports, it does come w/ all of the switches. All I'd need to do is trace out the wiring, etc., and install a flasher - I kind of like the idea of the wig-wag from Kriss as an attention getter.
I even went so far as to call Suzuki customer service in Brea, CA: after wading through the cattendant optiions and finally getting connected to a live person, I explained what I was trying to do, and asked for tech support. No such luck, and the converstaion went something like this:
"Can I do this?"
"Suzuki does not support installing aftermarket accessories"
"It's not aftermarket, it's genuine Suzuki parts"
"Suzuki does not support installing parts made for a different motorcycle"
"It's the same motorcycle, just different by one year"
"Suzuki does not,,,,, " You get the idea!

Mr. Less Than Helpful suggested that I call Suzuki Japan, and even offered up their telephone #; he also pointed out that they are 12 hours ahead, and only speak Japanese when they answer.

Guess I'll figure it out myself.

KevinL

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Just a little more info. When the key is in park position the signals will also work. Flash On.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, but that doesn't address the basic question of how to add 4-way flashers; I've seen many different ideas, and the portable LED flashers are very visible, but they are separate units, and would not integrate properly into the existing turn signals.
I've decided to pursue the Kriss option as the best recourse(http://www.kriss.com/hazardflasher.htm) and use the integrated switch into the '04 and newer left handlebar ass'y. Besides, I REALLY like the wig-wag feature of the Kriss!

Kevin L

1 - 19 of 19 Posts