Strom Trooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mid September, a buddy and I set out from San Francisco to Montana on our bikes. Our first day was the longest by far at 590 miles, but the idea was to get out of dodge quickly and get to the stuff we don't see as often. A few details:

• We were rained on nearly every day, but never too badly
    We took over 1,000 photos
    7 National Parks, and more national forests than we could count
    13 continental divide crossings.
It was a simply amazing trip. We camped every other day or so, and stayed with some friends along the way. We mercifully avoided any run-ins with the law as well, which is always pleasant.

Probably my favorite stop was a tiny place called Atlantic City, WY where they turned the open sign to closed when they saw us roll in!

You can check out the route here.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a GPX of the route if anyone wants it. My buddy put it together. It really was a spectacular set of roads. Beartooth Highway, Million Dollar Highway... Just too many good roads to count.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Envious , that sounds like a legendary trip !!

So what bikes were you riding ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Envious , that sounds like a legendary trip !!
It was an absolutely amazing trip.

So what bikes were you riding ?
The trip was taken in an embarrassingly V-Strom-free period in my life, between my 650 and my 1000. I rode my BMW K1200GT, which was comfy, but not as reliable as I would have liked. For a touring bike, it gets awful finicky after a long day of riding. I would have rather been on a 'Strom. My buddy rode his FZ6, which is a choice I would not have made!

·
Registered
197 Posts
South pass, Atlantic city Chief Josephs hwy, Beartooth hywy. All in my back yard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts