StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody mess with this stuff?

I bought a 4x8 sqft sheet of black (not gloss), and covered my entire Strom with the stuff. I'm not close to being complete with this project yet, as I've ordered my decals to put back on, and who knows how long they'll take to arrive. I'm not putting the plastics back on until I get the new decals on, so now I have a torn up bike, but I promise to post when I put it back together. Anyway, I was wondering if anybody else has messed with this stuff? I took the excess I had and entirely transformed the interior of my Jeep Commander, as well, and when my wife gives me the green light, i'm going to slap some on the dash of her Jeep Patriot :).

Anyways, It's cool sh*t! I'm having fun with it. If you have messed with it, please post what you did and maybe a pic or two. I'd love to see it.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Why?

What's the deal?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Anybody mess with this stuff?

I bought a 4x8 sqft sheet of black (not gloss), and covered my entire Strom with the stuff. I'm not close to being complete with this project yet, as I've ordered my decals to put back on, and who knows how long they'll take to arrive. I'm not putting the plastics back on until I get the new decals on, so now I have a torn up bike, but I promise to post when I put it back together. Anyway, I was wondering if anybody else has messed with this stuff? I took the excess I had and entirely transformed the interior of my Jeep Commander, as well, and when my wife gives me the green light, i'm going to slap some on the dash of her Jeep Patriot :).

Anyways, It's cool sh*t! I'm having fun with it. If you have messed with it,
please post what you did and maybe a pic or two. I'd love to see it.
Please post photos - then people will respond quickly.
And get that allen key out.. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've used it before to add some bling to the Kawi 650R. I purchased a cheap, scraped-up pair of lower fairing pieces off of Ebay and made them look better than new with the 3M Di-Noc.

It just takes patience and a heat gun.

I found the stuff to be very durable.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have some flat black I need to put on my side panels but I have one question. How much "folds" over the edge and what holds that small fold in place on the edges of the panel?
I left about an inch wrapped around the backside of the fairings; the built-in adhesive held quite well. The heat gun is required to allow the material to conform to curves and odd angles.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seen a whole bike done in it that looked surprisingly good, installer said lots of heat was required in the curves.
Installer was correct! This stuff is relatively easy to work with, as long as you have patience. So far, I've still got a little more to go, but I've spent at least 10-12 hours of heating, rubbing, pulling, stretching, rubbing some more, finessing a lot, and sweating all over this stuff. the tank has proved to be the biggest pain in the ass, but I am really diggin the end result.

Like I said above, I'm not going to bolt it all back together until I get my decals in, but the scheme is the same as when I had it in blue. I'm going with the XL German style decals in reflective black up front, and Medium reflective black in the rear. I'm keeping my Dakar man decals, but going with reflective red, and I'm putting dark reflective red wheel tape to replace the blue that you see in the pic.

Since I know Pictures are more valuable than anything, here are a few while it's still unbolted

I also had a fair amount of excess, so I played around with my Jeep, and I'm also impressed with the outcome. For anybody that has, or knows what the Commander dash looks like... well, it's stark, and it's BIG! I think this really added what was missing, and it's not wood grain :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Wow. That is impressive. You could be a professional. What temp for the heatgun, and does it shrink to fit?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

Thanks MillCreek, I appreciate the compliment. I certainly would do this professionally if I weren't such a dedicated employee to Uncle Sam... And I truely thought I could make a substantial income by doing it. This month, I'm going to a unit mandated training session/ride, and for the first time ever, I'm not going to bring my Harley. I'm taking this as an advertisement. Maybe I can sell somebody on a little update!

I got some of my decals in. I ordered black XL and M sized German style decals, but when I peeled the top film off I realized I got quite the white reflective surprise! I'm happy that I did, too. I really like the contrast up frong, and I dig the black subdued decals for the rear plastics.

I'm still not done. The blue reflective wheel tape is being replaced with red. I've got new Zuk emblems en route, and I'm going to play with the wind screen some more. The deadly spear tip is getting cut down. I also might paint the Zumo black with some plasti dip, too.

Like before, Pics are all that matters, so here you go.

·
Registered
813 Posts
That looks really neat - especially with the decals over the top.

Might look into this for my Connie's scratched belly-pan. Maybe there'll be some left over for the Vee...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Bike looks awesome man, love the white decals on black textured look. Well done sir!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'd like to find that stuff in a "Desert Sand" color, like an old landcruiser. My side panels look awful. I'd do them in the tan and leave the rest black. I'd be happy if the results were half as good as yours!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd actually thought about a "tactical" type look for a long time before I found this stuff, but being on active duty, I'd get goofed on until the day I retired.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts