StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The phone plug on my bike was replaced with a dual USB plug. It has 2.5A to one socket, and 2A to the second. I noticed yesterday that the 3A fuse was blown, and this is likely because the device I plugged into it pulled more than 3A.

If I switch it to a 10A fuse, is this going to immediately melt all the wiring in my harness and cause a nuclear detonation? Maybe I can find a 4.5A fuse, would that be better?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,026 Posts
It mostly depends on what gauge wire is used in the circuit, and how long the wiring is. There are ampacity charts on line that'll tell you how many amps a certain gauge wire can handle over how many feet of wiring. I know that's kind of vague, but I don't know what size wiring is in the circuit, so anything I said would be pretty much an uninformed guess.

Here's a chart that might help: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amps-wire-gauge-d_730.html
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It mostly depends on what gauge wire is used in the circuit, and how long the wiring is. There are ampacity charts on line that'll tell you how many amps a certain gauge wire can handle over how many feet of wiring. I know that's kind of vague, but I don't know what size wiring is in the circuit, so anything I said would be pretty much an uninformed guess.

Here's a chart that might help: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amps-wire-gauge-d_730.html
Thanks. I found another post that said it would be OK to put a 5A fuse in instead of the 3A, so I ordered some of these low profile fuses. Hopefully that works out OK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,026 Posts
You should probably check and make sure you don't have a short in one of your USB outlets. If the outlet itself is the problem, and not the device you plugged into it, then putting a 5 amp fuse in there instead of a 3 amp is just going to allow the wiring to get that much hotter when the the outlet short circuits. If it is a short, a 5 amp fuse will allow the wiring in the circuit to cook for just that much longer until the fuse blows.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should probably check and make sure you don't have a short in one of your USB outlets. If the outlet itself is the problem, and not the device you plugged into it, then putting a 5 amp fuse in there instead of a 3 amp is just going to allow the wiring to get that much hotter when the the outlet short circuits. If it is a short, a 5 amp fuse will allow the wiring in the circuit to cook for just that much longer until the fuse blows.
Yes, testing that now. It was my InReach Sat Tracker that was plugged into it, but I may have plugged something else in there too at one point, I also wonder if a bit of water might have migrated into the plug somewhere, I ride in rain a lot. Wiring to Tracker seems fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Bugsy
That wiring will take a comfortable 6 amps. I've been in the fuse box wiring and the back of the plug. I think Suzuki have been ultra cautious. I'm running my heated grips @ 5amps with 7.5 amp fuse. I shorted it out and no cooked wiring, it is probably good for 10 amps. My TomTom takes a good 2 amps, with something else plugged in itcould easily overload a 3amp fuse. Get some ACF50, it keeps things insulated and running sweet and stops the corrosion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
686 Posts
2.5A + 2A @ 5v = 22.5 Watts. Assuming its a good quality outlet and 85% efficiency, then it draws 26.5Watts / 13. 8V = 2Amps.

The existing fuse should be fine for that usb outlet. Either the outlet is shorted or it's very inefficient. As mentioned above, using a higher rated fuse could mask a bigger problem. Test the wiring and outlet before the changing fuses. Many multimeters have a dc amp measurement feature. Along with the wire gauge and length, the number and types of connections must also be considered when selecting fuses as each component drops voltage and increases current.

Inreach will draw between 0.5A and 2.0A @ 5V, so that should not be an issue.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top