StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired an 05 DL1000. Happy so far, but I'm finding the surging a bit frustrating. I've researched here and VSRI and it seems like it isn't uncommon.

I've done the following, but it still persists:
New air filter
New plugs
Verified the TPS
Verified the secondaries are balanced as well
Balanced the throttle bodies
(The ECU was previously replaced)

The surging isn't unbearable, but I guess I feel it is unacceptable. There's no reason a modern EFI bike should do this, IMHO. But it is what it is.

So am I missing something or do I just go to a Power Commander or do the Yosh box?

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Most of this has been reported in the 3 to 4 K range.

Check your throttle body boots.

TPS can be a little funky even if set is good, surging at 5K is unusual

·
Registered
542 Posts
5000 RPMS seams high for the surge. Mine was below 3500 before the PC. Now I can take her below 2500 before she slightly acts up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

The TB boots are seated and tight.

The surging is the worst at about 4K. By 5K, it's mostly gone but it seems to be present to some degree in the whole ~3-5K area. But definitely peaks at 4K. Revving/accelerating through those ranges isn't bad, but trying to hold a steady 4K is pretty annoying.

The idle is fine. So I'm leaning more toward fueling than a vacuum leak, but really haven't a clue. I'm not opposed to doing something to the efi map, but would rather not if this is actually just an adjustment issue.

The bike has 48K and has had 2 previous owners. I haven't really noticed anything out of the ordinary with it, i.e. mods.

·
Administrator
18,448 Posts
Typical for the 2005 model, you will need a PCIII or PCV to cure the lean issue.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A bit more info . . .

The PO to the PO had the clutch replaced in '09 (as well as a TB sync). But even right after that he complained of the 3500-4000 surging. I had thought the clutch basket was modified, but from his postings, I think it was a new OEM clutch. I was starting to wonder if this was the "chudder" and not an EFI issue.

I will still do the "chudder" test, but I'm becoming more convinced it is an EFI issue that has always been that way on the bike. If it passes the "chudder" test, I will start tweaking with the EFI. Might try the Yosh box first since it sounds like a cheap solution. Do most motorcycle shops have a Yosh box?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,610 Posts
Do the "chudder test". Modified baskets have only been available for about two years so that might help determine if the previous owner just put in a new Suzuki basket or a modified basket. Typically the chudder symptoms are not as pronounced at a steady rpm under light load, but the vibrations can be there. Under light throttle load under 4000 rpm the lean burn surge is most noticeable. IIRC the 2005 models had more than their share of lean burn issues.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks RealShelby (nice Mustang BTW). Based on the post where the PPO listed it to sell to the PO, he referred to it as "new" as opposed to modified (and it was 2009). It does have some clutch noise distinct from the surging. I had actually attributed THAT to "chudder" but had never formally done the chudder test. The clutch noise I do hear is far less bothersome than the surging. I can't help but think an EFI mgt tool is in my future.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you want a day trip, ride out to the shore and I'll throw the Yosh on your bike.

Iz

·
Registered
239 Posts
Been there done that. After a installing a PCIII and with the help of Real Shelby's modified clutch basket everything is "the way it should have come from the factory". No more surging and no more chudder. It cost me a few hundred bucks but this is a long term bike for me and I wanted it to be "right". I have also dropped down to a 16t sprocket on the front and up to a 43t on the rear which fits my riding style perfectly! :thumbup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want a day trip, ride out to the shore and I'll throw the Yosh on your bike.

Iz
Generous offer Iz!:thumbup: A trip to the Eastern Shore never hurt anybody!

I still need to get a VA safety inspection and will try to find a place that can do the Yosh box too. If not, I may take you up on that offer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts