StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first v-storm or should I say wee last month. Was thinking of buying a 2012 but then this 2011 came up at a blow out price and I couldn't resist. Lucky this is a mild winter with no mess on the roads and I was able to put 316 miles on in three nice days of driving. You have to start late and end early this time of year but I'm thankful I'm getting to ride at all. Should be nice for the next couple of days so I'm hopping a little more riding is in store. So far I must say this is everything I'm hopping for as far as a traveling bike.:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Sorry, but the Gold Wing is better for touring, the BMW GS may be better for heavy adverntue touring, the Ducati is better in the twisties, the Hayabusa is better for top speed, the GSX is better on the track, a DL400 is better off road, and a Harley attracts more attention (particularly without pipes)

However, if you want to do all that without switching bikes back and forth at each intersection, you got the right bike.

You got the right colour too. Best for picking up chicks - unless you're married. Then it's just nice.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
....a DL400 is better off road,.....

You got the right colour too. Best for picking up chicks - unless you're married. Then it's just nice.
DL400 ?:confused: got a pic?

White vstrom and pick up chicks- nah -:biggrinjester: unless she's one of strom sisters or have alternative taste.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I must say I like it pretty good so far stormdog. Seat and buffering don't seem to be a problem with me. I did get this to replace my GS adventure so I know a little about adventure touring now I'll just do it on a budget.:green_lol: By the way fredellarby I have a little stable of bikes going already, Know anybody looking for a slightly used GS?

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
"I was able to put 316 miles on in three nice days of driving".

Your name isn't Tim Tebow is it? :green_lol:

·
Registered
523 Posts
If this is a new Vstrom 2011 then you'll find (like all else here) that the bike just gets better the more miles you put on. I'm at 13,000 on my Wee and it is still getting better. The bike will develop a nicer tone and you'll get used to her.

Things you might notice:
1) The bike is quiet - so those clacks and ticks that are typically covered by louder bikes are quite loud. You'll just learn to love them.
2) The bike gets banged around BAD by cross-winds with the stock windscreen. I cut my stock screen down to make a shorty sporty screen. No more getting bashed in the wind.
3) Chain noise - especially when driving near a jersey barrier. Its completely normal. After your first chain wears out (mine was gone at 12,000), you'll likely replace with a better chain/sprocket set and the sound will be gone. Ahhhhh.
4) Decel wobble at 40-35mph with hands off bars. It happens to many here. Some seem to make it go away with different tires/fork braces. Mine is there. I am used to it and just keep my hands on the bars when decelerating.
5) Narrow handgrips. Grip puppies are an awesome and cheap fix. I need a new pair. I think I got mine from casporttouring.com ... I think.
6) Rear brake isn't the best. I replaced with an upgraded brake pad and it seems a bit better. Front brakes are adequate for me.

There's more of course. But these are the big things that most new owners come back here with. The Wee is a great cycle and everytime I find myself looking at other bikes, I just ride my Wee and am reminded why it is all I need. It is truly the Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles. It is capable of far more than I am as a rider both on and off road. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'm glad you like your new bike. I love my 2009. Keep in mind though that the killer deal you can get on leftover 2011s is probably offset by the higher resale of the 2012s. So you probably didn't save any money in the long run. It's cost of ownership not purchase price that matters.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
DL400 ?:confused: got a pic?

White vstrom and pick up chicks- nah -:biggrinjester: unless she's one of strom sisters or have alternative taste.
1.OOPS! A DR400 is pretty good too.

2. Chicks. It does work. I got one.

I'm glad you like your new bike. I love my 2009. Keep in mind though that the killer deal you can get on leftover 2011s is probably offset by the higher resale of the 2012s. So you probably didn't save any money in the long run. It's cost of ownership not purchase price that matters.
Phthbbbbt. :mod2_tt2:

·
Registered
21 Posts
"I was able to put 316 miles on in three nice days of driving".

Your name isn't Tim Tebow is it? :green_lol:
LOL!

Can't be.

If it was Tebow, it would have been 316 miles starting from his home at 316 Some Street and riding for 3 days and 16 hours. Each day, he'd have parked his scoot at precisely 3:16 and as he headed home, he'd have taken exit 316 off the super slab...

For the record, I'm not making fun of Tebow. I'm a 3:16-er myself. Go, Tebow!

http://bible.us/John3.16.ESV

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funny I didn't get the tebow thing but I guess he's a little screwy,:hurray: just like me.:green_lol: Anyway I got 551 miles on now so that won't matter anymore.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I got mine on a Tuesday..... needed my 1000K service by Saturday.......

101,000k later still loving it....

K9 Touring Edition...

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts