StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 DL -1000 w/ 6K. Bike has been pretty constantly doing this sputtering for a few weeks now (no problems prior ). Mostly at a consistant speed and RPM (3000 to 3500) . Sputtering / caughing seems to come from the intake (but just guessing ). It stops with change throttle position either way. I'll check out the intake manifold clamps that someone mentioned . My bike has a two brothers exhaust / K&N filter . Might a powercommander chip help with the lean running problems mentioned in the forum?? Any advice appreciated. It's my only problem really, well bike related anyway. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
17,009 Posts
have you ever checked the throttle position sensor adjustment or done throttle body sync ?
That is a smart thing to do for sure....but this bike is starving for fuel big time "mega lean" you need a PCIII to get things where they need to be.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Another option for fueling issues would be to get on the Teka or Yosh box loaner list from the V-Strom Riders International forum.
The Teka FI tool was real easy to use and erased the sputter my 1k had at 3500-3600 rpm.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - Dynamax Power Commander ordered and on the way..

Hope the commander 3 will do the trick.. Checked the intake band clamps . They were fine. Won't seem to do it when in neutral keeping rpm's constant , only while riding at 3500 rpm speeds.

On my way out today only sputtered once or twice , was really acting up on the way home though .

·
Registered
988 Posts
PCIII worked miracles for my 06. If you have a laptop you can plug in while the bike is running. You can download the maps here and play with it yourself if you want to tweak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having the very same issue. Took it to my mechanics and they synced the throttle bodies but it’s still just as shitty from 3k-3.5k. Its an 04 DL1000 with 5700 miles on it. PCIII time???

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,307 Posts
Throttle bodies are important. But you also need to set the TPS to raise at 17-1800 rpm, check all the boots are in place and tight on the throttle bodies, and I like the difference iridium spark plugs make in that rpm/load range. THEN sync the throttle bodies....then set idle rpm to 1300. If that does not cure or help the problem enough to live with, then a PC is the next step.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all.

I got a 004 DL1000 and it’s doing the same thing. My mechanic synched the throttle bodies three times confirming they are now spot on. Still doing it. So frustrating because it’s right at cruising rpms of 3k-3500. The throttle bodies seem to be on ok my mechanic doesn’t know what else to do. I know from reading here the PC FC helps but how hard are they to install?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Hello all.

I got a 004 DL1000 and it’s doing the same thing. My mechanic synched the throttle bodies three times confirming they are now spot on. Still doing it. So frustrating because it’s right at cruising rpms of 3k-3500. The throttle bodies seem to be on ok my mechanic doesn’t know what else to do. I know from reading here the PC FC helps but how hard are they to install?
Did your mechanic set the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)? This setting MUST be correct and often is not. Then - as Terry said - do the TBS (Throttle Body Sync).

Once ALL that is done, if it is still sputtering at 3000-3500, get a PC (III USB or V).

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
You can do whatever you like, but I had to have my ECU remapped to richen the fuel settings at the lower rpms. I did all the things recommended above and my bike still stumbled under partial throttle at that exact RPM range. Remapping is cheaper, but you can tune it out with a fuel controller also.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My 2012 had a recall in 2013 or 2014 to replace the ECU for this same condition. Once it was replaced, it was like a completely new bike.

·
Administrator
17,009 Posts
My 2012 had a recall in 2013 or 2014 to replace the ECU for this same condition. Once it was replaced, it was like a completely new bike.
Yeah that ECM swap worked fine for some but not others.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts