StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promised myself I would do a yearly report. Here is the 3rd edition.

The dl1000 just keeps on going, by far the best bike I have owned. It has the hiccup at 2-3k but I live with it, and it doesn't bother me cause I keep it above 3k most of the time. Apart from that , I just change oil and feed it new tyres and brakes. Its getting worst as far as 1st to second goes and it jumps out a bit , particularity when you have a quick fang off the lights but its only a 1 in 5. If I pre-load the shifter its a little better. Its no biggie though.I think it may be my boots wearing in the shifter region.
I changed gear lever positions and I thought I had it fixed, but alas it returned.

It's now done about 60k, and I am certain I got a good one.

This year spend list was new, oil, tyres, brakes, air filter, and fork oil.

Its due for valves , but I want to learn myself so will get to it one day.

Well catch ya next year.
Cheers
Mike

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Good to here, my DL1000 has 15,500 on it (miles) and it is doing the same things you mentioned. Only pops out of gear when the front wheel slams back down from doing a wheelie. I intend to check the valves myself soon, gagged up $90 for a service manual.

I did a 1200 mile trip to Indiana last weekend to see my brother, the weather man screwed me. I was sure wishing I had a full touring bike like a Goldwing at times, but now that I'm home and the weathers nice I like the Vee.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I do not want this to be an "Oil Thread" .What oil are you running ? Is your gear problem worse near when the bike needs an oil change or is it the same with fresh oil ?.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Hey Mike

With Graham here.
Try to run Motul 1000 (or similar) dino-oil next time, you might be surprised.
If (when) thing improve (1.to2. slippage), keep going with non-synth for a while before going back to semi-synth (forget full-synth on the VEE).

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Sloppy gear shifts

Sometimes my foot is lazy and I don't quite snick properly into gear. For me, the correct position for the gear leaver is between the spline positions on the shaft.
I fixed the problem by slipping a 25mm ( 1 inch) piece of heater hose over the gear lever rubber. It's now nice and fat and is a " just right" fit for my size 10. Maybe this could be of help to you.

Saturn 5...... the work horse.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks,

Will give it a go , with a bit of pipe over the lever. I got a strong feeling my boots are the culprit. Will try and then report back. I am due new boots as the others are almost done.

I use Motul semi synthetic. Always have always will.
thanks guys.

I fixed the problem by slipping a 25mm ( 1 inch) piece of heater hose over the gear lever rubber. It's now nice and fat and is a " just right" fit for my size 10. Maybe this could be of help to you.

Saturn 5...... the work horse.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
944 Posts
Mike:

Thanks for posting.

Your bike has not had a valve adjust in 60K? Wow...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts